Once dry, do you ever go back to wet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a multi suit diver. Although I like my drysuit, I do miss diving wet. Diving dry when the water temps drop to "uncomfortable" makes diving enjoyable again. The fact that water temperature never even crosses my mind while in a drysuit is relaxing, I prefer to be wet. So I am looking forward to those early summer days when the So. Cal waters warm so that I can comfortably dive wet again. For me the happy number is 57. If the water is 57 degrees or below; without question that'll be a dry dive. Above 57 degrees, the answer may vary depending upon the dive, conditions, and my dive buddy if applicable. But that's just me.

Lake Erie stays in the low to mid 40s even when the surface is 70+. I don't miss the wet suit in that aspect.

That's one intersting aspect about diving in the ocean.

The "buoys" are reading the temp at 76 degrees. But what is the temp at 100'????

One thing about a wet suit, you can always open a cuff or the neck and bring in some cool water to cool off, but ya best not be a'doin that with a dry suit.

the K

I've personally never felt too warm during a dive either wet or dry. Before or after, sure, but during?

I've dived dry from about 35 F to 80 F and been cold once or twice but never warm enough for it to be uncomfortable.

I DID try it for ONE dive. And even though it was a Florida spring, it felt like the arctic. Air temps were near 100F, and I just wanted some relief.
Boy, I can relate to this!!! I dove Ginnie Springs in May in a 3mm wetsuit, and I thought I was ice diving, even though the water was 70 degrees.:D I dive dry almost all the time now. If the coastal NC waters are above 75, AND I am diving singles, AND the air temps are above 80, I might go wet. In the Keys or Caribbean, I will also go wet, although I use a full 3mm and a hooded Microprene vest. What I found with my DS is that, over time as I became more facile in donning / doffing it, it is just as easy (for me) to dive dry, and more comfortable. Yes, the challenges of 95F, 100% humidity in the summer can make it a little daunting on shore, but I still prefer it.

I'll let you know when I finally use my first dry suit this month (thanks Pete).

I've had several female dive buddies who have gone over to the dry side... and then come back. Most of the reasons were due to the encumbrance of diving with a dry suit vs the fluid ease of diving wet. Personally I tolerate water down to about 48 F fairly well, but look forward to diving colder waters with the dry suit.

I dive both Dry & Wet depending on the season or location. Yeah, I know about the "tropical dry-suits" but for me the exposure protection doesn't differ from any other sport, meaning its situationally dictated. When I went to Utila, Cozumel, etc.., I take the good ole Bare 3/2. When its cold or the conditions call for it I wear something more appropriate. Ya'know, like layering during the winter.
Oh yeah! When I teach, I always wear what the students are in and 90% of the time that means a wetsuit.

I LOVE my BARE Velocity 5/4. It is perfect for our summers. However by early to mid October it's all dry for me. Like durkadiver says drysuits are brutal in the hot sun. I dive wet whenever possible, then again I'm kind of a Polarbear I dont so much mind the cold til it drops below 50F.

I suggest feeling it out for yourself. Switch back and forth a couple times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom