ok to put weights in tank bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
going to experiment with my buoyancy over the weekend. was wondering if there are any cons to putting a single weight on one of my tank bands? last thing i want to do is use a weight belt. thanks

Many people use tank band trim weights to assist in balance/trim refinement. Just be sure that it's balanced equally on each side of the long axis of your body, lest wise ye may be listing a wee bit to port or starboard !!! If you have double tank straps you can tune your trim and balance even more.

It is generally recommended that you have some ditchable weight in reserve for emergency situations.
Some members of the board may state that even ditchable weight is not required if you can swim your rig up from the bottom, but let's not head in that direction.

When diving with BP/W and single tank I always put weight on the tank - also to help my trim which with the single tank is not perfect (my butt goes higher so my head goes lower - typical for woman)
:D
Mania

I have two pockets, one on either side of my tank. I find they work fine and remove some weight from my hips. Try it, youll like it.

mania:
(my butt goes higher so my head goes lower - typical for woman)
Mania
If I knew you better I would have to comment :wink:

mania:
When diving with BP/W and single tank I always put weight on the tank - also to help my trim which with the single tank is not perfect (my butt goes higher so my head goes lower - typical for woman)
Mania
I must be a funny shape then! My tank bands are much higher than my waist so if I put the weights on my tank I'd be much MORE top heavy - not less. :D

Spoon:
going to experiment with my buoyancy over the weekend. was wondering if there are any cons to putting a single weight on one of my tank bands? last thing i want to do is use a weight belt. thanks

I'm not sure the question has been aswered....

Putting the weight on a band? Like threading a hard weight? I would think that would compromise the tank mount since things could settle. Granted most get by with just one band anyhow.

Threading weight pockets could work since it wouldn't take away from the wrap. An extra cam strap right on the tank would seem to be the safest way to go and be the most configurable IMO... Am I off base?

Pete

mania:
Mania

i am also using a ss/bp. will be interesting how i fare. will experiment with putting the elad in numerous positions.

spectrum:
I'm not sure the question has been aswered....

Putting the weight on a band? Like threading a hard weight? I would think that would compromise the tank mount since things could settle. Granted most get by with just one band anyhow.

Threading weight pockets could work since it wouldn't take away from the wrap. An extra cam strap right on the tank would seem to be the safest way to go and be the most configurable IMO... Am I off base?

Pete

my rig has two tank bands/cams. this is where i plan to attach the lead.

We did the same thing in order to adjust our bouyancy.........

We originally started off experimenting with some home made weight pockets that attached to the cam bands. Think of a box with a full-length velcro closure flap on it. Seemed to work OK, but we had trouble adjusting the weight up and down the cylinder.

I bought a couple of "short" weight belt setups along with some of those "anti-slip" pads that you see on the regular can bands, and a couple of weight belt buckles. We put a weight on each side of the cylinder, and place it around the cylinder. By going this way, we can adjust the weight up and down, and they don't collapse the BCD when changing cylinders. The only tricky part is getting them tight enough, so they don't slip.

Otherwise, they seem to work great for us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom