On no island like Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DV, truth be told, the ONLY thing that is BOOMING on Bonaire is crime i.e., break-ins of rental condos and hotel rooms.

Well PF, in the memorable words of one of our beloved past presidents "there you go again". :wink:

I see you just couldn't stay away from this thread for long. I guess you just can't help yourself. That's OK, I understand, you have your needs.

As the original BB (that's Bonaire Basher by the way) I'm sure you would be the one to know what's really going on regarding current activities on Bonaire. After all, when was the last time you were on the island? How many times were you on the island and how much time have you spent there? I ask this rhetorically since I know full well you'll never answer and you don't want to admit how little you really do know about Bonaire. But between you & me, everyone who reads this board knows the answers. So carry on and do your thing. It apparently satisfies some deep seated psychological need of yours.

Well PF, in the memorable words of one of our beloved past presidents "there you go again". :wink:

You just can't imagine how hilarious that is coming from you. Were you seeing yourself reflected?:wink:

I see you just couldn't stay away from this thread for long. I guess you just can't help yourself. That's OK, I understand, you have your needs.

Again, that is histerical coming from you.:eyebrow:

As the original BB (that's Bonaire Basher by the way) I'm sure you would be the one to know what's really going on regarding current activities on Bonaire. After all, when was the last time you were on the island? How many times were you on the island and how much time have you spent there? I ask this rhetorically since I know full well you'll never answer and you don't want to admit how little you really do know about Bonaire. But between you & me, everyone who reads this board knows the answers. So carry on and do your thing. It apparently satisfies some deep seated psychological need of yours.

Yes, you are the original BB = Bonaire Booster. You never cease to post glowing statements of how Bonaire is just a sleepy, dive paradise, all the while brushing aside the numerous reports of condo invasions, theft that no sane person could call "petty." You just see things through your condo owner lenses and fail to grasp the seriousness of the crime on Bonaire. DV, be part of the solution?

Please understand that I don't have a dog in this fight, but I couldn't help myself.

On the way to work yesterday I came upon one of those flashing signs from the Sherriff's Office in the median of the road and it said "Help Prevent Crime.....Lock Vehicle Doors".

When I saw that I thought of this thread and busted my gut laughing. Seems our local Sherriff does not know the proper way to prevent crime.

Sorry, but I could not help myself.

Back to your normal bickering.
Your local Sheriff knows the proper way to prevent crime in your local area... :D

The Edmonton Police put a police car fully decaled with a huge sign on it's roof that says. 'Caution this is high theft crime area, do not put valuables in your cars and lock the doors of your vehicle.'
These cars are not just placed in the economically depressed areas. They are put in the areas where the homes are worth a million dollars. They probably have better stuff to steal anyway.
Hey Pilot Fish how many times have you been to the island. I never have been yet.
I dont think I've been anywhere in the world where theft isnt an issue of some sort.
As far as the idea of using 'children' to solve the situation. I put it out there as a discussion. Not the total solution, have your ever brainstormed with a group to come up with a solution for a design or problem? I have, some of the ideas that come out are way crazy but that can stimulate other thought to another idea that may work. When a crazy idea comes up noone shuts down the ideas person, we just keep going. It would be good if you would participate in the discussion to enhance the ideas or come up with solutions. No one is saying we are the answer. But sometimes the authorities at sites need help in implementing the ideas and forumalating a plan. I find your anger fascinating. As I do find fascinating that the well read didnt understand my story of the Afghanistan solution to heroin growing.
Pay the farmers more than the dope growers do.
I have never been to the dive sites at Bonaire, is there nothing the could be put there that divers would use before or after a dive. Or does everyone like the naturalness of the sites? Can the sites be set up to be temperary social sites or areas that have guides or locals explaining the region to tourists. I'm throwing this stuff out there to be pulled apart, and rearranged into a totally different idea or solution.
I think the people on this thread dont see themselves as saviours or the be all end all to the problems there, it's about can a bunch of foreigners possibly come up with an idea to help the local authority.
Has anyone ever talked to the authorities to see if they would even allow help from outside source.
I think when you say why dive at a destination that allows theft, then your right why go, but DO THEY SIMPLY TURN A BLIND EYE OR DO THEY JUST NEED HELP OR ARE THEY THE CORRUPT PARTY INVOLVED? But what I find fascinating is how angry you get at people that want to help in some way. should i go put on fire retardant clothes now.

My apologies to you. Was not aware that it was you that brought the idea up. As ideas go, it's fine, really. Vince owns a condo there, so is biased against people knowing the truth. He knows how unworkable that is. He is also very aware, as are some of the other BB, Bonaire Boosters, that the "police" are not over-worked or short handed, they are feckless and tolerate the crime. They do nada, nothing. That is the part that angers me, not any person in this thread, AND CERTAINLY NOT YOU. You are a fine chap.

There does not have to be any brain barnstorming [ Vince et al know that ] because the solution is clear, get police, real police, and have them do their damn job.

Again, sorry you thought I was being hard on you and your idea. My apologies.

Oh, one more thing, very important, this has been the same problem for the last 10 years, that I know of, same crimes and the same people acting shocked and wondering what to do about it. The other group are like Vince, they downplay the crime and call it petty and remind people it happens all over the World. Baloney!

The Edmonton Police put a police car fully decaled with a huge sign on it's roof that says. 'Caution this is high theft crime area, do not put valuables in your cars and lock the doors of your vehicle.'
These cars are not just placed in the economically depressed areas. They are put in the areas where the homes are worth a million dollars. They probably have better stuff to steal anyway.
Hey Pilot Fish how many times have you been to the island. I never have been yet.
I dont think I've been anywhere in the world where theft isnt an issue of some sort.
As far as the idea of using 'children' to solve the situation. I put it out there as a discussion. Not the total solution, have your ever brainstormed with a group to come up with a solution for a design or problem? I have, some of the ideas that come out are way crazy but that can stimulate other thought to another idea that may work. When a crazy idea comes up noone shuts down the ideas person, we just keep going. It would be good if you would participate in the discussion to enhance the ideas or come up with solutions. No one is saying we are the answer. But sometimes the authorities at sites need help in implementing the ideas and forumalating a plan. I find your anger fascinating. As I do find fascinating that the well read didnt understand my story of the Afghanistan solution to heroin growing.
Pay the farmers more than the dope growers do.
I have never been to the dive sites at Bonaire, is there nothing the could be put there that divers would use before or after a dive. Or does everyone like the naturalness of the sites? Can the sites be set up to be temperary social sites or areas that have guides or locals explaining the region to tourists. I'm throwing this stuff out there to be pulled apart, and rearranged into a totally different idea or solution.
I think the people on this thread dont see themselves as saviours or the be all end all to the problems there, it's about can a bunch of foreigners possibly come up with an idea to help the local authority.
Has anyone ever talked to the authorities to see if they would even allow help from outside source.
I think when you say why dive at a destination that allows theft, then your right why go, but DO THEY SIMPLY TURN A BLIND EYE OR DO THEY JUST NEED HELP OR ARE THEY THE CORRUPT PARTY INVOLVED? But what I find fascinating is how angry you get at people that want to help in some way. should i go put on fire retardant clothes now.

My apologies to you. Was not aware that it was you that brought the idea up. Baloney!

PF..It's obvious to me that there are many things that you are not aware of about Bonaire.

Everyone on this board knows of my involvement on Bonaire, it's stated on every posting I make. They really don't need you to state it like you know some secret fact. I don't try to hide it. What everyone does NOT know is WHY you carry this personal vendetta against the beautiful island of Bonaire. That is something, you have never come clean about no matter how many times numerous folks have asked.

Additionally, your statements about my views and me personally can very well be construed as being libelous. I would admonish you to be cautious on future postings. Freedom of speech and views is fine, however when the line of impinging my personal character is crossed, rest assured you are in dangerous territory.
I trust you will be guided accordingly.

A few points to consider:

The collective silliness of the Bonaire Boosters' suggestions on how to solve the crime problem on Bonaire is pathetic. I reread my PADI training manual and nowhere in it did it say anything about paying kids "tips" to protect dive gear?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

These backhanded "compliments" (Bonaire Boosters/Bashers) are thinly veiled insults and as such have no place in this conversation. If people can't converse with respect as adults I'm going to request they be removed from this conversation.

If you want to discuss silliness, how silly is it to say you looked in a PADI manual for destination specific information? I mean, c'mon really?

I even read the travel brochure on Bonaire and no mention of that laughable suggestion there either .
Why would you expect to find mention of a suggestion that was just brought up on a discussion board? Did you find any mention of things you suggested there? I'm guessing not...

Of course suggesting the "police" on Bonaire, or the Dutch Gov, do thier job is never mentioned. I mean, why do that?

A bad and dangerous problem involving criminals breaking into rented condos and hotel rooms, with the criminals ripping safes from the wall with crow bars, theft of tires from rental cars, car batteries missing, stealing dive gear left out to dry on hotel and condo balconys is met with humor, cheap jokes and all the seriousness of jay walking or a parking ticket offenses. You Bonaire Boosters must see how you are very much a part of the problem?

GREAT idea! Let's suggest that police and Govt EVERYWHERE start doing their job! Just think, we can wipe crime out worldwide!

DV, truth be told, the ONLY thing that is BOOMING on Bonaire is crime i.e., break-ins of rental condos and hotel rooms.
Got any stats to show that crime in Bonaire is any worse recently than anywhere else in the world? Is this the only place that is having a BOOMING increase in crime? Let's see some real statistics and hard facts, rather than a few anecdotal stories and opinions. Or maybe it's like airline crashes. You never hear about the tens of thousand people that arrive safely at a destination everyday, but one incident will make the news for weeks.

Now, a new twist, as reported on this board, theives are ripping safes from the wall and stealing tourist money and passports from thier rooms, even, sometimes, while tourists are asleep in the other room. Doesn't that concern you?
Maybe you should get a few signs and stand at your local airport to warn everyone that might be flying to Bonaire about the dangers? I'm sure not every Bonaire tourist reads this board to take advantage of your insight and wisdom on the crime problem. Personally, there are places I frequent in the US that I'm much more concerned about crime than I would be if I was traveling to Bonaire.

You suggest hire out of work kids for protection? :rofl3:You actually think that is safer than having the Boniare "police" do thier job? :shocked2:Ohhhhhhhhhhh, they don't ever do thier job in stopping crime on Bonaire? Oh, yeah, I see your point. Great solution:eyebrow: The Bonaire Boosters need to get together and rethink this.
Hmmmm... Yanno, this idea sounds remarkably similar to neighborhood watch programs. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the idea behind such programs is that the police can't be everywhere at once and having citizens watch and alert police when something is out of the ordinary has proven to be a good deterrent to crime. I can't think of a single place that uses such a program to replace police, it's designed to supplement. Maybe all those neighborhood watch programs could use some re-thinking as well?

In short, there is a reasonable expectation that a person that goes to Bonaire to dive, vaction, relax, should be able to do just that and not have to CONSTANTLY be on guard against crime. If that vacation spot, that dive locale, is not offering you protection from being a crime victim, why go there? Why spend your dive dollars, time and fuss to become a crime victim on vacation? If an island does not protect tourists, as Bonaire does not, why the hell go there, when there are plenty of dive places around the World that have more respect for the tourist?
In short, if someone has been made painfully aware, over and over again about the problems in Bonaire and choose to go there isn't that their right? Why spend your time fussing about their choice to go there ad nasueum? How about a little more respect for individuals right to make their own informed choices without you constantly berating them for it?

My apologies to you. Was not aware that it was you that brought the idea up. As ideas go, it's fine, really. Vince owns a condo there, so is biased against people knowing the truth. He knows how unworkable that is. He is also very aware, as are some of the other BB, Bonaire Boosters, that the "police" are not over-worked or short handed, they are feckless and tolerate the crime. They do nada, nothing. That is the part that angers me, not any person in this thread, AND CERTAINLY NOT YOU. You are a fine chap.

There does not have to be any brain barnstorming [ Vince et al know that ] because the solution is clear, get police, real police, and have them do their damn job.
Maybe we can start here and use this police force as precedence for the rest of the world: Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here

I have never been to the dive sites at Bonaire, is there nothing the could be put there that divers would use before or after a dive. Or does everyone like the naturalness of the sites? Can the sites be set up to be temperary social sites or areas that have guides or locals explaining the region to tourists.

These seem like reasonable suggestions. I know of at least one dive site on Grand Cayman (Eden Rock) that has wooden lockers on site with padlocks that you can rent to store stuff in while you're diving.

I was also recently at the Kennedy Space Center doing a tour and they have coin operated lockers to store loose items (cameras, glasses, purses, etc.) while you're on one of the rides there. I'm sure other amusement parks have similar. Airport/train/bus station lockers, something along those lines are probably readily available. I'm sure something like that could be installed unobtrusively at a site, with a guide/guard/whatever around to deter people breaking into them.

If people are truly concerned about this problem, they'll look for solutions like this instead of just yelling that there is a problem over and over again.

Paying children to watch your vehicle on Bonaire - hmmmm...

Reminds me of the old NYC windshield washer scam.

supercitizen-steve-jan23-07.jpg

I remember the guy who really raked it it. He used to wear a half a cinder block brick around his neck on a chain, you should have seen the look of horror at the Mercedes, Lexus or BMW drivers who looked up at the light to see this guy approaching their car with that cinder block swaying back and forth dangling around his neck just inches over their expensive paint jobs, as he prepared to lean over the car to clean their windshield.

His best customers were the ones who paid him not to wash their windows, would hand him a couple of bucks and smile and say, here, just keep it, don't worry about the windshield, as he would take the money and step back away from their car.

I don't think the guy even bothered to keep anything in his spray bottle after awhile.

Nice thoughts-- to teach the youngsters of Bonaire the protection racket at such a young age. You'll turn them all into little entrepreneurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom