Older divers, new trip to Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnsonju

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are two "older" diving sisters (66+) coming to the Philippines for the first time in April, 2011. We will be joining a dive group in P.Galera for 9 days, but want to spend about a week prior to that in another location. Our goal is to adjust to the time change, see another Philippine location, and do some snorkeling and mellow diving (we are OW, each have about 100 dives, last dove in Bonaire, before that in Indonesia). We prefer not much current and enjoy both macro and the larger stuff (if the conditions are suitable for our skill level). We are past our backpacking days, and would like a quiet, clean, comfy place to stay (no night life is necessary!) We have a moderate budget and are willing to stretch a little for a good dive operation. Based on what I've read here, we are thinking about flying from Manila (our arrival port) to Cebu and taking a van to Moalboal or flying to Dumaguete and diving around there (including Apo Island). We would appreciate any recommendations as to dive operations (we need to rent BCD's/regs) and accomodations. Thanks very much.

JJ

if you dont mind losing a couple of dive days due to flying, i would suggest bohol/panglao or dauin/apo island. you can take flights directly from manila to tagbilaran, bohol or dumaguete without having to go to cebu.

If you decide on going to Alona Beach, Bohol, Oasis Resort is a quiet location. Their on-premises dive shop is Seaquest Dive Center.

The manager of the operation is Marcus should you want to contact him for reservations.

I will be in Bohol during the time you would be there. I am also an "older" diver :D and do all my diving with Seaquest.

I have a map of the area on my website

If you decide on Bohol just PM me for any info you need and I will also give you my Philippine cell number. I am in Bohol for 6 to 8 months at a time. I'm retired.

old_diver_camera.png

Transfer to Anilao right after touching down at Manila. It is 3-4 hrs road journey. There is no night life there ie. very quiet with wide range of resorts to choose from. Diving there is relatively unchallenged and Puderto Galera is only 2 hrs away.

Thank you all for the advice. We liked both Anilao and Bohol, which were top candidates until we found a good price on tickets from the U.S. to Cebu, returning from Manila, so we are planning to dive around Moalboa this time. So far, we've inquired at Asian-Belgian and Turtle Dive Resort, so if anyone has stayed at either place, we'd love to hear about it. We'll put the Oasis Resort in our "rolodex" for next time and hope to catch up with you, Gilligan. (By the way, I am envious of your picture. Next time I dive, I'll have my sister snap one of me.)

jj

Just came back from Sogod Bay for a much needed break and family vacation and bonding. Sogod Bay offers snorkelling with whale sharks (between December to April) and at the same time scuba diving in its other marine protected areas (not frequented by whale sharks). Although its not yet world renowned, it is only now that Sogod Bay is getting the attention of the International diving community. There are only a few diving resorts, but these are run by foreigners, take your pick: Australian - Sogod Bay Scuba Resort; German - Southern Leyte Dive Resort to name a few. There's also Peter's Dive Resort (although I'm not sure if Peter is an American).

I recommend that you consider also diving at Sogod Bay, Southern Leyte. Going there, you have to take a domestic flight from Manila to Tacloban, and from the airport, you have to take a 3-hour land trip to Sogod Bay. But to facilitate your land travel from the Tacloban Airport to Sogod Bay, you can have the same arranged by the resort (where you will be staying). Although resorts there are not five-star accomodations, the basic amenities such as hot water, decent rooms and in the case of Sogod Bay Scuba Resort, great food is available.

We are two "older" diving sisters (66+) coming to the Philippines for the first time in April, 2011. We will be joining a dive group in P.Galera for 9 days, but want to spend about a week prior to that in another location.
JJ

We spent two weeks in August with Atlantis and it was nothing short of awesome. The first week at the PG location and second week at the Dumeguette location. They can handle the location chance for you to make it easy, and the diving staff at both were great. The diving and atmosphere is just different enough at both location to keep things interesting. Good luck with your plans.

Tom

Dear JJ,
I have not been on the Board much lately, as I have been real busy but I just sent you a PM I have provided you a recommendation concerning Moalboal and you are welcome to email me at Rogerdives at gmail dot com ....

Cheers,
Roger

Thank you all for the advice. We liked both Anilao and Bohol, which were top candidates until we found a good price on tickets from the U.S. to Cebu, returning from Manila, so we are planning to dive around Moalboa this time. So far, we've inquired at Asian-Belgian and Turtle Dive Resort, so if anyone has stayed at either place, we'd love to hear about it. We'll put the Oasis Resort in our "rolodex" for next time and hope to catch up with you, Gilligan. (By the way, I am envious of your picture. Next time I dive, I'll have my sister snap one of me.)

jj

If you arrive at Cebu you are only a 1.5 hour (500php) ferry ride (nice air conditioned - usually smooth ride) to Tagbilaran, Bohol and a 30min. drive (250 by tricycle) to Alona Beach. I've visited twice diving with Philippine Fun Divers - in Lost Horizon Resort complex - I didn't stay there as I really go low budget for housing - 700php fan room. But lots of variety in accomodation to fit most any budget. Mostly small critters, school of jacks at Balicasag, good corals and lots of restaurants serving fresh fish in the evening.

I'm pleased to report that we'll be diving with Roger in Moalboal. I will definitely consider the trip to Tagbilaran and Alona Beach on our way back, as we'll be in Cebu and have a couple of free days. (The Oasis Resort has been recommended here.) By the way, has anyone every gone to Nalusuan Island Resort? It looks like it might be fun??

Thanks again.
JJ

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom