On no island like Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So every Bonaire resident is a thief and it's impossible to find one honest person to work as some sort of security guard?

Once again, every person is dishonest and a thief?

Please provide these statistics and the source for them. Thanks.

I PM'd my nephew, he will be along to explain it.

Or you could just not read more into what was said and you wouldn't have confused yourself.

I wish you'd stop bashing Bonaire. I don't think it's right to put that kind of dis-information out there saying that every Bonaire resident is a thief. Don't think that is fair. But you are welcome to your opinion.

As for the crime being disproportionate. That's been gone over ad nauseum. But if you think all the reported incidents and all the long lists of safety and security precautions are normal for a community of less then 15,000 residents where everybody knows everybody, nothing can happen without somebody knowing who did it, and you're on a island surround by the sea which is basically a contained market place for the stolen goods...

... well like I said, you're welcome to your opinion. Many small towns in the USA of under 15,000 residents it's not uncommon for people to not lock their homes, let alone their vehicles, not worry about wall safes being broken into, having their homes broken into while they are asleep, being drugged if they wake up, etc... etc... etc...

Good luck keeping that hypothesis alive that Bonaire is known for being a very crime free island. So safe you can leave your wet suit outside at night, so safe you can leave valuables in your car at a dive site and nobody will bother them. Good luck with that, I think you're down to about 6 people on the planet who still believe it. :rofl3:

You guys are funnier and funnier about all this. You're so incensed about the truth that you're now pretending Bonaire is the safest place on earth.

ponies-and-rainbows.jpg

So if these stats are so super secret, how come several of you keep throwing them up as *proof* of how bad things are? If no one knows the true numbers, how do you know crime is any worse on Bonaire than anywhere else.

We know that by reading other forums and this one. Show me where Bonaire records, FOR THE PUBLIC TO READ, and reporets of hotel and condo break ins crimes?

I PM'd my nephew, he will be along to explain it.

Or you could just not read more into what was said and you wouldn't have confused yourself.

I wish you'd stop bashing Bonaire. I don't think it's right to put that kind of dis-information out there saying that every Bonaire resident is a thief. Don't think that is fair. But you are welcome to your opinion.
Dude. I'm not bashing Bonaire anywhere. Also I didn't put out any disinformation. I quoted something you said and asked for clarification on your statement. Conveniently, your original post has been edited so that it in no way reflects the quoted material any longer.

Or perhaps you're suggesting that I just made that entire quote up?

Why do you need to have your nephew explain anything? Are you not capable of defending your own statements? Or maybe it's just more convenient to change them so your don't have to?

As for the crime being disproportionate. That's been gone over ad nauseum. But if you think all the reported incidents and all the long lists of safety and security precautions are normal for a community of less then 15,000 residents where everybody knows everybody, nothing can happen without somebody knowing who did it, and you're on a island surround by the sea which is basically a contained market place for the stolen goods...

... well like I said, you're welcome to your opinion. Many small towns in the USA of under 15,000 residents it's not uncommon for people to not lock their homes, let alone their vehicles, not worry about wall safes being broken into, having their homes broken into while they are asleep, being drugged if they wake up, etc... etc... etc...

Good luck keeping that hypothesis alive that Bonaire is known for being a very crime free island. So safe you can leave your wet suit outside at night, so safe you can leave valuables in your car at a dive site and nobody will bother them. Good luck with that, I think you're down to about 6 people on the planet who still believe it. :rofl3:

You guys are funnier and funnier about all this. You're so incensed about the truth that you're now pretending Bonaire is the safest place on earth.

You obviously have not read my posts, or you're failing to comprehend them if you think any of your above statement applies to me.

We know that by reading other forums and this one. Show me where Bonaire records, FOR THE PUBLIC TO READ, and reporets of hotel and condo break ins crimes?

Uh, I'm not making any claims for one side or the other. That's why I'm asking you to provide hard data to support what you're claiming.

Since the "official Bonaire Crime Stats" are so super secret that no one has them, how about you just tell me exactly how many crimes you've seen reported on these other forums since the first of the year?

You're right, Bonaire tourism should at least own up to the fact that crime does occasionally occur there, possibly by disseminating warnings similar to the following one about Roatan from Travel Guide to Roatan, Honduras:

"Coxen Hole is not safe for foot traffic after dark. In spite of stepped up police presence, most of the police force is on foot. Violent crime and robberies have been increasing.
  • Theft is common on the island, especially with the drug problems that persist.
  • Remote homes have been the sites of home invasions, with armed intruders tying victims and robbing the homes.
  • Vehicles have been stopped at night occasionally in remote areas with road blocks for robberies.
  • Taxi drivers have been killed occasionally. "

MM: You're not really trying to compare the safety of Bonaire to that of Roatan are you?
Frankly, the two don't even belong in the same sentence. If you have any evidence that ANY of the below 3 circumstances which you cited above pertaining to Roatan occurred on Bonaire I'd like to see it:

# Remote homes have been the sites of home invasions, with armed intruders tying victims and robbing the homes.
# Vehicles have been stopped at night occasionally in remote areas with road blocks for robberies.
# Taxi drivers have been killed occasionally. "

Evidence please. Inquiring minds want to know. Statistically Bonaire is one of the safest islands you will ever have the pleasure of visiting in the entire Caribbean.

Of course I was comparing the safety of Bonaire to that of Roatan. The only reason that theft from diver's vehicles parked in remote locations doesn't occur on Roatan is because no one would be insane enough to drive and park somewhere remote in Roatan. Getting your valuable sunglasses or T-shirt stolen wouldn't be the issue, getting back alive would be.

I found this article humorous, from the crime-free island of Grand Cayman:

Calling for “zero tolerance” towards stealing, the Cayman Turtle Farm head said he will spend several thousand dollars in the next 80 days on a security system to prevent the theft of animals from the facility.
Joey Ebanks, Managing Director of Boatswain’s Beach/Cayman Turtle Farm, pegged thefts from the farm at “hundreds of animals over the last several years”.
He added:
“I was shocked when I initially found out; I made a couple of calls and learned that this is part of the ongoing cost of doing business. You get thefts from any farm: cattle, sheep, vegetables, fruit. It goes on everywhere. Some of the old timers here say it’s been going on for 40 years.”
Mr Ebanks detailed the planned security measures.
“The turtles are, in a sense, assets we have and so I have to protect them; I’m looking at electronic and manual security features. As we move forward, we will be having more nighttime activities, and that means a lot more people moving around during the evening,” he said.
Additionally, he said, the six-foot security fence surrounding the property would be replaced in phases by a short concrete wall anchoring a new fence, creating a beefed-up 10-foot barrier.
“We are looking at putting a sort of lid on the turtle tanks, kind of like a grid built of rebars, that we can lock and unlock to feed the animals and take them out, and we will do an inventory count more often,” he said.
“We will be putting in security cameras and lights. I have brought on two K-9 dogs to patrol around the tanks at night, and a couple of new guards with the dogs, in addition to the two guards we already have.”

Turtle Farm in anti-theft bid

Dude. I'm not bashing Bonaire anywhere. Also I didn't put out any disinformation. I quoted something you said and asked for clarification on your statement. Conveniently, your original post has been edited so that it in no way reflects the quoted material any longer.

Or perhaps you're suggesting that I just made that entire quote up?

Why do you need to have your nephew explain anything? Are you not capable of defending your own statements? Or maybe it's just more convenient to change them so your don't have to?

You obviously have not read my posts, or you're failing to comprehend them if you think any of your above statement applies to me.

Lighten up Francis.

Statistically Bonaire is one of the safest islands you will ever have the pleasure of visiting in the entire Caribbean.

:rofl3:

182732__pinocchio_l.jpg

You're right, Bonaire tourism should at least own up to the fact that crime does occasionally occur there, possibly by disseminating warnings similar to the following one about Roatan from Travel Guide to Roatan, Honduras:

"Coxen Hole is not safe for foot traffic after dark. In spite of stepped up police presence, most of the police force is on foot. Violent crime and robberies have been increasing.
  • Theft is common on the island, especially with the drug problems that persist.
  • Remote homes have been the sites of home invasions, with armed intruders tying victims and robbing the homes.
  • Vehicles have been stopped at night occasionally in remote areas with road blocks for robberies.
  • Taxi drivers have been killed occasionally. "

Now you're talk'n.

At least now we are all on the same page for once. No more pretending, now can this rereshing bit of truth telling infect the Bonaire property owners? Especially the one who is trying to snow job anybody stupid enough to believe that Bonaire is the safest place in the Caribbean?

So it's safe to say that Mr Vince leaves his doors unlocked, his wallet on the porch while he is out either brushing his unicorn or dancing with the elves and fairies or picking up gum drops and lolli-pops from his candy tree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom