Old Luxfer tank valve question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kc9ljo

Registered
Reaction score
I have an old Luxfer tank made in 85. I do not plan on trying to use it because of that whole alloy thing. But my question is this. Are the valves on the old tanks able to be used on new tanks? Or are they useful for parts etc?
Thanks

depends on which valve is on there. In general, yes, the threads should be the 3/4" threads that are "standard" now. If you go back far enough there were some NPT valves on the steel 72's and some skinny necks on the high pressure steels, but I don't believe aluminum has used anything but 3/4".

Should be no reason you can't use them, but they typically aren't worth anything and any parts they have are easily replaced with new ones. Any parts that can come off of the valve are all pretty standard and with the exception of like 3 different parts *Knob, Dip-stick, and the retainer*, they're all considered consumables.

I'd go through it and replace the burst disc if I was going to put it on another tank. It may never have been serviced since it was made, it's always good to check.

Bob

I still use my old valves, they are the same as most new valves. But the burst discs have changed! A shop recently changed mine and I feel screwed because I did not ask them to replace the burst assemblies. The old ones used a think copper disc that could easily e replaced. The new ones are a one-piece assembly that supposedly bursts more accurately, but there is nothing you can do to prevent sea water corrosion so now they MUST be replaced regularly. An added fuss and downtime and expense. (With the old ones, you could grease the exterior surface, preventing water contact, ensuring no corrosion.)

And if you have an old J valve, expect no shop can overhaul it. Some of the parts are no longer available, they'll bollux that up too. Some of the USD valves can still be overhauled because the military market continues to use them, so parts are still available.

Back
Top Bottom