OMG!!!!!! Guess who my dive buddy was for 2 dives today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver:
I will be sending them some pic's tomorrow. Sounds like I met a healthy, normal beluga who happened to stray South. The person I spoke said that a beluga was seen in Gloucester a couple of years ago so I guess it's not rare, just uncommon :)

That's good to hear that she was probably a healthy whale. I still can't get over those pics, so cool!

Hello Scott,

I just received an email from Mason at the Whale Centre, who sent me to your site and the beluga story. I have been researching and running protection and education programs on behalf of solitary sociable beluga whales in Atlantic Canada for the past six years. The beluga that you had such an incredible encounter with, is known as "Poco", actually a juvenile male. He frequently visited commercial divers in the Bay of Fundy along the New Brunswick coast from September to December last year.

I was very excited to hear of your encounter and to see the photos which confirm the beluga's identity. I wonder if you would get in touch with me so I could get more information? I am interested in the date and exact location of the encounter and if you know if he has been sighted by anyone else. I would love to speak with you directly so I invite you to call the toll free number (below) when you get the chance.

If you like, you may find out a little more about Poco and the other belugas we have been involved with on our website.

Thank you for writing about your experience. It is very helpful to know how the beluga is behaving and most of all, that he is surviving out there on his own!

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Best wishes,

Cathy Kinsman
Project Director

Whale Stewardship Project
PO Box 36101
Halifax, NS

Thank you for writing about your experience. It is very helpful to know how the beluga is behaving and most of all, that he is surviving out there on his own!

Man that is beyond fantastic!!!!!!
Makes it twice the story if thats even possible

Awesome! So glad its a healthy (seemingly) happy critter and there is info on him! Thanks for sharing your response....made my day!

It's stories like this that make me happy I am a diver. *sigh* Is there anything cooler in the world than meeting up with such a little fellow? I think not. Lucky you, Scott, to have made Poco's acquaintance. :)

Back
Top Bottom