Question Oldest dive shops / people who've been diving for decades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please use science and not antidotal evidence based on observations of non-scientist divers.

You should interview STINPA.
1. ANECDOTAL, not ANTIDOTAL. Please use English rather than guesses. :)
2. Ellen Muller's photographs over the decades are hardly anecdotal. Dee Scarr IS a scientist.
3. STINAPA not STINPA.

Per its website, "STINAPA's main responsibilities include: mooring maintenance, law enforcement, research and monitoring, and serving as an advisor to the island government." Certainly, STINAPA is a worthwhile resource and is taking a leadership role in the management of the reefs during SCTLD and in coral restoration. As to "non-scientist divers." Ms. Muller discovered at least two now-named species, the nudibranch eponymously named Trapania bonellenae (Bon for Bonaire, and Ellen for, well, Ellen. How science-y is that?!) and the candy striped hermit crab, Pylopaguropsis mollymullerae, named for the discoverer's daughter.

Facts are the antidote for anecdote.

1. ANECDOTAL, not ANTIDOTAL. Please use English rather than guesses. :)
2. Ellen Muller's photographs over the decades are hardly anecdotal. Dee Scarr IS a scientist.
3. STINAPA not STINPA.
Thanks for correcting typos. Autocorrect burned me again.

I never said anything about Ellen just that you should use scientists rather than random people. Surely you should appreciate that. Recall the OP was looking for long time divers so I redirected towards scientists.

Now lets stop correcting typos and find more scientists for the OP to contact.

Thanks for correcting typos. Autocorrect burned me again.

I never said anything about Ellen just that you should use scientists rather than random people. Surely you should appreciate that. Recall the OP was looking for long time divers so I redirected towards scientists.

Now lets stop correcting typos and find more scientists for the OP to contact.

Go ahead. Suggest one. Just one.

Please use science and not antidotal evidence based on observations of non-scientist divers.

You should interview STINPA.
Yep. I've already talked to several people at STINAPA and interviewed a dozen scientists. I'm also looking for color beyond scientific data, as this is a narrative feature.

Ned and Anna DeLoach - everyone knows their books, generally come the island annually and while not local, through their photography, reef.org foundation, and other activities can not only comment on Bonaire but would be excellent resources on how Bonaire compares to other islands.

Hey there! My name is Benji and I'm an environmental reporter at Vox. I'm traveling to Bonaire later this month for a series of stories about the resilience of Bonaire's reefs in the face of climate change. I'm looking for divers on the island who have been diving there for decades and may be able to speak about the changes they've seen. Do you have any suggestions? It could be dive shops that have been operating for a very long time or people with many years of diving experience.

Thank you!

You can reach me here or at benji.jones@vox.com.

- Benji
You can try LINDA at Carib Inn. She has been there for 30 years but may have hung up her fins last year. She still works there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom