Official Oahu In May Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done most of my diving in CA in water that mostly ranged from 50F-65F, but that did not seem to increase my resistance to cold. I seem to get cold a little easier than a lot of people. I use a 3mm out here but I use a hood about half the time, whereas most people don't use one at all. It makes a big difference for me. Lots of people wear shorties, but I prefer a full wetsuit and gloves, just in case something unexpected happens. The rock and reef here are sharp, and there are lots of urchins along the rocky shorelines. I had to assist a diver in rough surf on the North Shore recently -- thanks to my gloves (very thin but with leather palms and fingers) I made it out unhurt, but her hands were a bloody mess. YMMV.
Staying in Turtle Bay is inconvenient for reaching most of the boats or shore dive spots, but there is one if not two dive shops in Haleiwa, and you can do shore diving at Sharks Cove.

I've done most of my diving in CA in water that mostly ranged from 50F-65F, but that did not seem to increase my resistance to cold. I seem to get cold a little easier than a lot of people.

Thermal tolerance seems to be more a function of body habitus (more bioprene may mean less neoprene...) and metabolic factors. You can control (to some extent) the amount of bioprene you're carrying, but there's really not much you can do to significantly change your metabolism, despite the marketing claims of fad diet products.

How about Oahu the first week of June? It will be our first dive there? What do you (anyone...anyone) suggest for protection: skin only, skin plus 3mm, 5mm or 7mm? We will be bunking near Turtle Bay on the North Shore. What is the closest and best shop?

David

I live here and dive most weekends during the summer, and I use a 3mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom