OMS why all the flames?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I don't want this to get personal.

Here's my thinking... carrying extra gas is a crutch. You or I might be OK with it, but I've seen too many roto-tillers chewing up a lake bottom to know that some people would eventually just treat a pony not as a redundant air supply, but as an additional air supply.

If you dive singles, I would advocate an H valve, which is a heck of a lot lighter, more streamlined and considerably cheaper than an entire pony bottle setup.

My further 'redundancy' is in my buddy's mouth. No matter what the circumstances, it would be an awfully unique situation for me to consider solo diving. That one I'm pretty adamant about - a pony bottle won't cut you out of a fishing line, calm you down if you freak out about a snake or any one of a myriad of things that a good buddy does. (I hate snakes, can you tell? :) ) Those who consider a pony bottle as a 'buddy in a bottle' are fooling themselves.

But again, that's just me.

And by the same logic, having a spare tire in your car is a substitute for improper tire management and should be avoided. ..... What a crock... a pony to cover an unanticipated loss of gas has Nothing to do with improper management of that gas

You wouldn't go on a desert trip without at least a full tank of gas, a spare tire, maybe an extra canister in the back of the trunk and lots of water. Sounds logical.

I'm new to scuba. I happened upon this DIR stuff, and read it with interest. Sounds logical. It seemed to preach diving safe and diving redundant. I listened with open ears. I wanted to learn how to do it right (or dive it right :D ). Now, after only 3 months into my scuba career DIR just sounds like a cult/religion gone bad. DIR's logic seems screwed up. It also seems to preach one way -> Halycon, Halycon, all hail Halycon (and maybe this Ocycheck company that also pops up once in a while). Everything else IS BAD, BAD I SAY! I popped onto a DIR site, and they had links to everything Halycon. I guess most religions eventually get corrupt (witness the Catholic religion selling hail mary's during the dark ages). I think this DIR cult would have more credibility to myself if they were a little more open-minded. DIR should lay the foundation for diving safe using redundant equipment (ie. anyone's equipment, OMS included) and procedures (much like those taught at PADI, NAUI, et al.).

Here's where I think DIR went wrong (besides the fact they found their savior in Halycon :D ). Redundancy would mean to me just that. Dual tanks, multiple shutoffs, dual first stages, dual regs (each on their own firsts), redundant LP hose just in case, dual bladders (just in case), and an alternate air source besides your buddies (ie. pony bottle). I believe everything up there is accepted by DIR's except the Pony and dual bladders (right? I'm sorry I may not be totally up on this thing). When I proposed dual bladders as a safe way to go I was summarily put into my place. Again, doesn't seem logical to me to require redundancy and yet pooh pooh redundant bladders :confused: Another thing about this DIR thing is the long primary hose wrapped around your neck. What! Seems to be a hazard to me. Entanglement gentleman (and ladies)! I guess the reasoning is you can hand your regulator to someone trapped in a remote location? Well, eventually someone's going to have to rise to the top sometime. Maybe it'll afford the person trapped some time to try to get unwrapped with the assistance of your buddy, right? Maybe someone could explain this to me. If you are out in the open, and you need air it wouldn't matter to me that the hose was just long enough to get to me from my buddies primary. Maybe I have to stare at his ugly face, but by grabbing him securely and ascending to safety works with both a long hose, and short hose.

Boogie711 your logic escapes me. Sure carrying a pony could create a issue with it dragging along the bottom, but it still doesn't take away from it's purpose: to provide air in the case your primary source fails (first stage locks, air runs out, etc...). Also, having two tanks strapped to your back could also be considered "a crutch". You may get comfortable staying down too long, and risk decompression issues if you do not have enough air to complete your deco stop. A pony bottle would be there just in case. There's also no guarantee that your buddy will be there for you. You request air, and he only has so much to give. You could risk deco problems. Maybe he slipped around the corner of the wreck. You're out of air and you do not know where he/she is. What are you going to do? Also, a H-valve/doubles is fine for redundancy, or in the case of equipment failure. It does you no good during an out of air situation. It's best to account for anything while scuba diving, right? It's a dangerous sport. You also proclaim a dry suit is your redundant bladder. Well I'm diving wet. Also, my instructor (who has 3,000 dives under his belt - deep 200 to 300 and caves) stated to never use your BC as an inflation device. Air is there to add a thermal layer between you and the outside, as well as eliminate the pressure squeeze from the water. I would rather use my BC deflator as I ascend rather than fiddle with both a dry suit dump, and deflator at the same time! Besides, you can use a pony bottle to attack sea snakes. It makes a good weapon. Cutting a fishing line is best left up to a knife or shears. I believe Scuba_Vixen never suggested diving solo with a pony. She stated that diving with a pony and a buddy is the most redundant way you could dive (along with dual bladders). Carrying a pony does not preclude you from diving with a body (unless of course he's a DIRer, and refuses to dive with you because you're carrying a pony.).

I guess I have to separate the chaff from the BS. The goal here is to choose equipment that is reliable and safe. Dive using safe practices and procedures. Choose the equipment regardless of manufacturer that best suit your needs. And take plenty of classes from PADI, NAUI et al.

oharag

Separate the chaff from the BS.. I moved your entire post into the BS column. Next time preface it with "Please move to BS column" so I can save some time. Thanks..

Think being in a cave, with a 50 foot long narrow, tight passage that you have to swim single file.

Getting into deco unprepared and believing a pony bottle is going to provide resonable bailout is... beyond nieve - its a death sentence.

oharag once bubbled...

Another thing about this DIR thing is the long primary hose wrapped around your neck. What! Seems to be a hazard to me. Entanglement gentleman (and ladies)!

... snip

You may get comfortable staying down too long, and risk decompression issues if you do not have enough air to complete your deco stop. A pony bottle would be there just in case. oharag

oharag once bubbled...

Another thing about this DIR thing is the long primary hose wrapped around your neck. What! Seems to be a hazard to me. Entanglement gentleman (and ladies)! I guess the reasoning is you can hand your regulator to someone trapped in a remote location? Well, eventually someone's going to have to rise to the top sometime. Maybe it'll afford the person trapped some time to try to get unwrapped with the assistance of your buddy, right? Maybe someone could explain this to me. If you are out in the open, and you need air it wouldn't matter to me that the hose was just long enough to get to me from my buddies primary. Maybe I have to stare at his ugly face, but by grabbing him securely and ascending to safety works with both a long hose, and short hose.

The long hose is so two divers can share gas and still have room to be able to swim effectively. We aren't always going up but often back. In an overhead environment it also allows diver to share gas and swim single file in order to get through small spots. Since the hose lays right against the body when stowed it's far less an entanglement hazard that the normal recreational configuration with a big loop of hose hanging off to the side.

with as much experience deep diving and cave diving as you say your instructor has, I'm surprised he didn't explain some of this.

oharag once bubbled...

Another thing about this DIR thing is the long primary hose wrapped around your neck. What! Seems to be a hazard to me. Entanglement gentleman (and ladies)! .

You should really do some more research before you form such an intractible opinion about DIR. The quote above shows you need to. I recently got a close look at a long hose setup on a diver, and was impressed by just the opposite of what you're stating here. His hose was right up against him except for an inch or two just to the right of his chin.

My standard hose configuration does the standard loop around the right side of my head and is sticking out off of me for its entire length. Explain how this is less of an entanglement hazard so I can believe you are really being open minded.

I can look at myself objectively and admit that someone else's gear is set up better than mine.

Hopefully, I'll be a better diver for it...

Scott

PS- On topic. No major purchases from OMS, but I own/have owned some OMS accessories like knives, shears etc... I have found them to be long lasting and of good quality.

oharag, go back to square one. If you want to know what DIR is about, take a class. Your opinions are based on preconceived notions and ignorance.

And what makes you think your instructor is right?

How is it that you can convolute things so much.....I stated that a pony is for one purpose: To cover the unanticipated loss of your single tank's gas (blown disc, lp hose, Oring, etc.)...and now you turn it into:

"Getting into deco unprepared and believing a pony bottle is going to provide resonable bailout is... beyond nieve - its a death sentence."

You could just as easily say:

Getting into deco unprepared and believing doubles are going to provide resonable bailout is... beyond nieve - its a death sentence.

It's eqally true, and equally irrelevant.....gas management and dedicated emergency bailout are Seperate Things...

You're blaming and condemning a piece of usefull gear for a diver's Lack Of Training, Knowledge, and proper mental attitude !!!......

You wouldn't blame the BC if some clown buys a 70# wing to use like a lift bag to get stuff up off the bottom....

I didn't mean anything personal towards anyone, it's just a lot more convincing when you make your case with logical arguement than irrelevant emotional appeal.

Darlene

I have thought about high capacity wings, and the only real need I can come up with for them is by instructors or underwater salvage teams who carry large tool bags.

Other than that, I cannot see why anyone would ever need a wing with more than about 50 lbs of lift. Yet there are 100 lb wings on the market.

Back
Top Bottom