On no island like Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Cooltech and Cavediver, you sure have a lot of questions.

So you don't have to wait so long, how about starting with this --

Its an online magic eight ball, I think you can get all your answers in a couple of minutes.

>>>> Online Magic Eightball <<<<

magic8ball.jpg

Have fun!

That is some effective avoiding of the real issues. And CD is probably the most reasonable poster in here yet you still refuse to answer his questions. Speaks volumes. Stuck at 1(one) I suppose

We have questions because many statements about Bonaire are being made as "fact" without facts or experience to back those statements.

If less statements like that were being made, we would have very few, if any questions for clarification.

I'm sure there is just as much crime in Tempe as there is in Bonaire. (if not more).

Is this simply an opinion, or do you know of any stats to back this up?

Step one: Give the Answer, or part thereof which is factual.

Part I Crime for 2000-2009 in Tempe. Overall there was a 10.6% decrease in Part I Crimes from 2008 to 2009. Comparisons of specific Part I Crimes across 2008 and 2009 indicated there was a 66.7% decrease in homicide, an 88.2% increase in rape, a 5.3% decrease in robbery, an 11.2% increase in aggravated assault, a 4.3% decrease in burglary, an 11.8% decrease in larceny, a 26.8% decrease in motor vehicle theft, and a 25.9% increase in arson.

Step two: Cite the authoritative source.

Part I Crime Information

Now, if you "gentlemen" would give me your Bonaire statistics of which you keep claiming, I volunteer to do the analysis.

So far, I've seen only unfounded claims without merit.

:popcorn:

I could care less what the crime rate is in Tempe. (If I lived there, I'm sure that'd be a different concern. that reply was in regards to someone and their car location, which I could care less about also.)

I really doubt that Bonaire, being a tourist destination that depends on tourist dollars is going to publicly publish "crime statistics". We both know that.

I too would like to know what frequency it happens. But I doubt either of us will ever know.
Realistically, I'd settle for just an off the cuff count by those that claim it's crime ridden. I keep seeing the same 3 or 4 events repeated over and over again, which makes it seem that the crime problem might be exaggerated to be more than it is. Have there really been 16 crimes last month, or have 4 people told the same story 4 different times, making it seem like more is happening? (numbers picked at random to illustrate a point and not intended to be a hard fact)

as for Aruba, how many "crime in aruba" threads are there on here about theft in Aruba (or other islands)? (besides Natalie Holoway, which was so high profile it'd been on message boards regardless of where it happened. ) ?
Great question. My opinion, the reason why Bonaire seems to have such a high profile is because a certain subset of posters jump into every thread and every report and whip it into a frenzy. Gives me the impression of a lot of smoke, but little fire. If these same posters were in every Cozumel, Aruba, Cayman, Bahamas thread, would crime rates seem to skyrocket on those islands as well? I don't know, that's why I'm asking them to provide something to substantiate how bad it is, whether through actual statistics, or a compiled list of posts on all these other boards they keep citing.

As for the easy solution, it's to start policing the areas that the crime is happening and arresting the people involved. Bonaire is only 13,000 people roughly. It's the size of a small town, where everyone knows about everyone. It's not hard to figure out who the people are doing stuff in small towns. Especially when you can't drive easily to the next island.
Police those areas and criminals will likely just move on to another area that's not as policed. I agree that this is a start, but I don't think it's an entire solution. You also have to take into account how large a police force they have for 13k people and what kind of manpower is actually available.

The problem won't go away overnight. Just like getting rid of one drug dealer won't make the drug dealing problem go away. Someone else will take over his business area/etc quick enough.

back to this island comparison, let me ask you about Grand Cayman. Population roughly 50,000 or so, but not too much bigger than Bonaire. Grand Cayman is a very popular tourist destination. But I never hear the crime stories about it that I do Bonaire. why is that?

what are they doing there to "make a difference" and keep crime on tourists low?

Perhaps Bonaire could learn something from another island.
Because there aren't people vocally posting it all over this board. I can tell you for a fact that crime has increased on Cayman. There have been news reports of shootings, robberies and drug deals numerous times this year. Crime happens there, it happens quite a bit there. Tourists have been robbed at gunpoint on 7 mile beach, not merely had cars broken into while diving. (and yes, if you'd like to know about some of these stories I'll be glad to research and post links).

My point is that Bonaire is not some exceptional haven for crime that people seem to make it out to be. It happens everywhere and I'm just trying to understand why there seems to be a need for people to spotlight it here so frequently.
Note: I'd like to point out that I answered the specific questions asked of me, unlike some certain folks in this thread. :popcorn:
:thumbs-up:

Yes, and if I answered them he'd dismiss everything I said, disbelive it, then ask a slew of additional questions that were as annoying and inane as the first set of questions. It would never end.:eyebrow:

All he does is ask questions, will not accept answers, and continues to ask more. It's a debating style that is considered ineffective and obvious, even for High School.:shakehead:

I can't speak for anybody else but myself. But fair and honest is what I'm all about.

Again, I don't know about YOU GUYS, but I definitly don't spew non-facts. I can promise that the discussion won't end. Forums are tangental places. All it takes is one person to make 5 statements, then one person respons to the 1 statement out of the 5 that is the weakest and suddenly 6 pages later nobody even knows what the original topic even was.

That's what happens and it's not going to stop.

Now you know where I'm coming from. :eyebrow:

The majority of the problems would be solved if some of sent away for the sense of humor is a box and liberally applied it to yourself.

Look at Cool Tech directly above this reply.

He's still going on trying to get Pilot Fish to give him some master's thesis or answer a 50 page questionaire so he can create a request for proposal in tripplicate to submit to his direct supervisor. :shakehead:

And.... he still isn't 100% positive that the picture of all the ponies is real or not.

In order for any crime to stop on Boniare, two things must happen, police do something about it and the people that like Boniare, live on Bonaire , and some in this thread, take steps to bring about change. Sweeping it under the reef solves nothing.

I could care less what the crime rate is in Tempe. (If I lived there, I'm sure that'd be a different concern. that reply was in regards to someone and their car location, which I could care less about also.)
I really doubt that Bonaire, being a tourist destination that depends on tourist dollars is going to publicly publish "crime statistics". We both know that.
I too would like to know what frequency it happens. But I doubt either of us will ever know.
as for Aruba, how many "crime in aruba" threads are there on here about theft in Aruba (or other islands)? (besides Natalie Holoway, which was so high profile it'd been on message boards regardless of where it happened. ) ?
As for the easy solution, it's to start policing the areas that the crime is happening and arresting the people involved. Bonaire is only 13,000 people roughly. It's the size of a small town, where everyone knows about everyone. It's not hard to figure out who the people are doing stuff in small towns. Especially when you can't drive easily to the next island.
The problem won't go away overnight. Just like getting rid of one drug dealer won't make the drug dealing problem go away. Someone else will take over his business area/etc quick enough.

back to this island comparison, let me ask you about Grand Cayman. Population roughly 50,000 or so, but not too much bigger than Bonaire. Grand Cayman is a very popular tourist destination. But I never hear the crime stories about it that I do Bonaire. why is that?

what are they doing there to "make a difference" and keep crime on tourists low?

Perhaps Bonaire could learn something from another island.

Note: I'd like to point out that I answered the specific questions asked of me, unlike some certain folks in this thread. :popcorn:

I will say that I best most crime on these islands goes unreported. (just as it does in the US.)

For example, the person's shorts that were stolen, I doubt it was reported to the police. Docc had his iPhone stolen in Cozumel, but I doubt he reported it either. (because he knew he wouldn't see it back and no sense wasting an entire day in a police station).

Last time my car was broken into I didn't report it. why? I didn't want to wait at the store for an hour or more for a police officer to show up when all they got was a flashlight.

Back to statistics.... A quick search found lots of Bonaire crime threads, but no statistics that any form of government puts out for Bonaire. But like I said, it's a tourist island. They are going to tell you "no problem, come on down. Everything is great here".

regardless, we're not going to solve it in this thread.

btw.... I found the crime Statistics for Bonaire, Georgia if anyone wants them. :popcorn:

Yes, and if I answered them he'd dismiss everything I said, disbelive it, then ask a slew of additional questions that were as annoying and inane as the first set of questions. It would never end.:eyebrow:

If you're not going to answer the questions, then folks will dismiss what you say regardless because you refuse to answer them......... (just somethng to thing about ..... :popcorn:)

Wow Cooltech and Cavediver, you sure have a lot of questions.
Yes I do and I've seen very few reasonable answers. As the person who ends up moderating most of these threads after they degenerate into complete p***ing contests, I thought I'd participate this time and see for myself why it's so hard for a group of adults to have a productive discussion on it.

So you don't have to wait so long, how about starting with this --

Its an online magic eight ball, I think you can get all your answers in a couple of minutes.
Now I know why. People prefer to ridicule suggestions and avoid questions through clever diversionary tactics rather than to engage their brains in a manner that might be beneficial to everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom