Ok, so it's time for me to post my Cozumel screw ups...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah the beauty of tempting fate. If you're not familiar with hubris you'll likely be acquainted soon.

We'll be waiting for your post in NM&LL :D

:lol:​

Yeah, sophomoric pride is golden. Too, there is no fool like an old fool.
bud.gif

I pondered over posting my report for several days, well over week after the incidents even tho I had my puter there and pretty good wireless reception even in my room. Mentioned it to my home dive bud and a few others from there with comments about him being a wuss over the planned NM practice dive weekend that he begged off because of a little snow and how we got to stay in better practice of ebay our gear. I considered keep this a private story...
But felt it'd just be too hypocritical of me to participate in these forum discussions without sharing my experiences here;

Even tho I was concerned that some would have just too much fun at my expense here that others might feel intimidated from posting their experiences.​
I guess I did right by posting. Even tho I really try to learn from my own mistakes as well as from those others, this review does help me reinforce the education and there have been a couple of constructive comments. Really want to try that cummerbund maneuver in the pool now. Anyone check my Spanish phrase for viability?

Failing to check my spg often enough really goes down as stupid, I know. Not much to add to that, but I am happy that I swam out of that without panic as I did the other challenges.

Wonder if Google would show me hits of discussions on other boards about this. I know of a couple where they enjoy such about me, but one of those keeps such in PMs and/or private forums.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this DD. I dont know you personally but after reading peoples posts like yours a reader can get a sense of who that person is. It would be demoralizing to read this in the accident thread.
Twice this happened to me this past visit to Coz.
I personally check my valves before donning my tank. When loaded I check both regs against my spg. I check other areas of my kit. Them wait for the call.
Well, these both times, like yours, someone turned my tank valve off. When the call came I did not recheck against the spg, just took a breath. I was at the surface when I could not get air both times. This is madding, fortunately I can reach my valves. For those on the boat lucky I was in the water. Like you said someone turned them 'on' and how I did not notice them touch my tank is beyond me.
DD as I reread your post I got very quiet in my heart about my diving skills and my committment to come home after every dive. I truly appreciate your honesty and care about other divers. I hope to hit that water mark one day.

Don, you and I use the same dive op. I've never had a problem with them doing any of this, mainly because I nicely tell them the first day that I'll take care of it myself. Whenever they try to assist me on the first dive day, I just smile and say, "Thanks, but I've got it. Go ahead and help the chica." or new diver, etc. On the ride to the reef, I keep my hand on top of my tank, which subtly tells them to leave it alone. My gear stays with me at all times, just to avoid these kinds of situations.

I don't fault the DM's for trying to do their jobs, I just don't need the help, so I give them more time to help the ones that do. I even go so far as to just hand my fins up and wear my rigging back up the ladder and change my own tank, just for my own peace of mind.

As I said, do it nicely, with a smile on your face, and they have no problem whatsoever letting you do your own thing.

BTW, I still tip the same amount, mainly cause they're a great bunch of guys and fun to be around.

Just 2 thoughts to add, one of which might not be relevent. I find the DMs at Blue Angel to speak English very well. I don't think you need Spanish translations to communicate your desire to turn on your own tanks....you won't be the first customer to do so.

Second, you mentioned about clawing your way out from under the boat. Not sure if you went in the water with air in your BC. I've stopped doing so after twice ending up right under the boat after my backroll in.

Just 2 thoughts to add, one of which might not be relevent. I find the DMs at Blue Angel to speak English very well. I don't think you need Spanish translations to communicate your desire to turn on your own tanks....you won't be the first customer to do so.
Yep, but not so much the skippers - and they seem to vary somewhat. It was a captain who messed with mine, and not a regular I don't think - in fact, I think it was a rental boat. I did try to converse with him about my valve afterward and he just turned away; not sure what that meant.

At any rate, I'd like to know if that phrased would work okay in Spanish speaking countries. Wouldn't hurt if it's a clear one.
Second, you mentioned about clawing your way out from under the boat. Not sure if you went in the water with air in your BC. I've stopped doing so after twice ending up right under the boat after my backroll in.
Maybe so.

Hey DandyDon:

First, you write well! :) Now, you have a lot of courage to put your misfortunes on a public forum, where some may tear it to shreds and all of that. But, thank you for that as well. With that said, I will spare you the gas management and dive planning lecture that I have nearly become obsessed with as I have seen and read the consequences of not doing so. But, I am weird like that.:D

People are sometimes too proud to voice their mistakes or misfortunes, and personally, I'd rather learn from someone else's than my own! But if something can be said, when we make the mistakes, rarely do we make them again. So maybe your next trip will be more squared away, after reading everyone's and your after action reviews. And I don't think that viewing that SPG will be such a foreign venture on future dives, if anything because you've been burned by it so many times in a short period.

Have fun in your future and safe dives. I know you will and you will have them!

With kindest regards from North Carolina,
Thomas

Sounds like you had "ONE OF THOSE DAYS" Glad you're still with us :) My Spanish is a bit rusty but I'd just say "Por favor, No toque nada de mio". Others will offer much better phrasing and grammar but loosley it says "don't touch anyhing of mine" (Loosely is the most important word ).

Yep, but not so much the skippers--and they seem to vary somewhat. It was a captain who messed with mine, and not a regular I don't think--in fact, I think it was a rental boat. I did try to converse with him about my valve afterward and he just turned away; not sure what that meant.

At any rate, I'd like to know if that phrase would work okay in Spanish-speaking countries. Wouldn't hurt if it's a clear one.
How about "Prefiero que mi váÍvula queda completamente abierta."

But kudos on the original post. That took guts.

-Bryan

Babelfish is your friend. Yahoo! Babel Fish - Text Translation and Web Page Translation

No toque mi equipo, por favor.
I actually tried Bablefish and a few others to get the phrased I stated above, as well as become uncomfortable with online translations. When I take your phrase and run it back thru Bablefish to English: "It does not touch my equipment, please." Close but no cigar.
Sounds like you had "ONE OF THOSE DAYS" Glad you're still with us :) My Spanish is a bit rusty but I'd just say "Por favor, No toque nada de mio". Others will offer much better phrasing and grammar but loosley it says "don't touch anyhing of mine" (Loosely is the most important word ).
Yours translates back as "" Please, it does not touch anything of mio"" Mio? Again with it?
How about "Prefiero que mi váÍvula queda completamente abierta."

But kudos on the original post. That took guts.

-Bryan
Babelfish gives that back as "I prefer that my váÍvula is completely open." Closer. Why is it that Babelfish cannot translate valve to Spanish and back? I know that some words and phrases just do not go both ways.

I'm overdo for a periodic doctor visit, and my doc is from Mexico. I'll ask his help.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom