Ok, so it's time for me to post my Cozumel screw ups...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a camera lanyard that has a "shortener" essentially a pressure clip like on a BCD closure. You unclip it and it allows you about 3 feet (after it stretchs the coil out) then you clip it back when you need both hands (so it doesn't trail behind you by 3 feet), I got it after I lost my camera in Lake Lanier for about 8 weeks...

Sounds like you had "ONE OF THOSE DAYS" Glad you're still with us :) My Spanish is a bit rusty but I'd just say "Por favor, No toque nada de mio". Others will offer much better phrasing and grammar but loosley it says "don't touch anyhing of mine" (Loosely is the most important word ).

Yours translates back as "" Please, it does not touch anything of mio"" Mio? Again with it?

How about pointing at your gear and changing that sentence up a bit to say: No toque nada, Por favor?

Then break out your BFK, wave it at them and shout No toque nada! No toque nada! :D

Sounds like you need a refresher course. In God we trust. Everything else we check.
Haha, sounds like it, huh? Except in this case nah - got all the training, experience, and learning from discussions here to know better. Mostly it was poor attitude. Remembering the suggestions here, then having a good talk with myself about taking this as seriously as deserved before next time will do more I think.
I got a camera lanyard that has a "shortener" essentially a pressure clip like on a BCD closure. You unclip it and it allows you about 3 feet (after it stretchs the coil out) then you clip it back when you need both hands (so it doesn't trail behind you by 3 feet), I got it after I lost my camera in Lake Lanier for about 8 weeks...
I think leaving my camera in the boat at first would be best, as they are such distractions - make sure I have my act together in the water, then take it for the second dive - or whenever I do. The last thing I need is more gear, but then I don't mind allowing my camera to hang on my short lanyard. It's well insured with State Farm, no deductible - so well that it's tempting to allow a loss so I can use the money to upgrade. :eyebrow: I wouldn't do that, but I won't let loosing it worry me.
How about pointing at your gear and changing that sentence up a bit to say: No toque nada, Por favor?

Then break out your BFK, wave it at them and shout No toque nada! No toque nada! :D
I'll add that to the list, but really - as nice as the DMs are. as well as they speak English, and as touch as the non-English speaking egos can be at times, maybe safer to have a discussion with the DM and let him explain to the captain: "Don't screw with his air, all the way on - he tips well."

Wow Don... I thought all this was behind you! :D

How can you breath your tank to nothing? Don't you have an SPG?

Having a buddy is great, but YOU are responsible for YOUR diving. I've NEVER run out of air... never. It an alien concept to me how you have done this many times over the years.

Remember, righty tighty, lefty, loosey!

Glad you are safe, and obviously you keep a cool head. But you MUST start doing a better job on the boat pre-dive, and you use that pony WAY to often! I dive with a pony on occasion, but I have NEVER used it for anything other than practice.

Don,

I've never followed enough of your exploits to know how many times you've run out of air through the years like Ron stated. What I do know, is that for as long as I've seen you active on the board and making trips to Mexico this shouldnt be happening.

I agree with Ron's concept that YOU are responsible for your diving (not that I see you blaming someone else) and that you've spent enough time around here to know this isn't safe diving practices.

I have to think that you've got too much of a dependance on your pony bottle. It seems as if you regard it as a crutch and knowing that you have a redundant source of air allows you to be a little more sloppy in your pre-dive checks than you should be.

The last thing I do before I get in the water is to grab my gauge and look at it while taking a few normal breaths from each reg and then inflate my wing a bit. Doing so I have found a valve off/partially closed once or twice before descending, but I have NEVER gotten in the water and been unable to breathe.

Dive smart, dive safe.

I'll add that to the list, but really - as nice as the DMs are. as well as they speak English, and as touch as the non-English speaking egos can be at times, maybe safer to have a discussion with the DM and let him explain to the captain: "Don't screw with his air, all the way on - he tips well."

I was kidding about the BFK part. Well, kinda... :D

It happened to me once before, differently. Didn't panic then either, but it was dumb and unneeded. Agree the rest.

It happened to me once before, differently. Didn't panic then either, but it was dumb and unneeded. Agree the rest.

On the plus side, the fact that you've had it happen a couple of times and didnt panic will likely reinforce that you WONT panic if you had a real OOA emergency. Your response will be more like "Oh, I've done this before, I know what do" instead of "HOLY **** now what!?!?"

I use this one, it's cheap insurance....

Quick Release Lanyard

Yep, thats it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom