Oh no! I have become ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only been diving locally once, because I don't like cold and generally v. poor visibility, and don't have a dry suit (yet?).

We've had a great diving year, resort-based Raja Ampat and a few day trips in Komodo, and just came back from a few weeks on Bonaire, which has been an almost every year destination since we have family there. Year before that was Bonaire, GBR and Ningaloo.

Things on the list:
- More Indo - Wakatobi, Raja Ampat including Misool, Komodo via live aboard
- Maldives
- Malaysia
- Philippines
- PNG
- Sardine Run in South Africa
- Antarctica (if/when I get a dry suit)

You live near one of the best wreck diving spots in the World! I know there isn't a ton of life, but divers spend a lot of money to travel to Tobermory.

You live near one of the best wreck diving spots in the World! I know there isn't a ton of life, but divers spend a lot of money to travel to Tobermory.

It is on my list of places to dive. Will likely do it within the next few months.

It is on my list of places to dive. Will likely do it within the next few months.

If you don't like cold water, Tobermory is perhaps not the place to visit in the "next few months"! I was in last weekend and the water was a frisky 3°C. I'd give it until July or August anyway... ;-)

Photo by the Bruce Peninsula Press. Apparently they thought my little solo excursion was newsworthy...

Me Tugs Platform cropped.jpg

If you don't like cold water, Tobermory is perhaps not the place to visit in the "next few months"! I was in last weekend and the water was a frisky 3°C. I'd give until July or August anyway... ;-)

Photo by the Bruce Peninsula Press. Apparently they thought my little solo excursion was newsworthy...

View attachment 389369

I have all the gear for cold water.

Closer to your home, there is a fantastic wreck in the North Channel, called the Northwind. It's arguably the best wreck in Ontario...

... a destination diver...So, where is a top Dive destination for you?

You don't mention budget or if you will be traveling alone or with a buddy or with non-diving companions - and those factors may change recommendations for dive destinations.

In the Caribbean, we like the Cayman Islands, especially the sister islands of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman - with Little Cayman having the best diving IMO. But Brac is a charming place with excellent diving, and Grand Cayman also has very good diving, especially the North Wall and the East End. GC also has many topside attractions and the Seven Mile Beach, if you are traveling with non-diving companions.

I don't know how distant you are from Toronto; but the last time we were on Little Cayman we met a Canadian couple and they told us that they could fly direct from Toronto to Grand Cayman (Air Canada, I think) and then take the half hour flight over to LC on Cayman Air.

If you want to do a lot of dives at the best locations then you should consider trying a liveaboard - unless you are travel with non-diving family or friends. Some Caribbean liveaboard destinations that you might want to try for excellent diving include Turks and Caicos, Belize, and the Cayman Islands.

Saba and St. Kitts also have good liveaboard diving on the Explorer and those trips are usually cheaper than some of the other Caribbean liveaboards. There are also some liveaboards in the Bahamas.

Another land-based Caribbean destination to consider is St. Croix, decent diving and the opportunity to shore dive the Fredricksted Pier is very special. Dominica is charming and the diving is unique, lots of frogfish and seahorses and other rare creatures - but it can be difficult to get there.

Bonaire and Curacao are popular shore diving destinations although boat diving is also readily available. The diving freedom culture of Bonaire is unique and something that you should consider experiencing.

Moving away from the Caribbean, no one has mentioned Hawaii but I think it is worth consideration. The diving is different from many tropical locations, mostly hard corals but with lots of fish life. We did a liveaboard trip around the Big Island with the Aggressor and it was a great trip, and night-diving with Mantas off Kona was a very memorable experience.

The Sea of Cortez and Baja are another destination to consider, especially liveaboard diving.

It's a big world with lots of great destination diving opportunities, have fun!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom