FIJI-what do you wish you knew before you left?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going in just over 2 weeks. We couldn't avoid flying to a separate island because Voli Voli was booked. We are going to Taveuini the first 10 days I think and then to Waidroka. I am stressing about the carry on. It is so crazy that the luggage allowance into the country is 23 KG, but then as soon as you get t the domestic flight, it decreases to 15kg. So if you pay for an extra 15 KG, you get 7kg you can't use. and you are limited to 7k on the carry on. I am wondering how I will manage my camera gear and laptop which even if I were foolish enough to check, have batteries, besides being super valuable, delicate and heavy. If I bring a wheelie bag for my carry on to drag through the Miami and LAX enormous airports, then I have an extra 73 suitcase wasting weight. I am spinning in circles. What has been everyone's experience and how did you manage about heavy, expensive, delicate camera and computer gear with batteries? ---You cant check it and you can't carry it on and its the only reason I am going!--- Serious dilemma.
If you booked the whole itinerary on one ticket, your checked luggage would go all the way to Taveuni. If it's separate, you'd have to pick it up and walk over to the domestic terminal.

I don't have a big camera setup, so I can't help there. I would advise, though, to prepay for the extra weight. If you wait till you get to the airport, you'll likely be gouged.

They are very strict about carry-on weight. You could wear your BCD and stuff the pockets with gear. Assuming you're flying on Fiji Air, the website has a list of items that doesn't count towards carryon, like a garment bag.

The domestic flight is a tiny plane, which is why you have the low weight limits. All the luggage goes into the nose and butt of the plane.

It's true, there's no tipping in FIji. A 3% credit card fee is normal if you pay your resort charges that way. Otherwise, FJD is accepted. Taveuni is remote, so internet connectivity is spotty when trying to connect to a bank for payment. Get cash at the ATM in the airport.

Have a great trip! I loved diving there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom