One killer removed from the water, another escapes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure your post on OC Diving News will attract Kurt Lieber's attention if he hasn't already seen it here.

The dead animals entrapped in netting is disturbing.

Kudos to your efforts and the volunteer support offered on this board.

You know, I've read and heard much about the dangers of these nets, but nothing quite captures the horror like these images. Ugh thats worse than I ever imagined, possibly the most disturbing thing I've ever seen. Thank you for your efforts.

Nick

I'm sure your post on OC Diving News will attract Kurt Lieber's attention if he hasn't already seen it here.
TecP(Phil) is doing a lot of work behind the scenes and hopefully Kurt and his team will remove the net next weekend or at least sometime soon. I hope this story has a happy ending. I would love to post pictures of a removed net rather than one continuing to kill.

Proposition 132, passed by the voters in 1990, created a Marine Resources Protection Zone within three miles of the mainland coast, and in waters less than 70 fathoms (420 feet) or within one nautical mile of the Channel Islands, whichever is less. The initiative banned the use of gill and trammel nets in these waters beginning in 1994.
Commercial fishermen sought an injunction to allow them to continue setting nets in the Hunting Flats area. This was denied twice by a San Diego judge, ruling that the injunction had no merit. Despite this ruling, there are still dozens of gillnets in Huntington Flats. I have contacted DFG and am waiting for a reply.

I still think that the general public needs to see these photos.

Powerful images like these can make history.

Please get them to the press.

I received some good news. If you still want to help, Kurt is looking for two more divers.
Hi Phil,
I am going to go out there with my boat on Saturday. I already contacted the coast guard and they will probably send one of their boats out with us so they can remove this net. It is just too big and cumbersome for me to handle. Do you want to go with us? I have space for 6 divers and 4 are already taken. Feel free to give me a call if you want to talk about it.
Kurt Lieber
Ocean Defenders Alliance
714-968-4921

They are always looking for more divers to help remove abandoned nets and traps. If you have time to help, this would be a great opportunity.

Yep, Kurt contacted me, too. It is certainly something I'd love to do, but am currently tied up next weekend. Phil, if you go, ask anyone who takes video (or stills) if I can use their footage or stills in my public access TV show to get these images out to some of the non-diving public (obviously with credits to them).

It's a great job you guys are setting out to do! But I feel it's in it's place with a warning to any average divers out there reading this. Removing gill nets while scuba diving is not something you should try, unless you are prepared, and know how much of a risk you are putting yourself in. Please, in most cases reporting findings to the authorities is the best way. -Instead of trying something you're not really up to.

Exactly! After seeing the size and power of the net first hand I realized this is not a job for recreational divers. The trawl net we brought up was relatively small and we were able to get it up with only one liftbag. Thankfully, the USCG may now be involved in the removal. I'm grateful for all the help and offers this posting has produced. The dive community never ceases to amaze me with its willingness to get involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom