OMG!!!!!! Guess who my dive buddy was for 2 dives today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wild tread, I remember the Poco story from earlierly in the year and the funny thing was the diver did the same thing, got in the water with the whale and then later wished he had not and had to hide the location. I would be hard pressed not to do the same (even knowing the story), the temptation would be to great.

Glad to see Poco is doing fine and heading north. Fair winds and a following sea.

What an absolutely awesome story. I am in the process of becoming certified to dive and have two dives scheduled for southern Maine/New Hampshire this weekend. If I could see something like that someday, I will die a happy woman. But, I would probably be so excited that I would swallow my regulator...

I'm so glad that you aren't telling people where he is--good for you. But, I sure wish he could find me!

Could it be POCO the Beluga that has been wandering the N.E. east coast? He was back in Cape Elizabeth Maine a few weeks ago. We met up with him while snorkeling in June. He has been spotted between Boston and Bar Harbor Maine over the last 9 months.

Do a Google search for Poco Beluga and you can find some photos of him and learn about his travels.

Pete

jchaplain:
No dorsal fin... a baby whale?
Maybe a Beluga whale.

John C.

Please read the enclosed as reported from Cathy. A tragic ending for such a beautiful animal.

Hello to all of you who have met Poco the beluga whale at some time during the last several months to a year.

It is with great sadness that I am writing to tell you that Poco was found dead this morning, stranded on a mudflat in South Portland, Maine. You may read about this tragedy in the paper or on-line in the next day or so. However, since you were so kind as to contact the Whale Stewardship Project about Poco, I wanted to personally let you know of this sorry news. There was no evidence of new injuries and his old ones were completely healed so, at present we do not know how or why Poco died. Hopefully the necropsy that will be performed on his body will reveal some answers. When more information becomes available I will post the information on our website.

Poco, like each individual beluga whale I have had the privilege of meeting and studying, was very special in his own unique way. I don't mind sharing with you that I am not content with allowing Poco's life and death to become merely a footnote in a few journals and newspapers. With commitment and help there is so much more his legacy can do. I have asked officials of both the Canadian and US governments to work cooperatively to return Poco's bones to Canada. The intention would be to create an exhibit that honours his journey into the lives of humans, shows regard for him as an individual and by extention shines light on other solitary belugas (and other whales and dolphins) present and future as well as the endangered population he came from.

Many, many thanks to everyone for all your thoughts, information and concern for Poco.
For a better outcome for future "Pocos", with warm regards,
Cathy Kinsman

Cathy Kinsman
Project Director
Whale Stewardship Project
P.O. Box 36101
Halifax, NS B3J 3S9
Ph. 902.889.2679
Toll free Can & US 1-877-560-8917
www.whalestewardship.org

Oh, that is so sad.

Well, ruined my night. :( can't believe I can cry over a whale I haven't met...but I can. Here's to truly hoping there's a watery heaven somewhere that he can swim forever!

AmyJ:
Well, ruined my night. :( can't believe I can cry over a whale I haven't met...but I can. Here's to truly hoping there's a watery heaven somewhere that he can swim forever!

Well you're not the only one. 3 in our household were found by Poco this June one town over from where he ended his life. We have snorkeled those waters many times and plan to be diving them next summer, he touched us all.

Pete

What a beautiful picture! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom