ok to put weights in tank bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickyd:
As Kidspot said earlier, try using the individual weight pockets available everywhere. They fit nicely on the band, and provide a pocket that can accommodate up to 5#'s. I have one each on the top and bottom bands, on opposing sides of the tank.

oops - communication error - I "intended" to say put them on your waist belt so it's like you have integrated weights - That's what I've done the last few dives and so far am quite pleased with them - much more comfortable and easier to ditch if needed than wearing a weight belt under the crotch strap (what I had been doing)

But using them on the tank bands works nicely too...

Aloha, Tim

ok, speaking of the crotchstrap...can you see any reason why it might not be in my best interests to put a 2lb or 4lb weight on my crotchstrap, with a weightkeeper on either side...just above the D ring?
I need 0 in my 3 mil and approx. 2-4lbs...in my 5mil in FW with an AL BP, 27 lb Halcyon Pioneer. I hate wearing a belt just for 4lbs and this seems more thrifty than buying a camband for the tank. (I realize this will not be sufficient in SW, but I wear a weightbelt in that case.)

You do have a point, Diver0001. If I had my druthers, I'd be using regular cam bands instead of weight belt material.

We have found that being extra careful (adding another item to our cross-check list) and being very aware potrntialproblems has been successful.

To others out there considering this solution: Diver0001 has a good point if you want to have an absolutely worry-free setup. Use a cam band with the anti-slip pad.

Jim

Spoon, you know that Halcyon also makes a cam band weight pouch. It cost around $46 for a pair. I got four cam band pouches made by the third party, such as XS Scuba. I put the two pouches on the uppger cam band. It helps a weight distribution even though I use ACB system. I also put that weight pouch on AL80 tank each to make it a neutral tank. It works great.

Spoon:
guys just got back from excellent diving. the weights wouldnt fit in the tank bands. the straps on my halcyon were too thick to go through the opening slots on the lead. i substitued me waist strap. problem solved.

I spent a couple hours last night bending the slots on some weights too allow the halcyon straps through them. Then I come across this today :D
If you use something thin and strong enough (I've got a really old thick diving knife I'm using) you can bend the holes big enough to get the straps though. I'm putting 2Kg of weight on both straps. I haven't dived with a weightbelt for a while - I just put the weights straight on my waist strap.

Azza:
When I dive with a single tank I have
2 KG on top cam band
4 kg in weight pockets on waist strap of backplate
2 kg in my weight belt.
This trims me out perfect. I wear a 3mm compressed neoprene dry suit with 300 gram under suit and dive in cold water
Whats that in real weight?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom