Ok, so it's time for me to post my Cozumel screw ups...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting, DD and for being man enough to post. We know that you an experienced and very knowledgeable diver. Anyone can make mistakes. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully, your posts will help others to learn.
Haha somewhat experienced I supposed, but out of practice. We usually go to Santa Rosa NM before a trip, make a lot of mistakes there, relearn things, as well as test our gear.

As far as knowledgeable, yeah - I knew better than all this. It's sad how I have to relearn things so often. I do hope others can learn from my screw-ups and dive safer.

thanks!

Thanks for posting DD. We can never hear enough about what may go wrong. It makes us safer divers.

...for taking a critical look at your diving incidents and working to improve things. And I am very happy things turned out well.

May I ask a favor? Can you view my comments in the (positive) spirit they are intended?

a) You need to recognize the seriousness of the incidents. While a good response on your part caused a good outcome, layer on another complication and the outcome could be very bad.

b) You need to take responsibility for the incidents. Yes, you didn't get in your shakedown dive in NM. Yes, you dove without a pony. Yes, the staff fiddle with your gear. Yes, you are without your buddy. But it was you who failed to check the valve. It was you who failed to check the spg early & often.

c) Task loading may be an issue. Camera. New BC. New dive buddies. Need a refresher dive. Lots of extra gear (two masks, etc.).

d) Is your pony a redundant safety device or a crutch allowing for sloppy procedures?

My suggestions:
1) Check your own air before you get in the water. This means checking the valve yourself, taking a breath from the main and the octo and watching the gauge.
2) Never put yourself in a position where you can end up in the water before you are 100% ready to end up in the water.
3) Streamline your gear. A backup mask is one thing but switching between masks on the boat well...
4) Try to only introduce one new thing a dive. New BC. Consider a shakedown shore diving refresher on your first day. Chance to get wet, go slow and get the weight and exposure suit right. Use a camera only when you are 100% comfortable with everything else. IMHO, you need to always dive with a good buddy (and never solo).
5) Is there no way you can reach the valve? Are you mounting the tank too low in the bc? Is the BC or exposure suit too tight? Can you try grabbing ahose and working your hand up?

In any event, glad everything turned out well!!

May I ask a favor? Can you view my comments in the (positive) spirit they are intended?
Oh sure, and thanks. All good ones, no disagreements, but I'll comment on a few...
It was you who failed to check the spg early & often.
That was my biggest and dumbest, altho I learned from all of them - and comments are appreciated. Not watching my spg tho, air hog that I am - I was totally blown by that one; nothing more important. :blush: I had wanted to drill aq deep CESA, and you can't really do it with just pretending you're out, or even with a valve closed at depth, as it's just not the same as having that tank with expanding air connected to your mouth with the reg still in. Of the little I did right that dive, of what I learned and relearned, keeping the reg in my mouth is really up there! Even on the surface; it's got to be a very calm sea and buoyancy well established before even thinking of removing it.
Lots of extra gear (two masks, etc.).
I always carry two masks along with more gear than most, intended as safety back-ups - but any more would probly be too much. Carrying a spare mask and practicing changes is a good idea I think.
d) Is your pony a redundant safety device or a crutch allowing for sloppy procedures?
Intended as the former, but in the worse cases covers the latter - like this.
My suggestions:
1) Check your own air before you get in the water. This means checking the valve yourself, taking a breath from the main and the octo and watching the gauge.
Eh, I do that, other than the dive mentioned where I fell in prematurely - teaching me to suck before moving from the bench to the edge, but that's not going to tell you if it's 1/4 on, at least not on my reg. Try it on yours there at home. Open the valve 1/4 turn on a 3,000# tank and take a big drag on the reg. See any movement on the spg? I don't.

On a small Cozumel boat, where they keep the tanks in back until the last minute - it's really best to let the crew mount/move the BC to the tank or next tank. However, it's still up to me to check my gear when they bring the BC & tank to me, and I need to do better there. Even with the language confusions that happen, that would be the time for me to turn my valve all the way on myself and explain to the crew that's how mine is going to be. (I do tip every day.) Shouldn't be a difficult phrase to learn in Spanish. "Deseo que váÍvula abra completamente - abra totalmente, ok?" I'm writing that on my dive slate in permanent marker so I can practice it even if the crew may not all read well.
3) Streamline your gear. A backup mask is one thing but switching between masks on the boat well...
Yep, not changing that. I dive the yellow lens on deep dives, nights, low viz, the red lens on shallow dives, often change between dives - but fumbled on which I'd planned for and applied defog too.
4) Try to only introduce one new thing a dive. New BC. Consider a shakedown shore diving refresher on your first day. Chance to get wet, go slow and get the weight and exposure suit right. Use a camera only when you are 100% comfortable with everything else. IMHO, you need to always dive with a good buddy (and never solo).
Yeah, got to the Coz hotel around 9pm the night before, or maybe later. Big day traveling. The new BC was very similar to the one it'd replaced, and I had checked the connections and all well, but would have preferred test dives before. When the NM trip failed, should have heded to the YMCA for a dive - and will more now.

My idea of a good dive buddy is one I have drilled with personally, and that's just not going to happen on many of my trips. Sorry, but I think I'll do better practicing on being a more competent solo diver, even when instant buddies.
5) Is there no way you can reach the valve? Are you mounting the tank too low in the bc? Is the BC or exposure suit too tight? Can you try grabbing ahose and working your hand up?
Someone mentioned above opening the cummerbund (I have a chest strap to keep it in place) to pull the tank over and reach the valve then. Got to try that in the pool soon, as it sounds like a good idea. Need to set that up with my home bud as I want him down with me when I try that, and for him to learn it too. We saw the OOA/1/4 open problem hit his girlfriend on a Belize Blue Hole dive once. We like all the way open, and once he turned me all the way off on a boat before we got in - even tho he turns screw drivers every day (he'll never live that one down - Never!), and that's why, but it would be good for us both to acquire that skill.

Wow Don... I thought all this was behind you! :D

How can you breath your tank to nothing? Don't you have an SPG?

Having a buddy is great, but YOU are responsible for YOUR diving. I've NEVER run out of air... never. It an alien concept to me how you have done this many times over the years.

Remember, righty tighty, lefty, loosey!

Glad you are safe, and obviously you keep a cool head. But you MUST start doing a better job on the boat pre-dive, and you use that pony WAY to often! I dive with a pony on occasion, but I have NEVER used it for anything other than practice.

You have a regular dive buddy and it sounds as if the two of you have a very good routine that you follow for safety and that's great. You just need to remember to go back to square one when not diving with that buddy and follow your very own thorough predive check. A disrupted routine is always an opening for surprises.

...thanks for sharing your experiences in detail, Don! .....even if it's a bit.....um, embarassing...... :) ....if it saves one diver's life in future to learn from your 'mistakes' it will certainly have been worth it! I did find your 'experience # 2' interesting....I can easily see how even an experienced diver might be knocked 'prematurely' into the water (by a rogue wave or another diver falling over into you like dominos on a crowded 6-pack/dive deck) so I picked up another 'pointer' there of yet another way 'Murphy's Law' could rear it's ugly head.

Karl

Just a few comments:

First off, we are all glad to hear that you are alive to post your experiences.

Secondly, please, please, please check your SPG way more frequently.

Lastly, let this be a lesson to others who are lazy spg checkers - it can happen to OOA can happen to "experienced" divers - not just a rookie phenomenon.

I am so paranoid of being OOA I check every 5 minutes - 10 minutes max.......

I just bought a pony - 30 cubic feet - mostly because I am a new Dive Master and will be working with students soon, and will eventually move on to Instructor. The dive shop I work with really likes their Instructors/DMs to carry one.

If I ever have to breath from it myself, it will be as a result of a colossal gear failure or error in judgement. I never want my pony to be an excuse not to follow proper procedures - be on the surface with no less than 500psi.......

I would have to ask myself did I run out of air because I was sloppy, because I was being a cowboy, was I being cavalier because I knew I had a pony?

I would think that if a diver was OOA once that they'd change their ways as to never let it happen again.

Good luck and Stay Safe!:D

The important thing is that DD wasn't hurt and that he has definitely gained from the experience. I think that he just had a bad day, it does happen. Accidents are often a combinaison of many small things that go wrong. I remember reading a story about a fellow who drowned in relatively shallow water because of a whole series of mistakes. First he forget to test his BCD which was not connected. Second mistake, he jumped in the water with his snorkel only to find that his second stage was tangled up and could not be reached. Third mistake, his weightbelt was attached in such a way that he could not release it. I think that he must have been overweighted as well. Now everyone will say "Wow, how could somebody make so many mistakes!" Well he certainly had a bad day and paid for it.

As the owner of a dive centre, I can only say that I have seen all of these mistakes plus lots of others. Fortunately people rarely make so many mistakes at once. Although, I can safely say that many an accident has been avoided by a competent buddy or experienced dive guides.

Its a bit like driving a car. Who has never done something dangerous in a moment of inattention and was just lucky that there was no accident?

The really important thing is to learn from the mistakes as you cannot count on your luck.

If I ever have to breath from it myself, it will be as a result of a colossal gear failure or error in judgement.

Ah the beauty of tempting fate. If you're not familiar with hubris you'll likely be acquainted soon.

We'll be waiting for your post in NM&LL :D

Back
Top Bottom