OK DUI Owners what do you think ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowtieman427

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am ready to get a drysuit just sick of freezing at depth here in MN. I was looking at the TLS350 or CLX450 then looking on the DUI website noticed the TLSse and CLXse seireis. I like the CLXse and TLSse from a cost perspective they are about $400 less then perspctive numbered series.
Is the CLX series really that more durable then TLS series ?
Are the numbered series 350 450 really worth the extra $400 vs non numberd se. Is the quality the same ?

Dive cold lakes in MN will be doing some wrek dives, ice dives and I do not dive alone. May want to get with the public safety diving people in my county as well.

Quality is exactly the same. The difference between the SEs and the "numbered" is a matter of design and fit. The SEs are shoulder entry, and more or less require someone to zip you in and out of the suit and tend toward a baggier fit. The "numbered" series are designed to be self donning, and the telescoping torso allows for a snugger fit.

My wife has a CLXse and really likes it. She ordered it with zipseals and rock boots. I think the suspenders come with that suit but I'm not sure. DUI customer service was very friendly and helpful, the suit was delivered in about 3 weeks once we placed the order.

If possible, I would suggest you try on a self-donning suit before you buy if you are leaning in that direction. Reason I say this is that it's a bit of a PITA to get out of my self-donning suit. Even if you get a signature series, the drysuit zipper comes in standard length only. If you have stubby limbs like me, it's a PITA to get the right arm free. I've since learned how to deal with it and can get in and out of it easier. It's still a bit of a straightjacket experience for me though.

I own the CLX 450 and would highly recommend it. I would stay away from the shoulder entry for the fact that you need your buddy to zip you in constantly. I would rather zip myself, and then have a buddy double check me, if I feel I couldn't get it the first time.

The CLX 450 comes with Cordura on top and is just a sharp looking suit. I literally am approached by other drysuit divers and asked if that's the CLX 450 suit.

It's that sharp and people are always complimenting the look. It also is very durable and has a robust feel. It's made for wreck diving and caves, I have only used it in Monterey and Carmel where the bottom is usually very rocky and tons of abrasive sand.

If your looking for a suit that will last I recommend the CLX 450. While tough it is also very easy to move around from the inside, I can don/doff by myself. I have zip zeals and use two different types of gloves; compressed neoprene for cold waters and SI Tech rings for surface interval comfort.

MG

I've got 300+ dives on a TLS-350 and love it. Most/all of my dives on this suit are in caves and wrecks, with no lack of durability in evidence. Needing a buddy to zip you into an SE is not a problem, but the telescoping torso in the 350 is important and probably worth the price difference in and of itself.

I like the fact that the TLS is lighter weight and dries much faster than the CLX, as I travel a fair bit with my suit.

???

Most rear zips fit BETTER than self-entries, that's WHY they don't require the telescoping torso. That said, a rear zip does reduce mobility (e.g. for valve access). It need not be a huge deal, but there's almost always some effect of having a heavy duty zipper across your shoulders. The rear zipper can also negatively affect dump valve placement.

In any case, I own both a SE and RE suit. I mostly dive the RE Bare as the SE DUI TLS is a POS (won't stay dry).

Quality is exactly the same. The difference between the SEs and the "numbered" is a matter of design and fit. The SEs are shoulder entry, and more or less require someone to zip you in and out of the suit and tend toward a baggier fit. The "numbered" series are designed to be self donning, and the telescoping torso allows for a snugger fit.

Nice thread. Thanks guys. I'm in the market for a drysuit and am considering DUI or a DiveRite 905.

I love my signature TLS when diving in Monterey.

If you can afford the custom fit, go for it. In my dry suit training class, I had to work very hard to force the air to my feet to practice getting out of an inverted position.

I'm not so thrilled with their underwear. I prefer thinner underwear. Fortunately, it's not an issue.

I'd like to add one more thing about DUI. They have excellent customer service. You will be quite pleased to have them back up the suits they sell. I have had mine go back several times for add on's with just stellar support and quality work.

I am a very happy, satisfied and proud owner of my CLX 450. It is a very heavy suit but I had no problem flying it to Florida even though I didn't dive it, I wore a simple wetsuit.

I purchased a drysuit dryer for my suit and my suit drys in hours not days... Just $34.99 for the hanger and it's just fantastic.

I have some videos of me in the suit that you are welcomed to view if you like, I post them public and have close to 20 videos, most are of Monterey and Carmel with just a couple from Boynton Beach and Blue Heron Bridge Florida.

The suit underwater just screams for attention, I'm just an average Joe diver that appears more cool than he really is, thanks to the CLX 450,,,, LOL...

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom