Oms 21w Hid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711:
I think OMS makes crappy stuff, and the stuff they do promise to make, never shows up. See: Galvanized Tanks. Or the Single Tank wing which was on their website for 10 full months before it began shipping.

Plus, Their rep for just talking crap is notorious... remember the staffers who "left Halcyon and were going to make DIR stuff for OMS."

And I'd be happy to give you the names of people who will attest to their crappy customer service.

(In terms of the "stupid crappy stuff" file, see: slobwinders or 100 lb wings... I'd be happy to continue, if you wish.)

Oh, and by the way - I have never bought a single thing from Halcyon. I do have a Halcyon lighthead on my stealth Cannister light, but I bought that used. That's the only Halcyon piece I own.

So what do you dive with and like Boogie?

FYI - I actually admire the strength of your convictions and read your posts often as I think it's great that you take the time to share your knowledge and experiance with others (BTW - Exactly how long have you been diving?)

Currently I use a 100 lb OMS BWOD that you dislike and have had zero problems with it. Nor have the 20 other guys I dive with all the time that have them and I actually haven't seen that many dead bodies wearing OMS gear in my travels.

This year I thought I would try one of their non bungeed 60 lb wings for a change of pace and to see if it was any better and since I like to keep up on trends, I just ordered an Oxycheq single wing to personally check out. (Heck I even own a terkel light as well as an OMS and have had a Sartek and a DiveRite)

As to crappy customer service we have been quite happy with most of what OMS does and we have had very few problems in the last few years (and I hate problems)

My attitude as a store owner is to sell products that don't cause me problems - which means the customers must be happy - Mine are largely happy with OMS that's why it's still in my store and certain other products are not.

Keep on blasting away - I like to hear it and I hope you don't mind if I challenge you on it now and again or praise you if I agree.....that's what's great about the board.

My personal experiences with OMS? I won't touch them. You (or anyone else) can launch into all the missives you want about "big talk from someone who's never dove their stuff." :) Because you'd be absolutely right - I refuse to.

It's funny - I think OMS is traditionally associated more with the Northeast wreck crowd, and Halcyon with the Florida cave crowd. Being as my last name is "Chatterton" one would assume I'd be more OMS friendly.

I don't care if you like OMS, that's great. Good for ya. It's not like I'd refuse to dive with you because you have OMS stuff... it's not an obsession for me or anything. I just refuse to wear or buy any of their stuff.

I just look at the whole picture and have decided that this is not a company I'm willing to support. And I'm not the only one.

For example, I look at their use of 'suicide snaps' on, of all things - reels and spools! These are, the last time I checked, line bearing objects. Yet, they have the audacity to say that Halcyon's spring straps could be an entanglement hazard??? That's just laughable. Yet, see for yourself - http://www.omsdive.com/news2.html.

OMS used to use a captured O-ring design for their manifolds. They publicly crapped all over barrel o-rings... but oh my - look here - http://www.omsdive.com/innovation.html. A barrel o-ring manifold. What's more - there's 3 evil barrel o-rings! AUGH! Shield your eyes!

I know Halcyon doesn't like bungee wings, but at least they don't attack OMS directly. Whereas in that link where they slag Halcyon spring straps, when they're comparing puncture resistance, you can clearly see that it's a Halcyon wing they're puncturing.

I don't obsess over OMS. I just don't like them, and won't dive their gear. I think they're inconsistent in their dive philosophies, and I do believe that some of their stuff is outright dangerous.

I'll be the first to say that a lot of this stuff gets blown way out of proportion, though. Who wants to go diving this weekend?

Boogie711:
My personal experiences with OMS? I won't touch them. You (or anyone else) can launch into all the missives you want about "big talk from someone who's never dove their stuff." :) Because you'd be absolutely right - I refuse to.

And I respect that and will resist using the "big talk line as it isn't fair" however I do like to base my opinions on different criteria.

You didn't however satisfy my curiousity and answer how long you have been diving or the gear you use?

It has to be quite some time as you are very passionate which is great. :bounce:

And regarding the manifolds - I can't blame them for giving people what they ask for even if it isn't as good.

Boogie711:
For example, I look at their use of 'suicide snaps' on, of all things - reels and spools! These are, the last time I checked, line bearing objects. Yet, they have the audacity to say that Halcyon's spring straps could be an entanglement hazard??? That's just laughable. Yet, see for yourself - http://www.omsdive.com/news2.html.
Safety Recommendation: In light of the above information OMS feels that it is essential for all divers who own Spring Heel Straps to regularly inspect the outer protective fabric sleeve to verify complete coverage of the spring, both during pre-dive check and the dive to guard against entanglement hazards.

What part of this statement says you shouldn't use them or that you should not buy Halcyon spring straps? After giving an example of what can happen, they offer an inspection that one should do prior to a dive. I see nothing wrong with this.

Boogie711:
OMS used to use a captured O-ring design for their manifolds. They publicly crapped all over barrel o-rings... but oh my - look here - http://www.omsdive.com/innovation.html. A barrel o-ring manifold. What's more - there's 3 evil barrel o-rings! AUGH! Shield your eyes!
So they've improved on their manifold. If they stopped selling bungeed wings, would you still hate them because they used to sell them?

Boogie711:
I know Halcyon doesn't like bungee wings, but at least they don't attack OMS directly. Whereas in that link where they slag Halcyon spring straps, when they're comparing puncture resistance, you can clearly see that it's a Halcyon wing they're puncturing.
OMS sells bungee'd and non-bungee'd wings. Never heard of a reef diver getting tangled in electrical wire or cave line. If you do overhead, buy the non-bungeed. BTW, they even come off.

As for the puncture test: 1000 Denier is ballistic nylon (OMS), 1680 Denier is imported look-a-like and is not ballistic (Halcyon)
There is a huge difference here in quality. BTW, 1000 is expensive and 1680 is cheap, so why is the Halcyon more expensive?

Boogie711:
I don't obsess over OMS. I just don't like them, and won't dive their gear. I think they're inconsistent in their dive philosophies, and I do believe that some of their stuff is outright dangerous.
Sounds like you kinda do obsess over them.

Boogie711:
I'll be the first to say that a lot of this stuff gets blown way out of proportion, though. Who wants to go diving this weekend?
Yep. I'm game, but you'll have to come down here to SE FL and dive the warm waters with a Florida OMS diver.

LOL. Brian - What do I know? Not much. Absolutely not much. I'm just some Yuppie up here in Canada, trying to build my business, buy a home and start a family. I've got a lot to learn in diving, I'll be the first to admit that. I look forward to learning it. And I'll keep an open mind about it - which is more than I can say about some others on here. But with my open mind, I've decided OMS isn't one of those companies I'll support.

I have nothing against Halcyon, I may get their wing for a set of E8-130's I want to double up. I have an Oxycheq wing I love. IDI Turtles and Power Fins. DUI drysuit with smurf gloves. Bunch of other stuff. NO OMS gear of any sort. :p

I'm sure that OMS stuff is of good build quality. I saw a really nice backplate the other day and it was an OMS. I wanted to buy it and replace my existing SS plate, but my conscience just wouldn't let me do it.

And Mem - I can't dive with you. You're PADI certified. PADI is icky.

KIDDING! JUST KIDDING PEOPLE! :D

the new 60lbs OMS is great and half the price of halcyon and the plate is well made as well

Holy crap i just realise i own to much oms stuff im a walking commercial

mask, wing, light, gators, backplate

Boogie711:

Ha. Actually, I need to update my profile. I'm TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression and signed up for IANTD Trimix. Don't let the PADI cert fool you. I don't do reef dives except to offgas or play with sharks! :))

Boogie711:
LOL. Brian - What do I know? Not much. Absolutely not much. I'm just some Yuppie up here in Canada, trying to build my business, buy a home and start a family. I've got a lot to learn in diving, I'll be the first to admit that. I look forward to learning it. And I'll keep an open mind about it - which is more than I can say about some others on here. But with my open mind, I've decided OMS isn't one of those companies I'll support.

I have nothing against Halcyon, I may get their wing for a set of E8-130's I want to double up. I have an Oxycheq wing I love. IDI Turtles and Power Fins. DUI drysuit with smurf gloves. Bunch of other stuff. NO OMS gear of any sort. :p

I'm sure that OMS stuff is of good build quality. I saw a really nice backplate the other day and it was an OMS. I wanted to buy it and replace my existing SS plate, but my conscience just wouldn't let me do it.

Sorry if I was prying Boogie your dive history is obviously your own business not ours.

On occasion people will post things that get my back up and I respond. I am SURE that I have done the same with you and others and that's the nature of the game around here.

Oh and I agree PADI is icky as it's a nameless faceless corporation, but I am actually thinking of doing an instructor cross over because they have their business model together and I actually keep meeting really good PADI divers and instructors who aren't faceless and even know what they are doing.

I also have met instructors who don't have clue, but I didn't Poll them for agency affiliation....I just ran screaming in the other direction.

DS1:
the new 60lbs OMS is great and half the price of halcyon and the plate is well made as well

Holy crap i just realise i own to much oms stuff im a walking commercial

mask, wing, light, gators, backplate

All you need now is the rubber lighthead cover you are owed by some jerk who can't give you a firm date on when it's coming in and you will be set. :54:

Dive Source:
All you need now is the rubber lighthead cover you are owed by some jerk who can't give you a firm date on when it's coming in and you will be set. :54:

I dont mean bad customer service by you in any way and the bad service i got from OMS has nothing to do with that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom