Offshore drilling bill passes house - CONTACT YOUR SENATORS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving on an oil rig is actually pretty neat. I suggest y'all try it. They tend to be FULL of flora and fauna. The rigs are also where the sport fishermen take their clients. These things are FAR from floating superfund sites.

dlndavid:
Many people do care about MPG, and buy accordingly. Those that don't care, don't care. Can you make them? Maybe. How about different tax rates based on MPG? Just a thought.

Soo, you're making me pay tax on a car, and tax at the pump, so that I can have a car that fits my needs? I like the thought theory, but NOT the application. Under that process, I would call it fair that a higher mpg car should be taxed 2x at sale, to make up for the gas.:eyebrow:

Why don't we allot money from our annual taxes and put it towards alternative energy sources? THAT, I would support! At least I could see where it was going....:coffee:

I would support higher taxes for lower mpg vehicles.....it has to go that way...it is totally fair, IMV.

High gas prices are the best thing that could happen, painful as it is. It has changed how my family lives, because it finally pinched. The pain must correlate to the usage---reality. We still have big rigs, but we drive them about half as much. if we had smaller cars, we could drive more.--this forces people to choose, up against the brick wall of reality.

Our love for nature and fish will not stop us from driving somewhere. The need to buy groceries and medical care will.

David, hey, could you please send that to my friend Barbara Streisand?...tell her to get back to us.

yikes, Red. Yikes, yikes...what is the world coming to? This is getting to be like a science fiction movie. Nations scrapping for resources...

will do :D

catherine96821:
I would support higher taxes for lower mpg vehicles.....it has to go that way...it is totally fair, IMV.

High gas prices are the best thing that could happen, painful as it is. It has changed how my family lives, because it finally pinched. The pain must correlate to the usage---reality. We still have big rigs, but we drive them about half as much. if we had smaller cars, we could drive more.--this forces people to choose, up against the brick wall of reality.

Our love for nature and fish will not stop us from driving somewhere. The need to buy groceries and medical care will.

Agreed. If I could get away with a smaller car, I would in a heart beat. But the amount of stuff I move/haul/do favors for increases the usefulness of my jeep!

I think if higher MPG are going to be taxed 2x, so should smaller cars.:coffee:

Biodiesel... grease... not just for lunch anymore... plus, with all the new fast food places going up, soon the fast food industry will be able to outpace our need to seek new fossil fuel resources... whaddya think?

Ethanol looks good. But i've also read that by the time you factor in fuel for the tractors & such, fuel to transport it & everything else involved, it takes 7 gallons of normal fuel to produce one gallon of ethanol at the pump.

How that makes any sense from either an econimic or envornmental perspective is beyond me.

We suffer from a lot of NIMBY here. AL, MS, LA & TX all have rigs off their coasts. What makes FL so special that there should not be any there?

Wayward Son:
Ethanol looks good. But i've also read that by the time you factor in fuel for the tractors & such, fuel to transport it & everything else involved, it takes 7 gallons of normal fuel to produce one gallon of ethanol at the pump.

How that makes any sense from either an econimic or envornmental perspective is beyond me.

We suffer from a lot of NIMBY here. AL, MS, LA & TX all have rigs off their coasts. What makes FL so special that there should not be any there?
reefs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom