On no island like Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said. I don't know how anybody can can see it any other way then the way you put it unless they have another agenda or for whatever reason want to be in denial.
Look back at responses... The poster is the only one to make the statement... and no one has jumped in to back THAT statement

I was talking to somebody at a dive shop about going to Bonaire and they brought up the crime issue, they brought up a point that I thought is worth repeating. It was in regard to how some of the white washers have a pretty predictable series of points they like to make, one of them being the comparison to crime in the US.
This entire line from you sounds just like it... a line...[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess I was mistaken in my assumption that Vince was responding to me. My apologies for my mistake and for jumping to a conclusion. I agree that a prudent person will take reasonable steps to avoid being a victim of crime in any situation. I understand and comply with the windows down/nothing of value "rule," but I still feel that there is way too much effort made to downplay crimes on Bonaire. I went to Bonaire and may go to Bonaire again not because there isn't crime, but because I weighed the risks and benefits based on the information I could find.

In any event, I don't accept the concept that people who are victims of theft and far more importantly, victims of burglaries, are the "cause" of the crimes. Crimes do happen everywhere, but it seems to me that on Bonaire it is more tolerated. Maybe not, but that is how it seems and that concept irritates me.

In any event, I don't accept the concept that people who are victims of theft and far more importantly, victims of burglaries, are the "cause" of the crimes. Crimes do happen everywhere, but it seems to me that on Bonaire it is more tolerated. Maybe not, but that is how it seems and that concept irritates me.
Maybe it is tolerated, just like many of us tolerate the fact that anyone jogging in Central Park alone at 3 a.m. "deserves" to get mugged. It would be wonderful to live in a world without crime, but unfortunately where there is opportunity combined with human greed and/or necessity, crime will occur. At least in Bonaire, one can jog at 3 a.m. and probably not get mugged.

In Bonaire, the opportunity of valuables left behind in an unattended truck in a remote area is just as tempting to local kids, if not more, than an empty city wall in the U.S. is tempting to local kids with spray paint. Petty crime satisfies the urge that many adolescents have to act out against authority.

Here in my locale, no one would dare leave their car unattended even in a populated area without locking it securely, setting the alarm, and likely having one or more disabling or tracking devices, all to prevent theft. Some people even have stereos that can be easily removed from the car. Why do we tolerate theft by having to pay for all these anti-theft measures out of our own pockets when it would be so much "easier" to simply catch all the car thieves and jail them? Why can't we leave our cars unlocked with the windows rolled down in SoCal like we can in Bonaire?

I had a lapse of judgment and let myself get drawn into this thread. These arguments have been going on forever and nothing is said that wasn't said in similar threads years ago. I suppose some people read them and are influenced by them but have the good sense not to post anything. For the people routinely posting in these threads it is just the same arguments over and over again and nothing changes.

I'm going to bow out and leave you all to it. Best wishes to all.

Wow quite a read. I have never been to Bonaire, I will one day. My friends have all raved about the place. None have been criminally touched to date. Are we that stupid to think there is no crime there. They just happened to be where the criminals weren't the days they where diving/shopping/dining.
I have been to places that say 'watch out crime is low but it happens'. So this is what I do. If I'm with a group this is cheaper, I find a local that is working where I'm staying.I ask if they have a kid to hire for the day to safe guard the cars we are driving while we site see/dive. I usually have a lunch brought for them and drinks. I make it comfortable for them while they watch the stuff that had to be left behind.
I have never had any valuables stolen from me while traveling when I do this.
At some parking lots on Cozumel island there are attendants. If you tip them they will was your car and make sure no one goes near it. They take a lot of pride in their job. At Palancar beach I have seen the same old guy there for the last ten years. I usually leave my stuff in the trunk. Leave the windows down a bit. Unlock the doors. The trunk release is disabled. The first time I just tipped him a dollar when I got out of the car. He cleaned the flipping thing. So now when I go and park there I give him 5$. He cleans the inside now. And puts a piece of cardboard on the windshield to keep some sun heat out. Wow. I need to have that kind of pride in my job.
I think I will move to Bonaire and start a company up with kids that need help. Anyone up for tipping them to watch the gear. It's a sad truth but a real one. If something like this is not started this topic will never quit. The tourists need to help the local kids out with this. That will shut down the bad guys. I believe that if the kids are targeted for ways to be legit the parents would be all over that to participate to have their kids involved.
Now the argument will ensue that 'it's not my concern to save the kids on the island'. Sure it's not but it will help the island out to be safer and the overall cost would be minimal. All share a little bit in tips or roll the dice to whether or not it's you turn for your gear to be stolen. just a thought. kev

Wow quite a read. I have never been to Bonaire, I will one day. My friends have all raved about the place. None have been criminally touched to date. Are we that stupid to think there is no crime there. They just happened to be where the criminals weren't the days they where diving/shopping/dining.

I think I will move to Bonaire and start a company up with kids that need help. Anyone up for tipping them to watch the gear. It's a sad truth but a real one. If something like this is not started this topic will never quit. The tourists need to help the local kids out with this. That will shut down the bad guys. I believe that if the kids are targeted for ways to be legit the parents would be all over that to participate to have their kids involved.

Now the argument will ensue that 'it's not my concern to save the kids on the island'. Sure it's not but it will help the island out to be safer and the overall cost would be minimal. All share a little bit in tips or roll the dice to whether or not it's you turn for your gear to be stolen. just a thought. kev

That is the most common sense solution that I have heard.

It works on so many different levels. Divers are happy, the kids get hard cash. Have the kids supervised by the marine park who issue a badge or vest. Make it part of the orientation that the kids work for tips and suggest a rate per diver. I envision kids bidding for choice dive sites. God forbid, that a really good site gets taken away from a kid because of theft.

Vince, Pilot Fish, this idea can work. What makes it feasible is that the locals will be fully invested in the protection of divers rather than a few of them acting like predators. This idea creates a new service industry for low skilled workers and increases the interaction between the divers and the residents in a positive light.

That is the most common sense solution that I have heard. It works on so many different levels. Divers are happy, the kids get hard cash. Have the kids supervised by the marine park who issue a badge or vest. Make it part of the orientation that the kids work for tips and suggest a rate per diver.

Vince, Pilot Fish, this idea can be made to work. What makes it feasible is that the locals will be fully invested in the protection of divers rather than a few of them as predators. This idea creates a new service industry for low skilled workers and increases the interaction between the divers and the residents.
zactly! can I move there now and start it up.:D

... I think I will move to Bonaire and start a company up with kids that need help. Anyone up for tipping them to watch the gear. It's a sad truth but a real one. If something like this is not started this topic will never quit. The tourists need to help the local kids out with this. That will shut down the bad guys. I believe that if the kids are targeted for ways to be legit the parents would be all over that to participate to have their kids involved....kev
Actually, this is an excellent idea! I believe we (a group of 30+ SB divers) will try to begin the implementation of this very service this year when we begin our journey at the end of June...

Perhaps we can start a new service that will combat the negative service that has been prevalent on this island... I, personally would not expect them to "get into a brawl", But... take information about license plates, people etc... to be handed to the police.... Quite an opportunity to quell attacks at dive sites and give law enforcement a chance to be proactive!

Is it really possible that we can ALL agree upon this?? If so, I will personally nominate Driftwood to head off and address the many standoffs in the middle east. And after he solves those problems, on to the U.N.!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom