OMS Ballast 12LB Weight System - Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are the dimensions of these pockets? Looking for ditchable ones, but want them to be as compact as possible. I own a Dive Rite Travelpac, so there's also not much space available for pocket installation in the waist strap (~ 4 inches).

I measured mine ...
Just under 6" wide and 8" tall overall.
(2) 1-7/16" wide webbing attachment straps with 2" space in between. 4-7/8" outside edge to outside edge.

It would be tight, but it'd probably be worth trying. So ~5 inches between the outside edges of the attachment strap?

It would be tight, but it'd probably be worth trying. So ~5 inches between the outside edges of the attachment strap?
Correct.
Mine are on an OMS IQ Lite pack and straddle the straps that hold the hip pads to the 2" belt, holding the pouches from sliding.

Looking at picks of the DR pack you could straddle the equivalent loops on the DR hip pads if you want them more forward, or put them behind, possibly steaddling the shoulder strap to waist belt 'T' hardware.

Correct.
Mine are on an OMS IQ Lite pack and straddle the straps that hold the hip pads to the 2" belt, holding the pouches from sliding.

Looking at picks of the DR pack you could straddle the equivalent loops on the DR hip pads if you want them more forward, or put them behind, possibly steaddling the shoulder strap to waist belt 'T' hardware.

So in this second case the shoulder strap hardware would attach behind the weight pocket, correct?

I would not be surprised if there are different versions of DR TravelPac, but with the current version:

dr-t4000_2.jpg

Referencing this side, it LOOKS like you could go

WING, Weight pouch rear loop, Shoulder T, Weight pouch front loop, Hip Belt loop
- or -
WING, Shoulder T, Weight pouch rear loop, Hip Belt loop, Weight pouch front loop - although this would put the weight pretty far forward and push the belt-mounted D forward too.

Maybe, you would have to measure ...
WING, Shoulder T, Weight pouch rear loop,Weight pouch front loop, Hip Belt loop

FWIW: Zeagle also makes add-on pockets that do not have clip-in weight carriers, but instead are loaded/unloaded via a top-zipper, but have solidly, velcro-secured bottom pull-dump handles.
There are 2, slightly different versions, both should have a single 2" wide loop to secure it to the belt and then either assembly screws for a compatible backplate or a velcro tab thing which could get somehow attached to something. Neither of the secondary stabilizers (assembly screws or tab) would likely work without some modification of either tab or DR backpad. That said, it is probably unnecessary if you trap them from sliding, either behind or ahead of the shoulder-strap Ts. I previously used them on my OMS IQ Pack with them just secured and located using the belt hardware, now they are on my son's LiteHawk since I went to OMS's similarly dumping combo utility/weight pockets. I prefer the carrierless pocket style personally, since there is less bulk, less empty-weight, and nothing to lose accidentally or in a deliberate weight dump (except the weights themselves) no trip-over or revert to weight belt issues because of a missing carrier ...
They are slightly narrower and taller than the OMS pouches about 5.5"W x 9"T

Zip-Touch: Zip Touch Weight System
519-ws120%20zip%20touch%20weight%20system%2003.ashx.jpg

Rear-Weight: Rear Weight System 20lb
8051z%20rear%20mount%20trim%20weight%20pockets%2003.ashx.jpg

Back
Top Bottom