One killer removed from the water, another escapes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We went out in a group of seven divers today to try to remove or at least disable a gill net that has several dead sea lions and cormorants in it. We dropped down in two groups and worked areas about fifty feet apart. My group quickly removed a trawl net that had covered a rocky reef. It was a great feeling watching the entire net rocket to the surface via lift bag. We later hauled it aboard the first boat. A buddy of the Captain will use it as decoration in his back yard. While down there, Merry spotted an Atagema alba nudibranch. I've only seen two, and unfortunately left my camera onboard as this was a working dive.
The second dive was more disturbing. A monofiliment net was hopelessly entangled on the reef and was host to dead sea lions and Cormorants as far as we could swim. There was a black flag more than a quarter mile away, indicating that the net was possible that long or more. Merry was able to save a large Sheepcrab. Hopefully he learned his lesson. The net will continue to kill until it is removed. It was much too long to try any removal from close to 100 feet deep.
Once again, Merry was the great nudi spotter. She pointed out a Red-tipped dorid just as we were about to begin our ascent.
The surface water was filled with moon jellies, which made the 52F water bearable for me.
Picture003.jpg

The silent Killer

Picture006.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Death and destruction as far as the eye can see

Picture017.jpg

Merry rescues a large Sheep crab

There were some living animals there.
Picture037.jpg

Red-tipped dorid

Picture052.jpg

Picture053.jpg

Moon jellies everywhere

Picture054.jpg

I've had enough fun for one day

Sobering.

Thank you for all that you and your dive buddies are doing.

Would taking these pix and your story to the press do anything towards cutting down on the use of these killers?

That's really gross, and with the amount of growth on the net, it looks like it has been there for a really long time. Did you report it to the DFG?

Hi Phil,
If you guys need some volunteers I'm available & I'm sure other divers would be willing to help.

John

Great job you guys! Thank you for tremendous efforts!

Phil,

Where was this located? Either post here or PM me and I will let my buddy Kurt and his organization (Ocean Defenders Alliance) know about this.
Ocean Defenders Alliance
He just got his new boat up and running and is ready to help clean up the SoCal waters of abandoned netting. His boat is currently based out of the Wilmington area.

Good work you guys/gals did.

Phil

How did you know where the nets were located? Are they in or near dive spots? If so, wouldn't they pose a hazard to divers also? Monofiliment is difficult to see (especially in dark/low vis water), and with a net that big it seems like its a potential entanglement hazard to people AND marine life.. Geez... those pics were depressing :(

Back
Top Bottom