Offshore drilling bill passes house - CONTACT YOUR SENATORS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

honest about it and got lambasted

that is the understatement of the year. The fact that we did not sign it is all most people got on their radar. Who is running PR for the United States of America?...because they SUCK.

RICoder:
You're a little bit off on that...gas prices in Europe have more to do with the supply chain than they do with taxes.

Actually, that's not quite on the mark. In most European countries the tax is more than 50% of the cost.

The following are last week's prices in U.S. Dollars per U.S. Gallon. I've rounded to the nearest 10 cents. Data provided by the International Monetary Fund.

UK - $6.00 ($3.90 of which is tax)
Germany - $6.00 ($3.80 of which is tax)
Italy - $5.90 ($3.10 of which is tax)
France - $5.70 ($2.80 of which is tax)
Finland - $4.00 ($2.60 of which is tax)
Norway - $6.30 ($4.00 of which is tax)

and some non-European benchmarks:
U.S.A. - $2.40 ($0.40 of which is tax)
Brazil - $3.10 ($1.00 of which is tax)
Ghana - $2.50 ($0.30 of which is tax)
Saudi Arabia - $0.90 (no tax)
Venezuela - $0.50 ($0.20 of which is tax)
Canada - $2.80 ($1.00 of which is tax)
China - $1.75 ($0.50 of which is tax)

-Ben M.

This all reminds me of a recent South Park episode.

catherine96821:
that is the understatement of the year. The fact that we did not sign it is all most people got on their radar. Who is running PR for the United States of America?...because they SUCK.
are you talking about the mainstream media and...I digress

just saw this thread and thought I would add my .02 cents. oil rigs make for some great spearfishing. I am all for them. more structure = more fish, and oil floats if it seeps out. I have heard there are certain creatures that consume the seepage as well

Ironhed:
just saw this thread and thought I would add my .02 cents. oil rigs make for some great spearfishing. I am all for them. more structure = more fish, and oil floats if it seeps out. I have heard there are certain creatures that consume the seepage as well

Is that a Grady White in your picture? I'm Jealous!!!:D

trigfunctions:
Radinator, your links are typical of the phony distractions against the proven science. they quibble over minor details while ignoring the bigger picture.

Human activities are adding to the CO2 which will change the climate. There is no real debate against those facts.
The first part is fact. The second is a conclusion. We can debate your conclusion, can't we?
The only debates are over what exactly will happen and when. Those questions are too difficult to predict with 100% accuracy, but that's really irrelevent.
Irrelevant? How can they be irrelevant? If the effect will be small and happen thousands of years from now, then we can safely ignore it.
The big picture is that we are going to radically change the planet's weather systems if we don't take steps to stop soon.
You just jumped from "we don't know how bad or when" to "bad and soon!"
What is there to lose by trying to reduce CO2 emissions? NOTHING.
Nothing more than the potential to competely destrory the global economy. Kyoto has already cost over $200,000,000,000. Canada estimates that complying will cost them 3% of their GDP, for no measurable results.
Any losses in oil industry profits will be offset by profits for someone else who comes up with the new technologies.
Yes, let's redistribute wealth based on your personal mores. Your assertion that any decision is all upside and no downside alone makes me question your critical reasoning.

Can't help but jump in here after reading the speculations of folks. Here's my 2 cents:

Oil drilling and refinement in the US are inevitable due to the US's consumption of fuel. We need gas at least for the next several decades. The automotive industry is not making changes fast enough to drive in a purely alternative energy state. Homes and businesses are making no efforts to change methods of heating and cooling. While everyone has pointed fingers at SUVs, oil & gas are an integral part of the US economy whether you drive an SUV or a motorcycle, you are still a consumer of those products. Transportation is the driver of our economy. Imagine what it would be like if half of the trucks transporting one single universally used product (i.e. milk) were stopped from transporting to save fuel in the US. It would save a lot of money in fuel. Milk costs would shoot through the roof and the same people complaining about gas prices would complain about getting those trucks on the road to deliver milk becasue of the high milk prices. No one wants to be inconvenienced by a perceived excessive cost on goods or lack of income in order to maintain their current lifestyle. People tend to be simplistic and only think of themselves and their current situations rather than the future. Alaska has the largest known untapped oil reserves in the US. Let's drill what we can for oil and reinject the wells for natural gas retrieval. This makes good sense for the state, the US and Canada.

As far as driving an SUV, I will not compromise my safety for the sake of a few dollars a year in gas. I receive a Permanent Fund Dividend check annually ranging from $800-$1900 annually which is from the oil money itself. Why shouldn't I spend it on whatever I want? While driving a mammoth SUV is overkill in warm metropolitan areas, driving a small car is impractical in winter in suburban and rural areas in Alaska.

DallasNewbie - what I meant was, we don't know exactly how the climate is going to change. Will some areas get more or less precipitation? Will water temps in a certain area get higher or lower over the next ten years. Those very specifc details can not be forecast accurately and are irrelevant to the discussion. But, it is very clear that big changes are going to occur and they are going to be very disruptive, regardless of exactly what the details are. Will it be ten years from now or 100? No way to know for sure, but I'd rather act now than wait until it's too late.

Changing fuels and reducing CO2 emissions will in no way destroy the world economy. That is complete nonsense. Every cost paid by one party is a profit made by another. Reducing oil industry profits by substituting a different fuel isn't "redistributing wealth". It's making the oil industry accountable for the true costs of using their products and encouraging other industries with less damaging profits to enter the free market for the enrichment of the citizenry. That's pure captialism.

Referring to my friends post earlier, a couple of months ago they had a boycott exxon mailing to protest global warming, they were telling people to not buy there gas on such and such day. So a few people i know did but they didnt divest there exxon stock so if thats not misdirected energy what is?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom