Official Oahu In May Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirty-Dog

Frequently Censored
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There's always one of these going on for Cozumel, and when we go there we participate. But never here... let's fix that. We will be on Oahu May 1-13th. We're diving with Kaimana Divers May 1-10. Anybody else going to be there?

I'll probably be out with Kaimana this Sunday am for the wreck(s) dive.

If you're diving with Gabe anytime from the 1st through the 10th, say HI. I'll be the big bald guy with the two ladies. One blond, one brunette.

Will do. As the guy with steel doubles on a Hawaii rec dive boat, I'm easy to spot :D

It's been nice having you guys out on the boat the last few days

Mahalo

How about Oahu the first week of June? It will be our first dive there? What do you (anyone...anyone) suggest for protection: skin only, skin plus 3mm, 5mm or 7mm? We will be bunking near Turtle Bay on the North Shore. What is the closest and best shop?

David

Depends on your tolerance for cold, as the water should be around mid to high 70s. I like just a Lavacore shirt and board shorts unless there's a need for abrasion protection (3mm full) or a long deco (drysuit). Others dive here in a 7mm full with hood plus some layers underneath...I question whether they're sufficiently thermoregulating to be called mammals, but they're quite common.

Closest shop to Turtle Bay that I'm aware of is Deep Ecology in Haleiwa, and they're supposed to be quite good.

I started with boardshorts and t-shirt two years ago. Now I'm diving 3mm full with a lavacore longsleeve shirt under that. What you need all depends on your tolerance for cold. What are temps like where you 'normally' dive?

I did our 10 days of diving in a skin and was never cold. Sue wore a 5mil and was cool a couple times. Kim started with a 3mil lavecore and was cold until she layered another 3mil over it. Then she was only cold sometimes...

I'll post a trip review after a bit.

Back
Top Bottom