Older Divers - Perceptions of the Youthful

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only difference I can see with older divers (being over 40 myself), is perhaps (and this is just my impression so far) they are a bit less likely to push the envelope than a younger diver might, and from the few over 40 dive teams I'v seen, they seem to be more buddy aware, go slower, and enjoy the social time, as well as the dive time.

But I do like having younger dviers in the group...their energy and enthusiasm keeps keeps the older crew young. that being said, I'll dive with any agegroup...even the kids...you can learn something from every group.

fookisan:
Glad thoughts are more positive in diving than on the aggressive skating board I am on. They hate old guys. Me being 51 is ancient to them

fookisan
I still rip the half pipe at our local park and the kids think its cool. They call me old school.

I love seeing and talking with older divers. (I'm no spring chicken, myself!) I always learn something, and most of them have a ton of great stories. I look at them and think, "Yeah, when I'm in my 60's, I still want to be diving." :)

Need the term for an old diver that wont get you in trouble? Try this:

"A seasoned water-person zestfully approaching the onset of senescence."

It will work, trust me...

Just wanted to echo pretty much everyone else's comments that it's good to know I can still *hopefully* be diving for many decades to come.

Being 34, I know I'm far from "mature", but I know how slippery a slope age is (I can remember back to being a kid and saying "Wow, in the year 2000, I'll be 28, that's so old!!") and I want to enjoy every bit I can for as long as I can.

Sometimes I think to myself "I wish I could have taken up the sport 10 or 20 years earlier", but in all honesty, I think I found it at just the right time. I have the expendable income and more importantly, the appreciation for the sport that I might not have had as little as 5 years ago.

Age is just a chronological measure. This chassis has 57 years on it but I think and act like a man in my 30's so I feel somewhat entitled to respond to this thread. It may take me all night to do what I used to do all night ...but I'm still getting the job done. One of the many great things about diving is that there isn't an upper age limit.

'Slogger

in Maui I ran into a couple in their 70's diving. They were great to talk to they had started to dive when they were in their 60's. I thought it was amazing and inspirational.

I will be very happy if I am still diving n my 70's.

When I was new to diving and in my mid 20s, I met and was mentored by Bob, who started diving about the time I was born. We became very good friends. He stopped teaching (NAUI & YMCA) in the mid 60s. I learned as much about diving, if not more, from him than from anyone else I've ever known. While he was (I thought) a great deal older than me, age was never a factor, he was as strong, active and healthy and anyone I knew. I recently realized I'm now older than Bob was then. Seems like yesterday...............

pure respect for the elders. My instructor is 65+ and is OLD SCHOOL. He's a true OG - first one to map out Tubbataha, first one to map apo reef, first one to survey the spratlys, first one to invest in Anilao, first one to dive verde island, first one to dive Northern Palawan... I love hearing his stories. He was even classmates with John Bennett. His nickname is Mr. Cool and he lives up to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom