Offshore drilling bill passes house - CONTACT YOUR SENATORS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafool:
Why did they drill off the coast of Louisiana and Texas?

basically they used up the easier-to-get-to fileds first ... now they have to start
branching out to more expensive fields where extracting oil becomes unprofitable...

until oil hits all-time highs

they clearly expect this trend to continue, or they wouldn't be willing to plunk down
huge sums of money whose returns they won't see for at least 10 years

my sister works with Exxon Mobile; they have cornered the African market,
along with Shell (the next big thing). that has left a lot of smaller companies
scrambling for sources of oil as the existing US fields start to dry up.

basically, you're looking at most existing US sources of oil dying within 10 years,.
and what's available (save for Alaska, which i don't know about) is tough fields
with costly extracting needs.

So, Andy, you don't think the Middle east quagmire has anything to do with it?

I guess I thought maybe drilling in Alaska, etc is getting a fresh look since we have

2,500 dead men. (if you assume that we are there for oil, which I do not)

C, i am not sure what the reserves in ALaska are ... but my guess is that it's
probalby peanuts compared to the reserves in the Middle East, Russia, and Africa

that's where the big oil is. even Venezuela pales in comparison (reserves wise),
i understand ... not sure

ooops... here's oil reserves worldwise. surprisingly, Canada is second, due
to what once were thought to be unprofitable reserves:

1. Saudi Arabia..............261.9 billion barrels
2. Canada....................178.81 bb
3. Iran.........................125.8
4. Iraq..........................115.0
5. Kuwait......................101.5
6. United Arab Emirates... 97.8
7. Venezuela .................77.2
8. Russia....................... 60.0
9. Libya........................ 39.0
10. Nigeria.....................35.3

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0872964.html

catherine96821:
thanks, nice article.

funny, first you say you don't understand people thinking they "deserve" something. You sound like you think you deserve cheap gas to me.

I actually do wish gas would go to $4 a gallon to force people to change. As I stated before, I believe that people will not change their habits until it becomes economically feasible for them to do so.

catherine96821:
funny, first you say you don't understand people thinking they "deserve" something. You sound like you think you deserve cheap gas to me.

You quoted him out of context. He then mentioned, "think of the ripple effect," and backed up his statement. That statement wasn't about him, but to justify his next statements.

That said, I think the war with Iran scenario was funny... if that happens, the U.S. will REALLY look bad. Iran isn't _anything_ like Iraq. Sure, they have an out-there, anti-U.S. leader, but as a populous, they are educated, proud, and are not under threat by their gov't. I don't anybody really sees them as a big threat. They do need nuclear energy -- it's just whether or not the they can manufacture their own stuff, or if it will be provided by the U.S. Obviously they'll fight for their own rights. Oh yeah, there are those stubborn rights again.

- ChillyWaters

Well, as I understand it, the amount that is available to us in shale reserves is, at current prices, economically retrievable.

And, the desire to drill off of FL is not new, it just has a lot more authourity with the high(er) gas prices.

bruehlt:
I actually do wish gas would go to $4 a gallon to force people to change. As I stated before, I believe that people will not change their habits until it becomes economically feasible for them to do so.

maybe you should read my posts, cause you are preaching to the choir. I said that five pages ago. Financial squeeze will chnage people's habits.

. maybe you should move someplace where life is not incompatible with the weather....that would help. NO AC, not heat...no roadtrips! My gas is already higher than yours.

scubapro50:
sounds like another "NOT IN MY BACKYARD" attitude to me ...

Damn right not in my back yard! I moved to Fl for a reason, I want to be able to breathe clean air, and drink clean water (which, unfortuantely due to the greedy b@stards in Miami that are contaminating the aquafer due to their deep well injection - may not be able to).

I don't want this crap here - period. We have the money to fight a war (that in my opinion we shouldn't be in, but I don't want to start an argument on this thread about that), we have the money to go back to the moon - yet we don't have the money to get our oil addicted butts off oil and onto something that will actually make a difference changing this world (including politics).

H2Andy:
who wants to drill? oil companies

why do they want to drill? will make them money

why has there been so little drilling in the area? becuase it's expensive and it only
makes the oil companies money if the price of oil goes through the roof

now the price of oil is going through the roof

now drilling in the eastern Gulf of Mexico can be profitable for the oil companies

now they want to drill

bottom line, boys and girls

these are businesses. they're there to make money. they don't really give a
rat's behind about a better tomorrow.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :clapping:

scubafool:
Well, as I understand it, the amount that is available to us in shale reserves is, at current prices, economically retrievable.

yeah, i think so... finally ... but the reserves aren't there ... it's just a quick
buck for the oil industry ... they can keep selling oil at high prices and making
money (their priority).

i think we need to start figuring out ways of doing without it

basically looking to drill oil in the US is like looking for gold in the West. you might
find some here and there, but it's mostly gone. you really need to look elswehere or
try to start figuring out ways to do without it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom