Offshore drilling bill passes house - CONTACT YOUR SENATORS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No offense but Orlando is not the eco epicenter.

Don't you guys have long commutes there? I thought it was pretty spread out.

Whose backyard do you want to drill in?

me, if I had a job in the city, I would live right smack in the middle, I think.

Maybe the moral of this story is be nicer to Canadians!

scubafool:
Well, as I understand it, the amount that is available to us in shale reserves is, at current prices, economically retrievable.

And, the desire to drill off of FL is not new, it just has a lot more authourity with the high(er) gas prices.

It may be economically feasible, however the amount of energy it takes to recover oil from shale and tar sands is amazing!

catherine96821:
Who's backyard do you want to drill in?

i wish we were pouring money into finding an alternative to drilling anywhere

bruehlt:
Damn right not in my back yard! I moved to Fl for a reason, I want to be able to breathe clean air, and drink clean water (which, unfortuantely due to the greedy b@stards in Miami that are contaminating the aquafer due to their deep well injection - may not be able to).

I don't want this crap here - period. We have the money to fight a war (that in my opinion we shouldn't be in, but I don't want to start an argument on this thread about that), we have the money to go back to the moon - yet we don't have the money to get our oil addicted butts off oil and onto something that will actually make a difference changing this world (including politics).
'DAMN RIGHT" !!!!!! ... looks like we didn't learn anything from Viet Nam. I say get our boys home and let the Arabs fight it out .... we can give a lot of our returning soliders jobs on those new oil rigs we just drilled ...

catherine96821:
Whose backyard do you want to drill in?
Mine.

me, if I had a job in the city, I would live right smack in the middle, I think.

There is not enough money to convince me to move to the smack dab middle of Orlando, or any other city, for that matter.

here's an interesting statistic:

in 2004 (expect things to have grown since then) the top oil user in the world
was the US.

it used up more oil than the next five users combined: China, Japan, Germany,
Russian, and India, and still had room for half of what the next country (Canada) used.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922041.html

we use a lot of frigging oil

catherine96821:
No offense but Orlando is not the eco epicenter.

Don't you guys have long commutes there. I thought it was pretty spread out.

Florida has problems of its own (major urban sprawl) - yeah its bad! That and all of the over priced real estate here make things difficult.

Who's backyard do you want to drill in?

I don't want them to drill at all - however I realize that it will not happen. I am optimistic that in the US since we have all sorts of money and brains that we can be the first to figure out a real alternative to our energy needs rather than resort to raping and pillaging our land! :)

H2Andy:
here's an interesting statistic:

in 2004 (expect things to have grown since then) the top oil user in the world
was the US.

it used up more oil than the next five users combined: China, Japan, Germany,
Russian, and India, and still had room for half of what the next country (Canada) used.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922041.html

we use a lot of frigging oil

That's what scares me!!! Well that, and the fact that China will surpase us in the future.

me too, actually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom