Ok I'm biting the bullet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tyme,
My 2 cents. Bravo for the desire. No matter what the doctor may tell you, it could pay to ask about alternatives if the news is not good or even great. I wish you the best of luck in getting and staying in shape. Take it slow and rememebr, results do not happen overnight.
I can not advise you on what gear to look for or even try. I can say that as I approach 50, I am so glad that I can say; done that! I believe the body maintenance when you get to be my age is not as bad as it is advertised. Sure things creak, snap and twist in funny directions, but the conditioning I did 20 years ago is paying dividends now.
Howard

Good for you, BulletBiter! I would add 2 things. 1. Nitrogen is more soluable in fat than in muscle, according to NAUI Nitrox training manual. The more you can do to reduce your body fat, the safer you will be. 2. Body for Life. Check them out on line. Read the book. DO a challenge. Do another. Diving is the reward for lots of hard work. GLY
Cheers,
Curt

HI Howard,

Truer words were never spoken. I'm confident that my doctor will give me the go ahead. But I will not proceed until i'm 100% sure.

Thank you for your kind words, and as I have said to many of my new friends on this forum, I am simply amazed at how encouraging and supportive everyone has been.

I will stay focused with my goals, and my reality turns out to be that I cannot or should not pursue becoming certified, then I'll find other ways to support my passion for the ocean.

I agree with what you said, what I do now will only help me in the future regardless of whether or not I become a diver. I will stick with it!

Thank you so much,
Tyme

philmottrek99and02:
Tyme,
My 2 cents. Bravo for the desire. No matter what the doctor may tell you, it could pay to ask about alternatives if the news is not good or even great. I wish you the best of luck in getting and staying in shape. Take it slow and rememebr, results do not happen overnight.
I can not advise you on what gear to look for or even try. I can say that as I approach 50, I am so glad that I can say; done that! I believe the body maintenance when you get to be my age is not as bad as it is advertised. Sure things creak, snap and twist in funny directions, but the conditioning I did 20 years ago is paying dividends now.
Howard

Curt,
Thanks for the chuckle on the "BulletBiter". It's great!

I will definitely look into Body for Life. I want the rewards that you're talking about! FOR SURE!! I never give up, especially for the things that are most important to me. Fullfilling this goal will be one of my largest accomplishments!

Thank you for the encouraging words,
Tyme

you go girl.....! Looking forward to seeing around the reef.. Don't be discouraged by thoughts of very shapely divers on the boat. I'm a divemaster out of West Palm Beach and I'm here to tell you, hard bodies on the boat are few and way to far apart. Most divers I see don't look as healthy as you sound.

Send me a pm if I can be of any help.

I definitely don't want to live the rest of my life filled with "What if's". I'm going for it. I'm confident that my doc will give me a thumbs up. Thanks for the encouragement Queen.

Queen:
Ditto THAT!! :thumb:

If your doc gives you a clean bill of health then go for it! As you said, life is too short...you don't want to 50, 60 + and wishing you'd done it.

I've dove with lots of folks who are large but fit. As I've said in other threads i've also been diving with people who are slim but in terrible shape. The Doc gave you great advice when he said to talk to your own doctor but don't worry about how you look on a dive boat. Wait until you see there most handsome guy or beautiful woman surface with a bunch of snot hanging out! It was mentioned that hard bodies are few and far between on dive boats, not to mention most beaches, and after your first dive you'll see that everyone is more interested in talking about the dive than where they work out.
From a not so hard body myself, Dennis. :D

For OW, and AOW were overwight.

My female AOW instructor was not big big, but the guy was likely 5'9" or so and pushing 300lbs.

They both dive like fish.

Don't let your weight stop you from doing the things you want to. If you are overall healthy, I'd definately try diving. Of course you will not know if you really like to dive, and are comfortable UW until you try.

Dennis, Thank you for putting a huge smile on my face! It's nice to know that people are more concerned with better things then the appearance of others.

Everyone has been incredibly helpful and supportive. I can't wait to start diving, so I too can share my experiences. Right now, i'm living vicariously through all of you.

Thanks again,
Tyme

Diver Dennis:
I've dove with lots of folks who are large but fit. As I've said in other threads i've also been diving with people who are slim but in terrible shape. The Doc gave you great advice when he said to talk to your own doctor but don't worry about how you look on a dive boat. Wait until you see there most handsome guy or beautiful woman surface with a bunch of snot hanging out! It was mentioned that hard bodies are few and far between on dive boats, not to mention most beaches, and after your first dive you'll see that everyone is more interested in talking about the dive than where they work out.
From a not so hard body myself, Dennis. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom