OMS why all the flames?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been very happy with my OMS gear. I own an OMS ss backplate with delux harness. I have to get out of my kit in the water diving on small boats and the quick release makes this much easier. My large bungeed wings perform great too. They do not trap air, reduce air shifting and are quite streamlined. I never have bought into the DIR nonsense about bungeed wings. I can orally inflate mine very easily, and the jazz about creating drag is not true either, in my experience.
The line about quick releases being a failure point may be true, but how often have you seen a quick release on any BC fail? I own a bunch of BC's, most used by newby students, and they all have thier original quick releases intact after years of use.
I did buy and use an OMS mask for a while, but strap broke and design is such that its not easily replaced. All in all, I believe OMS is a very good company making high quality equipment.

LUBOLD8431:
DOnt be so close minded... In fresh water, diving with heavy steel double cylinders, two deco bottles, a heavy canister light, I ABSOLUTELY NEED more than 50# of lift. I am perfectly comfortable with a 70# wing...

I have to agree with you. I also need extra lift wearing the same gear in fresh water. My son is even worse. He is 120lbs of muscle. If you drop him into fresh water with his lungs full of air in a bathing suit he will sink to, and stay right on the bottom. He basically has no fat. So I guess there are different lift bladders for different gear situations and also because we are not all built the same. The double bladder is a backup for an emergency if diving wet, or as a backup diving dry in specific circumstances. Try rising up from 250 ft in fresh water with steel tanks without enough lift due to a single bladder failure. Everything has a use in the correct circustances for the right reasons.

Dive safe
Kvdivr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom