Older Divers - Perceptions of the Youthful

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
In response to a question in another forum regarding the age of divers, a question popped into my head: "How do younger divers (< 40 yrs. old) perceive older divers?"
I usually think "geeeze, I sure hope I don't have to do CPR today." :)
Rick (who sometimes forgets he's no longer 18)

I guess I look at the "older" divers with a lot of respect and appreciation. They are the pioneers of this sport and through their experiences, look at how much more we know and how much safer we can be when we dive. I don't always understand their sometimes stubborness to look at or at least consider some of the newer diving phliosphies/equipment/techniques that often times have been brought about by the education the older divers have given us. This certainly doesn't apply to all divers but the idea that just because they haven't done something or used something for the last 40 years means that it isn't useful or safer or needed..........

dandrian:
I guess I look at the "older" divers with a lot of respect and appreciation. They are the pioneers of this sport and through their experiences, look at how much more we know and how much safer we can be when we dive. I don't always understand their sometimes stubborness to look at or at least consider some of the newer diving phliosphies/equipment/techniques that often times have been brought about by the education the older divers have given us. This certainly doesn't apply to all divers but the idea that just because they haven't done something or used something for the last 40 years means that it isn't useful or safer or needed..........

not trying to start a flame or an "issue" but what examples of the old geezers not adapting to new equipment or techniques do you have? For instance_______??

In the last year, I've crossed two "milestones". Some months ago I made my hundredth dive and this month I turned 50. I certified at the tender age of 43 (nearly 44), so I can't claim to be the "voice of experience" and absolutely not a "pioneer of the sport". Instead, I'm just a person who had wanted to dive ever since I watched Lloyd Bridges in SeaHunt when I was a kid, then later Jacques Costeau aboard the Calypso. Hey, I got here as soon as I could, and now I'm enjoying the heck out of my underwater experiences. My ambition is to do what I one fellow told me he wanted to do a few years ago. He wanted to do 75 minutes at 75 feet on his 75th birthday. I hope he made it, and I hope I will, too, God willing.

Randy43068:
not trying to start a flame or an "issue" but what examples of the old geezers not adapting to new equipment or techniques do you have? For instance_______??

Seriously? How many 18 year-olds to you see at the vintage dives? Not a ton.

The older divers I know aren't fooled by every new dumb@#$ regulator and BC "system" to hit the market. Whenever I get a chance to dive with two of my original mentors both will have shiny metal regulators and at least one will be using a horse collar and I will proceed to be out-dived as usual.

In fact, finding their high regard for quality of equipment regardless of era to exist in this forum too has prompted me to buy my first Conshelf XIV. In fact, payment just went through and I&#8217;m already excited&#8230;

My only thing is quiet older divers (which, frankly, I haven&#8217;t seen much of)&#8230; That&#8217;s no good. I want stories. I want all four versions of how they saved Billy McLoyde&#8217;s life and both uncensored versions of how his wife repaid them. And if I can&#8217;t have stories I&#8217;ll settle for belligerent critique of my skills (thankfully, this is usually more than abundant). :)

JB

RockPile:
Seriously? How many 18 year-olds to you see at the vintage dives? Not a ton.

The older divers I know aren't fooled by every new dumb@#$ regulator and BC "system" to hit the market. Whenever I get a chance to dive with two of my original mentors both will have shiny metal regulators and at least one will be using a horse collar and I will proceed to be out-dived as usual.

In fact, finding their high regard for quality of equipment regardless of era to exist in this forum too has prompted me to buy my first Conshelf XIV. In fact, payment just went through and I’m already excited…

My only thing is quiet older divers (which, frankly, I haven’t seen much of)… That’s no good. I want stories. I want all four versions of how they saved Billy McLoyde’s life and both uncensored versions of how his wife repaid you. And if I can’t have stories I’ll settle for belligerent critique of my skills (thankfully, this is usually more than abundant). :)

JB

Maybe I misread or took his post wrong. I thought he was saying that old geezers don't adapt to new ideas or equipment, and that's a bad thing. So I was asking for an example of what he is talking about. Make sense?

Guba:
In the last year, I've crossed two "milestones". Some months ago I made my hundredth dive and this month I turned 50. I certified at the tender age of 43 (nearly 44), so I can't claim to be the "voice of experience" and absolutely not a "pioneer of the sport". Instead, I'm just a person who had wanted to dive ever since I watched Lloyd Bridges in SeaHunt when I was a kid, then later Jacques Costeau aboard the Calypso. Hey, I got here as soon as I could, and now I'm enjoying the heck out of my underwater experiences. My ambition is to do what I one fellow told me he wanted to do a few years ago. He wanted to do 75 minutes at 75 feet on his 75th birthday. I hope he made it, and I hope I will, too, God willing.

I'm with you pal! :)

Randy43068:
Maybe I misread or took his post wrong. I thought he was saying that old geezers don't adapt to new ideas or equipment, and that's a bad thing. So I was asking for an example of what he is talking about. Make sense?

Oh. I read your question to mean that you wanted an example of someone not adapting to equipment or techniques. Instead you want an explanation of why this would be so bad, I see.

Sounds like we’re in agreement. Sorry for the confusion.

JB

Also, if it weren’t for older divers I wouldn’t now, every once in a while, develop a strange hankering for Hamm’s Black beer.

I think it's great and as others have said my 1st thought is that I hope I can still do this in 20 or 30 years. From the reactions of the other divers on the boats I think its pretty universal. One of the many things I like about diving is the universal appeal, it's not limited to a young person/old person activity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom