Offshore drilling bill passes house - CONTACT YOUR SENATORS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tigersharks77:
I agree that there will be new technology, but that technology isn't coming out next year, so how are we going to lower fuel costs in the interim? When that fancy new technology does hit the consumer market, do you really believe that every American will be able to go out and purchase it? We will need oil for many years after this new technology comes out to allow those of us that can't afford to go out and buy a new car to be able to fill up our gas tanks.
The new oil rigs will take a while to produce more oil too. So what do we do in the interim? How about drastically increasing research and development funding for energy efficiency and alternative fuels? Provide tax incentives for reducing fuel consumption. Offset the custs by cutting subsidies to oil companies and taxing their windfall profits.

Eventually we will have to develop more efficient devices and alternative fuels. Why not make that a priority now, just like Kennedy launched the mission to the Moon?

MEL-DC Diver:
I can see where you're coming from with the funding of the technology Chilly, but you really need to have a more price driven solution. If you purchase a 40mpg hybrid to replace your 20mgp SUV and the price of a gallon of gas doubles, then the impact to you personally is non-existant. The oil you didn't use is now available on the market and since the price isn't going up due to increased demand, someone else is just going to take it and use it. You may be able to say you did your part, but did you really?

Well, let me be the first to say, thank you, for your wise approach to conservation. I'll walk down the road and thank all the gas guzzler drivers for doing their part. They have performed well.

Sure, me reducing my gas consumption by 40% has little effect, but if more people would follow, that would be a big difference. But, conversely, how much of a change does your SUV make? Hypocrit?

I know all about economics and supply/demand, but there are _many_ more ways to increase price of oil. Taxing SUV owners more would be the first step, and gas in general as well. And there is more the gov't can do to increase standards. And technology is already shifting. No, we don't need more people thinking that their SUV driving antics are actually beneficial to the world.

Perhaps I'll do my part in environmentalism. Perhaps I'll become a commercial fisherman to help deplete the coast's fish stocks. Only until we start to run out, and fish prices go up, will people start to take notice of any problem, right? Oh, I could use this logic on so many levels. I'm starting to feel better already.

- ChillyWaters

H2Andy:
wow... there are so many issues being discussed here... let me see if i can sum them up for my own benefit:

1. everybody seems to agree the Earth is on a warming trend.

2. not everybody agrees that the warming is due to man-made causes.

3. everybody seems to agree that man-made emissions contribute to the warming.

4. would it follow that since man-made emissions contribute to the warming it would be a good idea to try to limit them?

5. risk of oil spills from off-shore drilling is minimal.

6. the off-shore sites will create new habitats for fish in the area.

7. the US needs to free itself from foreign oil production; producing oil in the US is a good idea in this respect.

8. overall, the US needs to move away from an oil-based economy; finding alternative sources of energy is a good thing.

9. a viable alternative energy source is not available yet; thus, we need to continue depending on oil until such a source is found

how's that?

Don't 2 & 3 conflict - or maybe that's the point?

somewhat ...

it's two different points:

1. man can't cause the global warming to begin with; but

2. man's emissions can certainly contribute to the warming once it's underway

Chilly...you really have a way with words. He makes some of the best points, even if you don't agree. We should be happy their is some fresh material to ponder.

MEL! how could you forget my point, THAT I deserve my SUV?

I agree, this is one of the best conversations I have seen on the subject, and I am

thankful we are "allowed" to discuss it. I did not know about "dimming" phenomena,

and it makes me wonder about all those contrail experiments being done in SoCal.

H2Andy:
2. man's emissions can certainly contribute to the warming once it's underway

So basically, we should cut back on the beans to eliminate "man's emmissions"?

sorry, couldn't resist :D

frag, nobody said nothing about giving up black bean soup!!

:lol:

ChillyWaters:
Well, let me be the first to say, thank you, for your wise approach to conservation. I'll walk down the road and thank all the gas guzzler drivers for doing their part. They have performed well.

Sure, me reducing my gas consumption by 40% has little effect, but if more people would follow, that would be a big difference. But, conversely, how much of a change does your SUV make? Hypocrit?

I know all about economics and supply/demand, but there are _many_ more ways to increase price of oil. Taxing SUV owners more would be the first step, and gas in general as well. And there is more the gov't can do to increase standards. And technology is already shifting. No, we don't need more people thinking that their SUV driving antics are actually beneficial to the world.

ChillyWaters

I drive my gas guzzler very happily for a number of reasons. (Camping equip, diving equip, moving stuff since my family has a habit of moving every 4 yrs, going to school, carpooling, DDing, shopping for groceries) :light: If I could find a more fuel efficent car, I would switch. But I can't.

Why are you going to tax me more? I'm already paying for a bigger car ($37,000 OMV) and paying more for gas. I'm pretty sure you don't spend $75 on filling up a car like my father has to...

Back
Top Bottom