On no island like Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been reading a lot here. I am going to Bonaire late June, and I have never been before. I am more the cup half full than half empty kind of guy so I am interested to see what happens. To the guy with the reference to seals in Canada, I am guessing we disagree on most things except that. I don't believe in the seal hunt. I see you like to judge a whole country on one thing. I am a big fan of the US, but there are a few things I disagree with that the US does, should I judge the whole country on those things? Just curious.

There goes the flutes and fairy dust again :rofl3: Vince, you have a totally unrealistic view of what is going on in Bonaire. :idk:How can you not be concerned about people's rented condos being broken into, as reported on this board, and all thier valuables stolen, sometimes as people slept in the other room, as reported on this board?:shocked2: Doesn't that scare you, or make you feel sorry for those poor tourists, that had thier vacation runied?:confused:

PF..It's obvious to me that there are many things that you are not aware of about Bonaire.

Everyone on this board knows of my involvement on Bonaire, it's stated on every posting I make. They really don't need you to state it like you know some secret fact. I don't try to hide it. What everyone does NOT know is WHY you carry this personal vendetta against the beautiful island of Bonaire. That is something, you have never come clean about no matter how many times numerous folks have asked.

Additionally, your statements about my views and me personally can very well be construed as being libelous. I would admonish you to be cautious on future postings. Freedom of speech and views is fine, however when the line of impinging my personal character is crossed, rest assured you are in dangerous territory.
I trust you will be guided accordingly.

I'm guessing it would not take the kids long to put the squease on the tourists for more money, to the point, they would want more money than the stuff they were supposed to be guarding cost:eyebrow:

Paying children to watch your vehicle on Bonaire - hmmmm...

Reminds me of the old NYC windshield washer scam.

supercitizen-steve-jan23-07.jpg

I remember the guy who really raked it it. He used to wear a half a cinder block brick around his neck on a chain, you should have seen the look of horror at the Mercedes, Lexus or BMW drivers who looked up at the light to see this guy approaching their car with that cinder block swaying back and forth dangling around his neck just inches over their expensive paint jobs, as he prepared to lean over the car to clean their windshield.

His best customers were the ones who paid him not to wash their windows, would hand him a couple of bucks and smile and say, here, just keep it, don't worry about the windshield, as he would take the money and step back away from their car.

I don't think the guy even bothered to keep anything in his spray bottle after awhile.

Nice thoughts-- to teach the youngsters of Bonaire the protection racket at such a young age. You'll turn them all into little entrepreneurs.

Paying children to watch your vehicle on Bonaire - hmmmm...

Reminds me of the old NYC windshield washer scam.

supercitizen-steve-jan23-07.jpg

I remember the guy who really raked it it. He used to wear a half a cinder block brick around his neck on a chain, you should have seen the look of horror at the Mercedes, Lexus or BMW drivers who looked up at the light to see this guy approaching their car with that cinder block swaying back and forth dangling around his neck just inches over their expensive paint jobs, as he prepared to lean over the car to clean their windshield.

His best customers were the ones who paid him not to wash their windows, would hand him a couple of bucks and smile and say, here, just keep it, don't worry about the windshield, as he would take the money and step back away from their car.

I don't think the guy even bothered to keep anything in his spray bottle after awhile.

Nice thoughts-- to teach the youngsters of Bonaire the protection racket at such a young age. You'll turn them all into little entrepreneurs.
Ya know.... You have people on this thread who admit there is crime on Bonaire. Some of those people attempt to put it into perspective with personal experiences and personal knowledge from their time on Bonaire.

Some people on this this thread who admit there is crime on Bonaire have offered suggestions to further lesson vacationers possibility of becoming a victim of crime

Some people on this thread have compared the US Gov. stances on comparative islands to give a better perspective of crime on Bonaire vs. other islands... and around the world.

Some people on this thread make posts so far out of perspective they don't even make sense.

I hope everyone who reads this post can place themselves into one of the above types.

I know that this and other Bonaire threads have "pushed away" the people who could be answering questions asked by potential visitors because they are "biased" by actually having the gall to live or own a business there.

I see now that there can be no real discussion because anyone who could be a part of any real discussion keeps being insulted and accused of "bias", or has to put up with posts that have absolutely nothing to do with anything that "is, has been or will be" discussed in a Bonaire thread... Comparing the hiring of a guide on Bonaire to someone homeless in the US and waving a cinder block around their neck... Unless it can be shown that this person was a guide on Bonaire... I certainly don't see that as over the top... :shakehead:

Last edited:
I see now that there can be no real discussion because anyone who could be a part of any real discussion keeps being insulted and accused of "bias", or has to put up with posts that have absolutely nothing to do with anything that "is, has been or will be" discussed in a Bonaire thread... Comparing the hiring of a guide on Bonaire to someone homeless in the US and waving a cinder block around their neck... Unless it can be shown that this person was a guide on Bonaire... I certainly don't see that as over the top... :shakehead:

Wow, I'm sorry.

I didn't mean to post something so over your head and create such confusion for you.

Let me break it down in simple terms - I can't get it any more simple than this --

The person at the dive site you are paying for protection...l. You're paying him to protect you from himself.

In the USA that principal is called extortion.

The cinder block guy... exact same thing. Exact same principle.

Get it?

Let me know if you still don't understand. I might be able to get my 7 year old nephew to explain it.

You are paying a Bonaire resident to protect your belongings from himself.
So every Bonaire resident is a thief and it's impossible to find one honest person to work as some sort of security guard?
Paying a kid, teenager or adult on Bonaire to protect you from crime at a dive site is paying him to not rob you.
Once again, every person is dishonest and a thief?
Bonaire has a crime problem disproportionate statistically. You can try over and over again to pretend it doesn't but that won't change that it does, nor will it change what gets replied when you try to white wash it.
Please provide these statistics and the source for them. Thanks.

So every Bonaire resident is a thief and it's impossible to find one honest person to work as some sort of security guard?

That is NOT what he said , or even suggested. He's referrring to the reports that YOU fellows have suggested, that divers hire school kids to protect dive gear, individuals you have also suggested might be the petty criminals. That leaves open how to protect from condo break ins. hire thugs?

Again, he, nor anyone else, said that.

Do you realize that Bonaire keeps very secret thier crime stats?

Last edited:
That is NOT what he said , or even suggested. He's referrring to the reports that YOU fellows have suggested, that divers hire school kids to protect dive gear, individuals you have also suggested might be the petty criminals. That leaves open how to protect from condo break ins. hire thugs?
Nope, that is what he said. Read my quotes again, specifically the red. It appears that the original post was edited, after I quoted it. I didn't make those words up. Also, I'm not "you fellows." I haven't suggested anything of the sort. What I have done is challenge some of these claims, which I have yet to see anyone refute with some sort of solid evidence. How about you go back through my posts and address the real questions I've asked?

You are paying a Bonaire resident to protect your belongings from himself.
Paying a kid, teenager or adult on Bonaire to protect you from crime at a dive site is paying him to not rob you.
Bonaire has a crime problem disproportionate statistically. You can try over and over again to pretend it doesn't but that won't change that it does, nor will it change what gets replied when you try to white wash it.

Do you realize that Bonaire keeps very secret thier crime stats?

So if these stats are so super secret, how come several of you keep throwing them up as *proof* of how bad things are? If no one knows the true numbers, how do you know crime is any worse on Bonaire than anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom