Offshore drilling bill passes house - CONTACT YOUR SENATORS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
what, Red? no mommy rant? I know you must drive an SUV. ... Trying to fly under the radar, perhaps? I think the whole global warming/ice age thing is a short term/ long term thing. Both can be true.

I don't drive an SUV. I'm a contrarian and I drive a Infiniti Q45. We have a large conversion van at the office we use to haul things and for road trips with a lot of gear. SUVs just aren't fun enough for me. :)

The older I get, the more I'm aware of just how often predictions based on models turn out to be false. Do you remember the nuclear winter scare? I'm a skeptic unconvinced about anything and shall remain happy sitting on my fence.

All my experience in diving around areas with artificial reefs are positive. Oil rigs seem to create artifical reefs and I don't see that as a negative thing.

What does that mean?

Accepting for the sake of argument that global warming is taking place, does that preclude another ice age? We are talking about the blink of the eye in terms of the life of this planet. Rather than making up temperatures from a time when temperatures were not recorded for historical purposes and covering a period of time that is convenient to a particular side of the debate, the debate should look at the whole history of the earth.

I think too much "power" is given to the human race (and Americans in particular). I happen to believe the planet does a pretty good job of regulating itself, or life would not have developed as it had for the last few hundred million years. The earth gets whacked by meteorites large enough to completely change the ecosystems of the world for decades and somehow Earth survives, albeit changed. And volcanic eruptions like Krakatoa certainly dumps more crap into the enviornment than all the SUV's driving around.

The real scare is running out of fossil fuels. But is that even a scare? As prices for crude increase, it make recoving oil from sources until now uneconomical to tap. There are even some scientists who believe oil is not a limited commodity, that it continues to form today.

I don't know. I don't have the answers. But I do know that scare tactics rarely work. If we all do out little part, it still won't matter in the long run. But I'll still do my little part to conserve when it's convenient.

There is absolutely no reasonable debate against the fact that human activities are contributing to increased CO2 emissions which are changing the climate. None. It is amazing to me me that for some reason, so many people choose to believe oil industry spokespeople over actual research scientists.

If you went to 99 doctors and they told you that you had cancer and needed treatment, but one doctor who works for a cemetary company told you that you were fine, don't do anything, and by the way do you need a plot, who would you believe?

Even crazier to me is that people don't see that this entire 'debate' is nothing more than the oil companies trying to cling to their profits. If we switch to more efficient products and alternative fuels, there are enormous profits to be made by companies that produce and distribute them. It would not hurt our economy - it would probably help it if we are in the lead of the technology. The ONLY people with something to lose by using less oil are the oil companies who, unfortunately, currently control our government.

I had to laugh my friend had a tee shirt saying down with Exxon blah, blah, blah and then an hour later he was bragging how well his portfolio was doing. Come to find out he has no problem with exxon when he is making money, unfortunately most people are like this but fortunately for big oil i guess

Let’s see if my first post here can be constructive and not be taken wrong.

If we can step back and get a wider perspective then what each person asserts in this discussion is accurate even when we seem to disagree, for instance if we look a little further back than the most recent millennium then we see a natural cycle of heating and cooling that seems pretty immutable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ice_Age_Temperature.png

So it does seem that maybe everyone could agree that global warming is happening without agreeing on the cause. The same thing can be said for global cooling I suppose since if we as a species survive long enough to see it the Earth will cool again as well. But at the moment we seem to be in one of the warming cycles.

No one should be blamed for agreeing with the conventional wisdom that is after all why it’s “conventional” because most people agree with it. To look beyond what we are told by any faction that has other motives (like profit or political power) takes courage and vision.

If the conclusion that human emissions are accelerating the warming cycle are mistaken then what difference does that make? We as a species should probably try to agree that creating a minimum impact on our home is a good thing.

Unfortunately we are not a united species and live in a society of conflict so the perspective becomes much smaller and immediate.

For me I think U.S. regulations and the environmentalist faction makes drilling by the U.S much more desirable than most other countries. We can wish all we want that conservation efforts will make an impact on demand but as soon as you figure in China, India and other growing economies I think you just have to fall back to conservation is just good world citizenship and agree we should still try to conserve as well.

Not sure what the answer will be but I have hope when I look at things like the improvements made in the last decades to the dollar per amp hour ratio of solar power and the intent of the auto industry to move toward Hydrogen power.

Agree. You articulated the big picture nicely.

Hydrogen power seems to be the darling.

What is the obstacle?

(I saw a video of a man running his car on water recently. He made it look so simple. Also, I am hearing some buzz about iron ore shavings used as fuel)

deeper thoughts:
What does that mean?

It means I don't have enough facts to get a clear picture of the effects of global warming after reading numerous articles in publications like Scientific American and The New Scientist. Global warming is a scientific gravy train: everyone is rushing to write grant proposals to study the potential effects of it on everything imaginable using assumptions and models that may or may not be correct.

The global warming arguments are too entwined with politics to be believable on any side. So, I sit on the fence.

I'm not opposed to offshore drilling for oil and natural gas at this time.

Make sense

As someone who has lived and dived my 62 years in Louisiana I can speak with some knowledge of offshore drilling. Were it not for the offshore rigs the Gulf off the Louisiana coast would be a barren waste land. Over the centuries the Mississppi River has dumped billions of tons of sediment over the Gulf floor turning it into a submerged desert, no structure for the reef building organisms to cling to so there could be no food chain established that would allow varied species to live. About 1949 offshore drilling began, almost immediately fisherman began catching more fish and more species started appearing. The rigs provided the structure that allowed the food chain to begin.The larva of many species that normally in the past had drifted by with the currents now attached themselves to the rigs. In the early years the enviromental regulation weren't what they are now. I don't know if there was any regulation at all in 50's and 60's. but in the last 30 years I can not recall any major oil spills coming from rigs even during hurricanes. By far most major oil spills have come from oil tanker accidents. The rig have very little oil stored on them where as ships have thousands or millions of gallons in their tanks. Ships that bring in oil from the middle east. The oil produced by rigs is pumped by pipeline to shore as it comes out of the ground. Wells and pipelines have automatic shut off valves that will close when the smallest leak is detected. Thought several rigs were destroyed by hurricanes Katrina and Rita the only significant oil spill was from a barge that was damaged when it hit submerged debris. Without the rigs there would be no diving sites other than the Flower Gardens which is 110 miles from shore. Many of the rigs that have reached the end of their usefull life are being left in place as artifical reefs. If you are a Florida diver you should be looking forward to a new and different diving adventure.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42189-2005Apr10.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom