Offshore drilling bill passes house - CONTACT YOUR SENATORS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drill,drill drill may be or may not be the answer but shouldnt we raise the mpg standards in cars also

Diesel298:
so how many MPG does your car get
how many cars your household have
how do you get power for your home,
solar, wind..???
yeah it sucks that they wanna drill more, but unless you have a electric car and have no powerlines going to your home, ya really have no room to complain..
if ya wanna hug a tree theres plenty on land
leave the ocean alone

This is a classic internet argument: "Unless you are perfect, you should not try to prevent something terrible."

It's nonsense, of course.

Semiconductor chips are getting smaller, but not like at the rates in 1985. You can only push engineering so far.

you are correct and alot of vehicles are exempt, light trucks(suvs), hummers etc, so in actually a smokescreen

bruehlt:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060630...olrGWOs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OXIzMDMzBHNlYwM3MDM-

The house of representatives has passed a resolution allowing drilling off of the coastal shores of certain areas of the united states.

For those of you that have dove Florida, and California - you know how pristine and beautiful these areas ARE. If you have ever dove Galveston Bay, in Houston TX, you know how HARMFUL allowing this to occur can be!

Contact your senator and urge them to NOT SUPPORT this measure! Its time that we put forth efforts to look towards NEW and RENEWABLE energy resources, and stop raping this planet for minimal gains, as this would do.

First rule for ANY industry, DEMAND requires a SUPPLY. Rather than protesting against the oil rigs being built (although I can easily understand why!) why don't we support more of our tax dollars going to support the budding alternative energy sources?

I'd be happy to send my tax dollars that way. Unforunately, I'll still drive the love :sappy: of my life, my Jeep because no viable alternative has been issued in a car that fits my needs.

:shakehead :auto:

trigfunctions:
This is a classic internet argument: "Unless you are perfect, you should not try to prevent something terrible."

It's nonsense, of course.
dont get me wrong
im not a pave the bay kinda guy but so many people are selective about what issues they wanna speak out aganst and otheres they just turn a blind eye to..
i was just making a point....

Many people do care about MPG, and buy accordingly. Those that don't care, don't care. Can you make them? Maybe. How about different tax rates based on MPG? Just a thought.

In keeping with the TOS I'll post things nicely.

First off those that want ethanol for fuel that's a problem in an of itself. It can be done of course but not with the corn crops we currently are trying to do it with. We just can't grow enough of it to make a dent in things. Popular Mechanics a couple months back had a good article on it, in fact I used it on my local Rep to tell her that I STRONGLY OPPOSED Missouri mandating ethanol in our gas and why.

However, we must drill for new oil until we can get alternative technologies in place and I'd bet the OP complains when he fills his tank up. I'd say to anybody who complains, first off do you vote? Second put your money where your mouth is and live as you want others to live. Once your house is in order then show me how well it's working and try to convince me to do the same.

For what it's worth I'm looking for a cheap diesel engine car to convert to a greasel conversion vehicle. I'm not against this stuff, just against mandating I switch to it.
The reasons why are few, and they affect me directly as well as many others. First off I fly planes, I burn auto fuel as part of my STC. That STC says no alcohol. The reason why is simple, you can suffer phase separation as you fly higher and then your engine will detonate which in a plane you can not hear until it stops, then you land. Possibly in your backyard or worse yet on your house. So, planes should not burn this fuel. Second, many marine motors can be damaged by alcohol in the fuel and some companies have only recently started making their engines compatible with it. Some lawn mowers will suffer ill effects as well. Many of our older engines just do not like it, the fuel delivery systems do not like it, in short the older engines will be damaged by it. So that's why I don't like it. I will use it in my newer car, but not in my older cars nor in my plane. Do not mandate I use it unless you want to buy me new engines and few delivery systems.

Can it be done, sure over time we can phase it in. We'll have to realize that we must use other means to get ethanol other than corn and you must remember the corn growers association is huge and thus this most likely won't happen. That's why I sent the article to my rep who oddly enough is a corn grower and strongly in favor of mandating ethanol in fuel for Missouri.

Back
Top Bottom