Offshore drilling bill passes house - CONTACT YOUR SENATORS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bruehlt

Contributor
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060630...olrGWOs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OXIzMDMzBHNlYwM3MDM-

The house of representatives has passed a resolution allowing drilling off of the coastal shores of certain areas of the united states.

For those of you that have dove Florida, and California - you know how pristine and beautiful these areas ARE. If you have ever dove Galveston Bay, in Houston TX, you know how HARMFUL allowing this to occur can be!

Contact your senator and urge them to NOT SUPPORT this measure! Its time that we put forth efforts to look towards NEW and RENEWABLE energy resources, and stop raping this planet for minimal gains, as this would do.

:lurk: :coke:

Already did but it seems like Mel Martinez is getting wishy-washy, i hope not

so how many MPG does your car get
how many cars your household have
how do you get power for your home,
solar, wind..???
yeah it sucks that they wanna drill more, but unless you have a electric car and have no powerlines going to your home, ya really have no room to complain..
if ya wanna hug a tree theres plenty on land
leave the ocean alone

Diesel298:
so how many MPG does your car get

You forgot about the air compressor and the dive boat fuel.

:lurk: :coke: indeed.

RoatanMan:
You forgot about the air compressor and the dive boat fuel.

:lurk: :coke: indeed.
no i didnt forget..
just didnt wannn go on and on and on
but that too
he can fill his tanks with a bycycle pump

I am tortured by this.....

I am familiar with the debate from owning a house with a view of the channel islands in Santa Barbara......and the oil rigs. actually, they were pretty at night...they looked like boats. Problem is, in places that are most likely to be environmentally responsible (American high priced real estate areas) that are also likely to get the most protest. Put these things off poor countries to feed our hefty appetite for oil, and the regulation and enforcement just doesn't happen. (Oil companies are not going to let a spill happen on the beaches of Montecito, etc)

We just gotta switch to ethanol or something soon.

[Poltical content edited by Moderator - Rick Inman]

How about we go nuclear?
http://nuclear.gov/

Ok. I've read the article. It does not cover the central and western part of the gulf (ie Texas).

The first poster discussed diving in florida and california versus Galveston bay. I don't know how many of you are from the Galveston bay region, but I cannot figure out why somebody would choose to dive in 9-12 feet of water with 2 feet of vis on a good day. However the visibility is related to natural conditions, not drilling.

Florida and California do not have large silt rivers flowing into the ocean. The upper Texas cost has this feature. It makes the water murky for several miles out. For instance the Brasos (an upper Texas river ) has essentially no visibility even 150 miles inland. In contrast the southern Texas coast, California and Florida have non-silty rivers flowing into the area and the water is much clearer. Padre Island has green water. Galveston has brown water.

Back
Top Bottom