OMS Ballast 12LB Weight System - Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joti

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone had any experience with this 12LB weight system? Looking for a ditchable weight system on a BP/W single setup.

OMS Ballast System {12 lb | 5.4 kg}

It looks to be very similar to the Halcyon ABS pockets, but much cheaper and larger capacity. I don’t need the extra capacity, but the price is right.

Has anyone seen these in the flesh?

I’m wondering if they have anything in place to stop them sliding forward, as the Halcyon pockets do.

Any other thoughts?

For background I dive a BP/W, and have been using a weight belt for the last 10 years, but it hurts my lower back so I want to get the weight (10-16lb wet/dry) off. I also have never been entirely comfortable not having easily ditchable weight, though mostly that’s been how I’ve dived with the belt under the crotch strap.

1. I would add weight on each side of the tank strap.
2. Use a SS plate instead of Al if not already done so.

I have a set installed on a OMS IQ lite. They are secured from sliding with a D ring. More than ample capacity for warm water diving.

I like that the Halcyon and OMS pockets don’t take up much space. The Deep 6 look quite long.

I put 2 XS Scuba pockets on the waist belt today and worked quite well. Not quite as ditchable as the others in this thread but very streamlined and still removable.

I haven't put the weight pockets in with the BCD on but I don't see it being difficult

I have a set installed on a OMS IQ lite. They are secured from sliding with a D ring. More than ample capacity for warm water diving.

Looking at these again...
Are you saying you have a regular D Ring installed on the webbing up against the pocket? You end up with 2 d rings in close proximity I assume, seeing as the pockets have their own d ring.

20180505_102240.jpg
20180505_102240.jpg 20180505_102309.jpg Both pockets have two belt loops. The belt has one loop for the pockets. So each pocket has the belt pass through the three loops. The pockets are quite firmly held. Only the right hand pocket has the o-ring (apologies) but with or without it I do not thing the pockets would move. I like the set up as the weights are nicely tucked away. I hope the attached photos give a better idea of the set up.

Attachments

• 20180505_102252.jpg
    20180505_102252.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 20180505_102459.jpg
    20180505_102459.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 177
View attachment 458441 View attachment 458441 View attachment 458442 Both pockets have two belt loops. The belt has one loop for the pockets. So each pocket has the belt pass through the three loops. The pockets are quite firmly held. Only the right hand pocket has the o-ring (apologies) but with or without it I do not thing the pockets would move. I like the set up as the weights are nicely tucked away. I hope the attached photos give a better idea of the set up.
Thanks very much! I think I’ll give them a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom