Oh no! I have become ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't mention budget or if you will be traveling alone or with a buddy or with non-diving companions - and those factors may change recommendations for dive destinations.

In the Caribbean, we like the Cayman Islands, especially the sister islands of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman - with Little Cayman having the best diving IMO. But Brac is a charming place with excellent diving, and Grand Cayman also has very good diving, especially the North Wall and the East End. GC also has many topside attractions and the Seven Mile Beach, if you are traveling with non-diving companions.

I don't know how distant you are from Toronto; but the last time we were on Little Cayman we met a Canadian couple and they told us that they could fly direct from Toronto to Grand Cayman (Air Canada, I think) and then take the half hour flight over to LC on Cayman Air.

If you want to do a lot of dives at the best locations then you should consider trying a liveaboard - unless you are travel with non-diving family or friends. Some Caribbean liveaboard destinations that you might want to try for excellent diving include Turks and Caicos, Belize, and the Cayman Islands.

Saba and St. Kitts also have good liveaboard diving on the Explorer and those trips are usually cheaper than some of the other Caribbean liveaboards.

Another land-based Caribbean destination to consider is St. Croix, decent diving and the opportunity to shore dive the Fredricksted Pier is very special. Dominica is charming and the diving is unique, lots of frogfish and seahorses and other rare creatures - but it can be difficult to get there.

Bonaire and Curacao are popular shore diving destinations although boat diving is also readily available. The diving freedom culture of Bonaire is unique and something that you should consider experiencing.

Moving away from the Caribbean, no one has mentioned Hawaii but I think it is worth consideration. The diving is different from many tropical locations, mostly hard corals but with lots of fish life. We did a liveaboard trip around the Big Island with the Aggressor and it was a great trip, and night-diving with Mantas off Kona was a very memorable experience.

The Sea of Cortez and Baja are another destination to consider, especially liveaboard diving.

It's a big world with lots of great destination diving opportunities, have fun!

This is a great write up. I've dove most of these spots and you are spot on.

Please tell me more about your experience in the sea of Cortez and Baja. I'm in arizona and this is close.

Also can you recommend a live aboard company for the caymans? This will be my first liveaboard experience. I am a single diver traveling alone and no real budget. I would probably get the nicest accommodations on the ship.

Thanks
Jeff

This is a great write up. I've dove most of these spots and you are spot on.

Please tell me more about your experience in the sea of Cortez and Baja. I'm in arizona and this is close.

Also can you recommend a live aboard company for the caymans? This will be my first liveaboard experience. I am a single diver traveling alone and no real budget. I would probably get the nicest accommodations on the ship. Thanks
Jeff

Thanks! I have never done land-based diving in Baja and my only liveaboard experience was the Roccio Del Mar to dive Baja from Cabo. It was a great trip, a little colder and rougher than some Caribbean destinations and it is all drift diving from panga boats (inflatables). We went in the fall and the water was pretty warm. You deploy your safety sausage when you come up and they will come and get you. There are lots of fun things to do in Cabo and it is easy to get there. The diving is different from the Caribbean, including chances to see different fish and animals and diving with sea lions. More sharks and big animals in general. It is not uncommon to see whale sharks in that area but we weren't that lucky. It's been quite awhile since we were there so perhaps someone has more recent experience and other options.

The Cayman Aggressor is the only liveaboard that serves the Caymans and we did a fantastic trip with them. It
is a great option if you want to do a lot of diving in the Caymans. Most of the sites you dive are available from land-based operations but you get to dive the best sites off of all 3 islands. We had perfect weather and spent most of the time on the Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson's Bight off Little Cayman. It is a beautiful and comfortable boat with great staff and the food was excellent and abundant when we were there. You arrive and depart from Grand Cayman and you might want to spend a few days enjoying GC because there is a lot to see and do.

One potential drawback to the liveaboard is weather-dependent. If the weather is bad the boat will not make the crossing from Grand Cayman to the sister islands. So you will be stuck on a boat in bad weather diving mooring sites off of GC that will accommodate such a large boat.

They make the crossing most of the time and it is a deep-water crossing and I got very seasick the first night, but I was okay the next day. The water in the Caymans (and T&Cs, and Bahamas) are colder in the winter months (mid to upper 70s in Cayman). @drrich2 recently did a great report on his Cayman Aggressor trip so look for it for more information.

When we do land-based diving in Cayman we usually go to the Little Cayman Beach Resort or the Cayman Brac Beach Resort which are small, diver-dedicated, all-inclusive resorts. Scuba Board is running a trip to CBBR that leaves on Saturday!

Last edited:
You don't mention budget or if you will be traveling alone or with a buddy or with non-diving companions - and those factors may change recommendations for dive destinations.

In the Caribbean, we like the Cayman Islands, especially the sister islands of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman - with Little Cayman having the best diving IMO. But Brac is a charming place with excellent diving, and Grand Cayman also has very good diving, especially the North Wall and the East End. GC also has many topside attractions and the Seven Mile Beach, if you are traveling with non-diving companions.

I don't know how distant you are from Toronto; but the last time we were on Little Cayman we met a Canadian couple and they told us that they could fly direct from Toronto to Grand Cayman (Air Canada, I think) and then take the half hour flight over to LC on Cayman Air.

If you want to do a lot of dives at the best locations then you should consider trying a liveaboard - unless you are travel with non-diving family or friends. Some Caribbean liveaboard destinations that you might want to try for excellent diving include Turks and Caicos, Belize, and the Cayman Islands.

Saba and St. Kitts also have good liveaboard diving on the Explorer and those trips are usually cheaper than some of the other Caribbean liveaboards.

Another land-based Caribbean destination to consider is St. Croix, decent diving and the opportunity to shore dive the Fredricksted Pier is very special. Dominica is charming and the diving is unique, lots of frogfish and seahorses and other rare creatures - but it can be difficult to get there.

Bonaire and Curacao are popular shore diving destinations although boat diving is also readily available. The diving freedom culture of Bonaire is unique and something that you should consider experiencing.

Moving away from the Caribbean, no one has mentioned Hawaii but I think it is worth consideration. The diving is different from many tropical locations, mostly hard corals but with lots of fish life. We did a liveaboard trip around the Big Island with the Aggressor and it was a great trip, and night-diving with Mantas off Kona was a very memorable experience.

The Sea of Cortez and Baja are another destination to consider, especially liveaboard diving.

It's a big world with lots of great destination diving opportunities, have fun!

Right now, I travel alone. I do not have a big budget, but it is growing. When I finally make it to the GBR, I will be doing a liveaboard.

I have been to Hawaii.

I flew out of Toronto for my Mexican vacation. It is the nearest airport to me.

My trip report from a 2016 Caymans Aggressor IV trip. Had a great time; really enjoyed the diving and the crew.

It's not the cheapest, though. Go to this Aggressor specials page and note:

Happy New Year from Aggressor Fleet

Welcome the New Year with $500 off 2017 charters.

• For NEW reservations made Dec 29, 2016 -Jan 15, 2017.
• Deposits must be received no later than Jan 15, 2017.
• Travel must be completed by Dec 31, 2017.
• Reservations may be booked through your favorite travel agent.
• Money Saving specials & other promotions do not apply.
• Includes Cuba Travel Program I and II.

I went for the cheapest accommodations.

Richard.

Thanks! I have never done land-based diving in Baja and my only liveaboard experience was the Roccio Del Mar to dive Baja from Cabo. It was a great trip, a little colder and rougher than some Caribbean destinations and it is all drift diving from panga boats (inflatables). We went in the fall and the water was pretty warm. You deploy your safety sausage when you come up and they will come and get you. There are lots of fun things to do in Cabo and it is easy to get there. The diving is different from the Caribbean, including chances to see different fish and animals and diving with sea lions. More sharks and big animals in general. It is not uncommon to see whale sharks in that area but we weren't that lucky. It's been quite awhile since we were there so perhaps someone has more recent experience and other options.

The Cayman Aggressor is the only liveaboard that serves the Caymans and we did a fantastic trip with them. It
is a great option if you want to do a lot of diving in the Caymans. Most of the sites you dive are available from land-based operations but you get to dive the best sites off of all 3 islands. We had perfect weather and spent most of the time on the Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson's Bight off Little Cayman. It is a beautiful and comfortable boat with great staff and the food was excellent and abundant when we were there. You arrive and depart from Grand Cayman and you might want to spend a few days enjoying GC because there is a lot to see and do.

One potential drawback to the liveaboard is weather-dependent. If the weather is bad the boat will not make the crossing from Grand Cayman to the sister islands. So you will be stuck on a boat in bad weather diving mooring sites off of GC that will accommodate such a large boat.

They make the crossing most of the time and it is a deep-water crossing and I got very seasick the first night, but I was okay the next day. The water in the Caymans (and T&Cs, and Bahamas) are colder in the winter months (mid to upper 70s in Cayman). @drrich2 recently did a great report on his Cayman Aggressor trip so look for it for more information.

When we do land-based diving in Cayman we usually go to the Little Cayman Beach Resort or the Cayman Brac Beach Resort which are small, diver-dedicated, all-inclusive resorts. Scuba Board is running a trip to CBBR that leaves on Saturday!
Thanks. I dove Cabo years ago. Because I live nearby in Phoenix AZ it's so close not to give it a try. I found Cabo to be a great place for beach. Drinks. And sport fishing but not so much for scuba.

I now know about San Carlos and people tell me it's a pleasant drive from Phoenix and during the summer months he weather and water is a good temp and you get to swim with sea lions. They are very playful with divers. I'll check it out this summer. The nearby dive shop has a sister shop there and it's a seamless transition as I'm told. Many dive shops in the Phoenix area take bus rides there or car caravans so it's a nice group trip.

Shifting questions/thoughts.

What about a live aboard in Cayman Islands. Is there a guaranteed time of the year to not get bad seas and good chance of diving the outer islands?

What is the sure thing? Live aboard during a specific month or dive off land in little cayman?

I'll be in St. Croix this June. So I'd like to see about making another dive trip this year. I plan on being in Puerto Rico this December 2017. Maybe some diving that trip. Anyone have a dive shop they like in Puerto Rico?

As always. Thanks

Jeff

Kathy V. Thanks for the info. I just looked up the rocio Del Mar. I just drove to Rocky Point for New Years Eve. It's only a 4 hour drive from my home. And now I know about a liveaboard. This is great. I could drive down on a Saturday and return on a Saturday. I can't wait to check them out.

Thanks again.

Jeff

Kathy V. Thanks for the info. I just looked up the rocio Del Mar. I just drove to Rocky Point for New Years Eve. It's only a 4 hour drive from my home. And now I know about a liveaboard. This is great. I could drive down on a Saturday and return on a Saturday. I can't wait to check them out.Thanks again. Jeff

Great, I think you will have a good trip, but keep in mind that we only did their Baja itinerary. They run other trips to Socorro Island, etc. and it was quite some time ago, so talk to someone that has dived with them more recently. Have fun!

swimmer_spe, great post. Since Colorado is not known for its destination dive spots, I'm a destination diver by default. Some really good recommendations have been provided and I intend to look into many of these suggestions. Thanks to all.

We are a destination dive. You are fortunate to live and dive in the land of the Mudpuppy and Musky. Find one of these and you'll know why I still enjoy diving around the Great Lakes. Throw in the Stink Pots and Snappers and it usually ends up being a dive that rivals the best. Plus we aren't far from Gilboa Quarry. I hate to admit it, it's fun and worth the drive.

When it gets too cold, go to Brac.

Cheers

We are a destination dive. You are fortunate to live and dive in the land of the Mudpuppy and Musky. Find one of these and you'll know why I still enjoy diving around the Great Lakes. Throw in the Stink Pots and Snappers and it usually ends up being a dive that rivals the best. Plus we aren't far from Gilboa Quarry. I hate to admit it, it's fun and worth the drive.

When it gets too cold, go to Brac.

Cheers

I have no idea what those are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom