On no island like Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the most common sense solution that I have heard.

It works on so many different levels. Divers are happy, the kids get hard cash. Have the kids supervised by the marine park who issue a badge or vest. Make it part of the orientation that the kids work for tips and suggest a rate per diver. I envision kids bidding for choice dive sites. God forbid, that a really good site gets taken away from a kid because of theft.

Vince, Pilot Fish, this idea can work. What makes it feasible is that the locals will be fully invested in the protection of divers rather than a few of them acting like predators. This idea creates a new service industry for low skilled workers and increases the interaction between the divers and the residents in a positive light.

I think it would totally work, and there are many historical examples to back this up. I believe the Mafia refers to this as "paying for protection".

A few points:

1) Don't Bonairean kids have to be in school on school days, just like all kids?

2) Since Bonaire is part of the Netherlands and thus the EU, might there not be child labor laws that would prevent children from acting as defacto unarmed security guards?

3) The kids that sign up for this would be targeted by their criminal peers and the adults that undoubtedly hire them, hence it might be hard to convince them unless the money is really good. At some point, it might cost too much. Most of us are used to leaving nothing in our trucks at the dive site and apparently that works fine for us or we wouldn't go back. How much are we really willing to spend per dive for the safekeeping of a couple T-shirts and bottles of water?

A few points:

1) Don't Bonairean kids have to be in school on school days, just like all kids?

2) Since Bonaire is part of the Netherlands and thus the EU, might there not be child labor laws that would prevent children from acting as defacto unarmed security guards?

3) The kids that sign up for this would be targeted by their criminal peers and the adults that undoubtedly hire them, hence it might be hard to convince them unless the money is really good. At some point, it might cost too much. Most of us are used to leaving nothing in our trucks at the dive site and apparently that works fine for us or we wouldn't go back. How much are we really willing to spend per dive for the safekeeping of a couple T-shirts and bottles of water?

4) And, after it is established, functional and helpful, what happens if a diver does not want to "hire" the "protection" of one of the "security" people, kids or not kids?

4) And, after it is established, functional and helpful, what happens if a diver does not want to "hire" the "protection" of one of the "security" people, kids or not kids?

Won't be an issue, they'll make him an offer he can't refuse.

A few points:

What time of day are the kids stealing. Who says the kids need to be there during school hours. I am sure that there is a way to get the locals that are upstanding involved.

Good thing to check into. Most countries allow children to work if payed properly. Even the States.

Same question was asked when the heroin growers where paid to grow the food crops again. Just pay us what me make doing the wrong thing they said.
In all likelyhood it is a small group doing alot of crime. We target the kids in the rough neighbourhoods in Edmonton. We give them free clothes and feed them during the day so they are not hungry. We make sure they have lunches at school. I am not saying this is your social problem. For the system to work the kids need to be stable. But you are right sometimes if the diver is smart it will only be a shirt and bottles that go missing. So either teach the appathetic tourist to not create the temptations or help the kids. Take your pick. I suppose there is one other choice dont give a $hit what happens to anyone elses gear or anyone else on this planet cause your just there to dive.:D kev

Sure, help the kids, I agree. Just wanted to point out that it's not so easy, especially in a first world/third world place like Bonaire that wants to be a lawless Caribbean island but is in reality a provice of the Netherlands.

As for "Most countries allow children to work if payed properly. Even the States" I don't think you'll find any laws authorizing children under 18 to work as security guards in the states. Maybe that's OK in Canada, you just hand out hakkapiks and let them fight it out, but in the U.S. and civilized countries in the EU, we prefer our security guards to be adults. "Watching" gear sounds innocent, but if the kids are threatened by adults wanting to steal the gear, who is going to protect the children then?

a first world/third world place like Bonaire that wants to be a lawless Caribbean island but is in reality a provice of the Netherlands.

MM.. Don't quite understand your posting when you say Bonaire "wants to be a lawless Caribbean island"? Huh?? :confused:

Same question was asked when the heroin growers where paid to grow the food crops again. Just pay us what me make doing the wrong thing they said.
Huh?

I don't see how hiring a teen or young adult to watch my stuff relates to growing heroin, security work or many of the over-the-top negative connotations some people are attempting to place on it. I don't expect them to be a security guard. I expect them to be a babysitter of the truck and gear. If someone comes to take that gear or truck I only expect them to take notes for the police... BUT, I really think a body just sitting there will be deterrent enough. People stealing at dive sites are working the "no one is around" angle, not the who can we beat up angle.

MM.. Don't quite understand your posting when you say Bonaire "wants to be a lawless Caribbean island"? Huh?? :confused:
I dunno, doesn't everyone want to be a lawless Caribbean island? I do.

I don't see how hiring a teen or young adult to watch my stuff relates to growing heroin, security work or many of the over-the-top negative connotations some people are attempting to place on it. I don't expect them to be a security guard. I expect them to be a babysitter of the truck and gear. If someone comes to take that gear or truck I only expect them to take notes for the police... BUT, I really think a body just sitting there will be deterrent enough. People stealing at dive sites are working the "no one is around" angle, not the who can we beat up angle.
Sure, now that people will be encouraged to leave all their valuables behind in the trucks, their laptops, their jewels, their mink coats, you want some 10 year old kids to "take notes" while the thieves loot the place. That sounds like a completely safe environment for them. The thieves will simply babysit the kids while the kids take notes on who to report to the police. Completely credible, and I'm sure you can convince the kids to do it for a buck or so, throw in a pack of cigarettes and it's a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom