Once dry, do you ever go back to wet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I much prefer to dive in just a bathing suit.
If it's too cold for that, I'll wear a shorty.
If it's too cold for that, I'll wear a thin full wetsuit.
If it's too cold for that, I'll wear a thicker full wetsuit.
If it's too cold for that, I'll wear a dry suit.
That said, I find that the borderline temps for each transition have crept upwards pretty steadily over the last four decades :)
Today, for example, I dove dry... OAT was near 60, water temp 68.
Rick
P.S. I also only use a BP/Wing with doubles. :)

You mentioned that wetsuit diving was like "being part of the water." I agree. Although I appreciate the advantages of the drysuit, I prefer the "feel" of wetsuit diving. Here in San Diego I'll dust off the old 7mm wetsuit for summer diving (water temp high 60s). My drysuit adds a noticeable amount of drag during the kick out on shore dives, so I'm very happy to be zipping around in the wetsuit.

The drysuit is indispensable for deep dives, night dives, boat dives, and fall/winter/spring diving.

When I'm lucky enough to go on a tropical dive vacation, I'll bring along the 3mm wetsuit.

Don't ditch the wetsuit yet! There's still a time and place for it.

I dive all year round, and keep my wetsuit in the cupboard during the cold periods, but when the weather warms up, I sometimes dive in it over a dry suit - especially on hot days.

I also dive wet when I go cray/lobster diving, as I've had a friend ruin his brand new wrist seal tangling with one of these creatures. I'd prefer a lobster to get a piece of my wetsuit rather than my drysuit. :)

I don't mind the wetsuit, but I must admit that the drysuit has made me a bit lazy.

I love diving dry, for all of the above stated reasons. If the water is cold enough for a 7mm wetsuit, then no question, I dive dry. But, if the water if warm enough for a 5mm wetsuit or thinner, then I definitely dive wet. Best of both worlds. Works out to about 50/50.

Ditto to Uncle Rick. Why the heck anyone would choose a dry suit in equatorial diving is beyond me.

I bought a drysuit in nov 06 and haven't dove wet locally since. It was great to dive all winter, under the ice, in the cold spring and last week when it was cold, windy and crappy(above the water). Since getting a drysuit I have moved to a BP/W and my dive times now average 60 minutes, at 35-41F so i think the drysuit has allowed me to spend more time enjoying what I like. In a wetsuit I wouldn't last for those long dives at 100 feet. I just went Argon so I can spend more time down there because if I'm not swimming during DECO I was shivering, but I haven't got out yet (Honey, TRIMIX isn't that expensive, I've already bought the Argon bottle!!?)

I have kept my double 7mm because resale prices on ebay hover around $30-50 so if I have a friend come, maybe they could use it or if I ever get back to the carribean, diving 5 times a day made me cold in my 3mm.

Every dive in the great Lakes is 35-41F year round. Drysuit was the best/most money I spent all at once, on diving.:D

The only time I've dove wet since getting a drysuit has been in Truk & Hawaii, where I dove a 1mil wetsuit.

A long surface swim in a drysuit blows! I love my DS but only wear it when conditions demand it.
Single dive with water temp in 60s and sunny day,.. dive wet.
Single dive- same water temp, rainy day,...dry.
Same water temp, w/ repetitive dives,...definitely dry.
And so on.

I love the simplicity of a wet suit, and the versatility of a drysuit

~Steve~

I use different sets of underwear for my dry suit and a few different combinations for my wet suit, the choice is based on conditions and MY comfort. There is no reason to be uncomfortable, wet or dry. Also, anyone who has dove dry for any length of time has probably gotten to feel the water at least once.

Back
Top Bottom