Older Divers - Perceptions of the Youthful

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, im 16 now. For the past 6 years, many "older" divers(and yes, everyone was older than me when i was ten on the boat. But older here is over 50) seem to be very overweight. For the skinny older guys, i wish that I will be that fit when i am older. But for the very large older guys, I wonder how much lead they have to use. It never ceases to amaze me that obese men dive without having a heart attack. Sorry if i am generalizing here.

Well, at 56 years of age, and at 5'9" and 230 lbs. I guess I'd fit that description. And yeah, it's a generalization. Over the past seven years I've done about 2,000 dives and quite a few of them involve long surface swims and/or current. We do a lot of shore diving here, and I can do a beach entry and surface swim carrying dual 119's and a pair of deco bottles without too much difficulty. Or at least I haven't had a heart attack yet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom