Question Oldest dive shops / people who've been diving for decades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey there! My name is Benji and I'm an environmental reporter at Vox. I'm traveling to Bonaire later this month for a series of stories about the resilience of Bonaire's reefs in the face of climate change. I'm looking for divers on the island who have been diving there for decades and may be able to speak about the changes they've seen. Do you have any suggestions? It could be dive shops that have been operating for a very long time or people with many years of diving experience.

Thank you!

You can reach me here or at benji.jones@vox.com.

- Benji

You are 4 years too late to talk to Bruce Bowker, one of the early pioneers on Bonaire, nine years too late to talk to Ebo Domacasse, an early diver there, and ten years too late to talk to Capt Don Stewart, who started it all there in 1962. I'd sugget you contact the dive ops managers at Carib Inn (started by Bowker), Capt Don's Habitat, and Buddy Dive Resort (another resort, started in 1980 and still going strong); they should be able to put you in contact with some old timers.

You are 4 years too late to talk to Bruce Bowker, one of the early pioneers on Bonaire, nine years too late to talk to Ebo Domacasse, an early diver there, and ten years too late to talk to Capt Don Stewart, who started it all there in 1962. I'd sugget you contact the dive ops managers at Carib Inn (started by Bowker), Capt Don's Habitat, and Buddy Dive Resort (another resort, started in 1980 and still going strong); they chold be able to put you in contact with some old timers.
Ah, that’s too bad! But thanks — I’ll try those shops. I appreciate your help!

You missed Jerry Ligon also :(

Try to find Dee Scarr
Yes, Jerry would have been good, although I think he did not arrive on island until the mid-80s.
Dee Scarr arrived about 1980, I think, and is still active. dee(at)touchthesea.com.

Benji, Ellen Muller is the most assiduous and clear-eyed documenter of the Bonaire reefs, which she’s been photographing for decades. She has identified several previously-unknown species, and has been documenting the rapid deterioration of the reefs due to bleaching and SCTLD. She’s active on FB, and her images are at Galleries by Ellen Muller.

Benji, Ellen Muller is the most assiduous and clear-eyed documenter of the Bonaire reefs, which she’s been photographing for decades. She has identified several previously-unknown species, and has been documenting the rapid deterioration of the reefs due to bleaching and SCTLD. She’s active on FB, and her images are at Galleries by Ellen Muller.
Excellent suggestion!

Thank you! I’ll check her out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom