Oh no! I have become ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
... a destination diver.

2 years ago, I moved inland. I am surounded by little lakes that have some life above 30 feet, but below there, it i desert. No life, no real cool geological features.

I have just come back from my first All Inclusive trip to Mexico where I dove the Cenotes. It made me realize that I am now a destination diver.

I currently have a short list:
Great Barrier Reef
Cozumel
the lake in Iceland where you can dive between the Eurasian and North American plate.
Tobermory.

So, where is a top Dive destination for you?

I know what you mean - diving at home vis is about 5-8m, diving in the Red Sea was about 50-80m with the temperature being about 20+C warmer. Made diving hugely different.

Sudbury isn't too far from Lake Huron though - some good diving there from what I have read

My short list (which might get some ticked of it this year):
Silfra (the crack in Iceland you refer to)
Scapa Flow - trip planned by the dive store but need to stump up some cash for it.
GBR - might wait a few years until it has recovered a bit
Florida - would be nice to combine a trip there with some diving.
Mediterranean - lots of places to dive there

This being on top of the local diving though - Scotland has some tremendous diving opportunities for those prepared for them -Farne Islands seals being a great one, snorkelling with whale sharks off Oban, lots of lochs to dive.

I know what you mean - diving at home vis is about 5-8m, diving in the Red Sea was about 50-80m with the temperature being about 20+C warmer. Made diving hugely different.

Sudbury isn't too far from Lake Huron though - some good diving there from what I have read

My short list (which might get some ticked of it this year):
Silfra (the crack in Iceland you refer to)
Scapa Flow - trip planned by the dive store but need to stump up some cash for it.
GBR - might wait a few years until it has recovered a bit
Florida - would be nice to combine a trip there with some diving.
Mediterranean - lots of places to dive there

This being on top of the local diving though - Scotland has some tremendous diving opportunities for those prepared for them -Farne Islands seals being a great one, snorkelling with whale sharks off Oban, lots of lochs to dive.
Not forgetting flights to the far east are quite attractive. Looking at the Philippines for under £1k.

Not forgetting flights to the far east are quite attractive. Looking at the Philippines for under £1k.
Wish you hadn't said that - I am now off to google trips to the Far east....

I used to live in North Bay, so I am very familiar with the logistics of getting in & out of Sudbury.

With that in mind, trips that you might want to consider:
Both "scAir Canada" and WestJet offer non-stops to Nassau, Bahamas and Provo, TCI. With that in mind, either ground based or live aboards out of those locations (I can personally recommend either the Aquacat in Nassau or the Turks & Caico Explorer as great boats.) are relatively easy to do. From Provo, you could also hop on a "puddle jumper" over to Grand Turk, and there is a great little hotel that caters primarily to divers (Bohio) run by a couple of Canadians that is a great option (especially if you show up with some Timmies).

A top dive destination for me is the GBR--that is, the part of it that allows shell-collecting. May get there someday when finances approve. Now, my "top" spot is the FL panhandle as snowbirds. Good luck up there trying to dive around that Giant Nickel (*from a former Thompsonite).

Home diving is a quarry, but Lake Michigan is in my backyard. I'm a Michigan native with a longstanding passion for Great Lakes shipwrecks. My only diving goals are on the Great Lakes. Tropical flora and fauna hold very little interest for me. I'm going on a 3-day trip in the summer to dive wrecks in the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary off Alpena, MI, in Lake Huron (I lived in Alpena for a time 25 years ago). I'll be diving wrecks on Lake Michigan this summer, too.

My winter is being filled with a lot of reading and research on Great Lakes wrecks.

My list would include;
Lembeh Straight, Indonesia
Donsol, Philippines Whale sharks
Cebu, Philippines
Silfra, Iceland
I also like the idea of submerged ruins so Mediterranean and Qiandio Lake china.

Back
Top Bottom