Octos....so many to choose from, need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

online21

Registered
Reaction score
ok, I'm sure someone has posted this question before, but I can't seem to find it now.

1. Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo
2. Sherwood Magnum Octo
3. Oceanic Slimline 2 Octo
4. Oceanic Swivel 180 Octopus

if theres nothing really diffrent except price and personal preference, why do I need an "octo" anyway..

If I wanted to just blow some money would not a second 2nd stage regulater be better like having two Genesis GS2000, EOS, even TUSA RS-340 Regulators..

also what is the current opinon of the Intergraded Octo Inflator's (any brand)

Welcome to the board. What brand of primary reg are you using now or planning on getting? If you decide on an octo, you may get a good deal if you buy it as part of a reg package. There's no reason why you can't use a full-blown reg as your second air source, or go the integrated octo/inflator route. Bottom line is it's your personal preference. Compare your options and go with what works for you.

You opened a big can of worms with your questions. Be prepared to get some wide responses. There are extremists on this board that believe it has to be their way or no way at all.

Hey online21;

There is a long thread debating the octopus (or safe second) here. It's a doozie!

Now, I would chose an octopus or what I now know as a backup, that I would not mind breathing from myself. Now, there are different thoughts on this and how it can be or should be done. As an example, I practice to give the regulator that I am breathing from my mouth and I switch to a backup. This alleviates the question, am I giving a regulator that may or may not work to an already panicked diver?" Also, I know my backup works as I checked it before the dive (ALWAYS) and it is as close to my mouth without being in my mouth, hangin' around for the ride but ready for immediate service. BTW I have and use Apeks ATX200/ATX50 (Primary/Backup) and ATX100/ATX50 (Primary/Backup) and in both instances you see I breathe the ATX50 in the OOG scenario when I am donating. That's what I started with owning (ATX50/ATX40) and the ATX50 is a great regulator for anyone (well for anyone with Apeks tastes).

But again, there are many ways. If you decide to use the triangle method of alternate stowage (as in it will be located anywhere between your chin and the lower portions of your ribcage), choose an octopus that breathes easily, has a long hose (38-40 inches) and can be stowed easily and more importantly accessed easily! You do not want to induce more panic to an OOG diver by making him guess where his next breath is, or by giving him a poorly breathing regulator, or by having him/her fight to get the mouthpiece out of the scumball holder or cinched bungee loop you might use. And no regulator should be stowed in a pocket (out of view and nearly impossible to immediately deploy)!

I would shy away from the inflator/alternate system or integrated solutions as well. The inflator hose is typically too short for you (as you keep that one and donate your primary regulator) especially if you want to turn your head to the right, and the hose that is on your primary may be too short to adequately donate unless you have made provisions when you set your gear up.

And finally, no matter what solution you choose, make sure you practice the skill of deploying your equipment. It does no good if, in an emergency, both the OOG diver and you panic because of mis-communication or you just don't know what to do. Practice makes better.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

With kind regards,
Thomas

Oh....sorry 'bout that.
I have an oceanic alpha 8 sport, Paired with the SP-5 Sport Unbalanced Piston First Stage.
Mares Rebel Octopus and an Aeris Analog Gauge tri-pack.
and a Tusa Reef Tourer Conquest BCD...

what I am looking to upgrade to is.
1. Zeagle Ranger BC or the Zeagle Ranger LTD.
2. the SR-1 or EOS but I have herd the zeagles are fantastic.
3. Wisdom 2 computer..

going with the thought of giving my primary to the oog diver then it would make sense to me to have 2 of the same..

Some companies give free parts for life, so you only pay labor on rebuilds. Good selling point to me. You couldnt give me an integrated air source in a BC, but everyones different. 2 complete regs on an h-valve when single tankin for me. Good luck with your final choice.

I bought an "inexpensive" octo with my set when I got it... just to have something. It was worth the money I spent. After trying it out once, I quickly came to the conclusion I would not want to be breathing off of this thing despite its best effort to save my life. I ended up buying Oceanic's GT3 octo, which the only difference between that and my primary GT3 is the yellow, longer hose.

So remember, the octo you buy today, you might be breathing off of tomorrow.... catchy, isn't it?

Ken

I bought an "inexpensive" octo with my set when I got it... just to have something. It was worth the money I spent. After trying it out once, I quickly came to the conclusion I would not want to be breathing off of this thing despite its best effort to save my life. I ended up buying Oceanic's GT3 octo, which the only difference between that and my primary GT3 is the yellow, longer hose.

So remember, the octo you buy today, you might be breathing off of tomorrow.... catchy, isn't it?

Ken

There is truth to that but for me, (and only for me and my buddy) we have inexpensive octos from xsscuba. XS Scuba Altair Octopus reviews and discounts, XS Scuba

They breath pretty damn good and have never free-flowed to date. 80+ SoCal dives.

You don't need an octo in theory. There's no law that says that you have to share air with an out of air diver. You can leave the poor bastard to die legally.

However, if you don't care enough about your fellow diver, then perhaps you might want an octo for yourself. Your second stage can fail and instead of calling out to your buddy (who may share your sentiments about equipping with an octo), you can simply use your own octo and keep on trucking. If this is the case then ask yourself whether or not you would want to breath through a $100 octo, or an octo that is equivalence to your main second stage.

...However, if you don't care enough about your fellow diver, then perhaps you might want an octo for yourself. Your second stage can fail and instead of calling out to your buddy (who may share your sentiments about equipping with an octo), you can simply use your own octo and keep on trucking. If this is the case then ask yourself whether or not you would want to breath through a $100 octo, or an octo that is equivalence to your main second stage.

I agree on the basic concept that my octo is also there for me in case of a primary 2nd stage failure. However, in that case all I want the octo to do is give me a breathable solution that allows me to return to the shore/boat where I will go about fixing/changing my defective 2nd. How is breathes is of little consequence to me.

Octo's are like spare tires to me. I don't need a $250 Steel belted radial, the Glass-belted special for $45 bucks is good enough to get back to the tire store to get a replacement. I've got 3 various and 1 integrated. Never used any yet.
Diving since 71

Back
Top Bottom