Older Divers - Perceptions of the Youthful

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockPile:
True, but some of the older stuff is more durable and simple (less of Murphy's Law to go around), which is good.

JB

What were we talking about again... :)

For example??

I'll grant you that there is some really low cost "junk" being made, and marketed. The marketing of fins is a prime example. But overall, I really think today's equipment is superior to the "old" stuff.

Modern plastics are far superior to metal as used in marine (diving) environmnents. It doesn't dent, won't corrode, and is lighter in weight and has better thermal expansion coefficients. The downside as used in a second stage is that one has to design for cold water use as plastic has low heat transfer properties. (easier to freeze up in cold water)

But this opens another concept. Define "OLD STUFF." :)

Randy43068:
For example??

Take the Conshelf v. Legend. The answers to which one breathes better and which one is less likely to break are different.

I get that this opinion doesn't bode well for sales but remember, it's just my opinion.

JB

RockPile:
Take the Conshelf v. Legend. The answers to which one breathes better and which one is less likely to break are different.

I get that this opinion doesn't bode well for sales but remember, it's just my opinion.

JB

I've got an SE2 and replaced it with Apex. I've never looked back. Apex beats it hands down. Fewer parts inside and the Apex breathes better.

I'm not saying the old stuff is bad, just that there are better now days. If it works, no need to replace it.

superstar:
Thanks for giving us adult supervision. We at times don't act our ages do we.
I'm glad he's lookin' out for us. Now where'd I put my dentures? Eh??

RockPile:

JB

try an Atomic.. those things ROCK! Lots of money, but good regs.

(am I too old to say "ROCK?")

Fortunately for me, I've had the luxury of being 39 for ten years now. Makes me kind of an expert ya know!

One of my heroes is Wayne Mitchel. He doesn't get all involved in the latest controversey or gear: he just dives. I would never get into a car that he is driving again, but dive with him??? Oh yes! Indeedy do!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom