ok to put weights in tank bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't put weights on the tank bands. I use separate strap - smething like this - akthough - it's not me and in fact tanks used here are doubles. I use the strap on single tank - for doubles I use v-weight - also mounted very low.
Mania
PS. As for my butt vs. my head - feel free to comment
:D

When diving my BP, I slip a single cam band with a 3# solid weight on it over the tank and slide it down to the bottom next to the boot. Then mount my BP (two straps). I only use this setup when diving a major spring with up current. Otherwise I dive my BP with a 130 steel tank and additional weight is not required. I wear no other weights.

I dove with 6# on my tank strap back in the BC days. One on either side, snugged up against the BC. With them snugged up between the BC and the tank, it actually kept the tank more secured [almost like a STA] then without them.

I use a BPW with add-on pockets. Couldn't jam enough weight into the pockets so I use a 5# weight on the tank band. Tried it on the upper first, made me top-heavy. Put it on the bottom strap, that trimmed me out just right. This still gives me up to 10# ditchable weight. Go ahead and experiment , YMMV ...

Spectre:
I dove with 6# on my tank strap back in the BC days. One on either side, snugged up against the BC. With them snugged up between the BC and the tank, it actually kept the tank more secured [almost like a STA] then without them.

I used to do the exact same thing. No problems.

btw - to the original question ... I used to have 2 2lb weights on my lower cam band - slid them all the way up against the plate and they helped to stabalize the tank I found - (just as Spectre stated) never had any problem with slipping or shifting. On my aluminum "loaner" plate I put weight on both cam bands to make it the same weight as a SS plate - it works nicely there as well. Have fun experimenting!

Tim

guys just got back from excellent diving. the weights wouldnt fit in the tank bands. the straps on my halcyon were too thick to go through the opening slots on the lead. i substitued me waist strap. problem solved.

Spoon:
guys just got back from excellent diving. the weights wouldn't fit in the tank bands. the straps on my halcyon were too thick to go through the opening slots on the lead. i substitued me waist strap. problem solved.

As Kidspot said earlier, try using the individual weight pockets available everywhere. They fit nicely on the band, and provide a pocket that can accommodate up to 5#'s. I have one each on the top and bottom bands, on opposing sides of the tank.

When I dive with a single tank I have
2 KG on top cam band
4 kg in weight pockets on waist strap of backplate
2 kg in my weight belt.
This trims me out perfect. I wear a 3mm compressed neoprene dry suit with 300 gram under suit and dive in cold water

Most women on the other hand tend to have floaty ankles (Sorry ladies you just do) so probably wont need to attach weight up high, rather concentrate it down lower to keep the butt/ankles down. Experimentation is the key here.
My partner gets by with 6 kg in her weight pockets and 4 kg on her weight belt and trims out nicely with a 5/7mm semi dry. OTOH hand she was playing in the pool the other night and couldnt fin pivot because her feet wouldnt stay on the ground, not that that worried her because she is a shinning example of trim
icosm14.gif

Think of yourself like a pair of old time scales, where you slide the weight up and down to weigh things?
If you have all the weight at one end of the scale, then the other end is up in the air. If you have them balanced right, it is level.
The belly button should be the centre of gravity while the head is at one end of the scale, and the feet at the other.

Does this make sense?
I hope it does
Cheers

JVM4.0:
We did the same thing in order to adjust our bouyancy.........

We originally started off experimenting with some home made weight pockets that attached to the cam bands. Think of a box with a full-length velcro closure flap on it. Seemed to work OK, but we had trouble adjusting the weight up and down the cylinder.

I bought a couple of "short" weight belt setups along with some of those "anti-slip" pads that you see on the regular can bands, and a couple of weight belt buckles. We put a weight on each side of the cylinder, and place it around the cylinder. By going this way, we can adjust the weight up and down, and they don't collapse the BCD when changing cylinders. The only tricky part is getting them tight enough, so they don't slip.

Otherwise, they seem to work great for us.

Bad karma on that solution, mate.

The idea is good but you need to use a regular tank band (just buy an extra one). They're meant to clamp down hard and they won't pop open when you bump into something.

A weight belt buckle isn't secure enough for this application.

R..

Back
Top Bottom