OMG!!!!!! Guess who my dive buddy was for 2 dives today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that Poco has become well known. Becoming a celebrity is likely to be his death warrant. I have recieved emails recently asking for better coordinates so that folks could try and dive with him. I have replied with nasty-grams.

I have purposely not posted any updates about him even though I have known his approximate location ever since my sighting nor have I tried to dive with him again. He needs to be left alone but we humans just can't do that. Hopefully he will get sick of us and go out to sea before he gets mangled by another prop.

decapoddiver:
I have recieved emails recently asking for better coordinates so that folks could try and dive with him. I have replied with nasty-grams.
Remind these yahoos that seeking out wild cetaceans to dive with is a violation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act, and is a felony offense. Give them the coordinates of the nearest Coast Guard station instead.

Unfortunatly, they have been giving pretty exact information on the news about where the whale is these days. It sounds like he really has thing for divers too.

My main worry, beside the poor guy getting wacked by a boat, is that he is going to get entangled in fishing gear (gill net or lobster trawl).

MASS-Diver:
Unfortunatly, they have been giving pretty exact information on the news about where the whale is these days.
Yeah, modern U.S. news is a totally loose cannon. As long as it's technically not illegal, they'll report it. On the nature front, CNN wrote a piece a few weeks back about a very rare form of star cactus, prized for poaching and only found in a small part of Texas. So of course they told everybody the general area of where it was found, it's "street value", where it could be sold, what it looks like, and how there isn't any law enforcement to protect it. Reprehensible.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Boston news ran a piece about how to capture white whales and sell them to aquariums.

and Poco has new prop scars. Why the **** can't people leave things alone?! Maybe the next prop will take out his head and he can die quickly. I just hope he doesn't suffer.

decapoddiver:
and Poco has new prop scars. Why the **** can't people leave things alone?! Maybe the next prop will take out his head and he can die quickly. I just hope he doesn't suffer.

That's very sad, I hope he's OK.

Thought I'd post a little update despite the age of this thread.

Poco was spotted at the community dock down the street from my in-laws house in Harpswell, ME during the past week. He apparently was having a great time bumping folks who were rowing from their boats to the dock in their dingies after mooring....gave one old lady the scare of her life....

The folks who saw him did report their sightings to Cathy Kinsman

Seems that he is headed north. He's been sighted by the Secret Service off of the Bush estate in Kennebunkport as well as in the Portland area recently....now he's still farther north in Harpswell.

that's cool. I was just wondering about Poco the other day. glad to hear he is still alive!

Awesome luck!!!!! how cool is having a beluga for your dive buddy. Hopefully the whale will find her way back home. But in the meantime it made one lucky diver REAL happy, I'm sure.

Great pics by the way.

maria

Back
Top Bottom