Octos....so many to choose from, need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a SP MK25/ S600 & have another S600 for the octo. Since I have been taught to donate my primary (it would probably be suddenly ripped out of my mouth by a panicky OOA diver, anyways) & take the back- up (octo) for myself. I'd rather have something that breathes as well as the donated regulator. I keep my octo bungied on a necklace just below my chin for easy access. Since, as an instructor, I must often demonstrait air sharing, I'd rather know that I can easily get all the air I could ever want at any time. I do make it a point to let a new buddy know which regulator I donate in the event of an emergency.

Don't know if you dive cold water, but i had a cheap octo free flow on me once in cold water ( 38 degrees at 120') I wasn't even breathing the thing. My life might depend on that octo, I'm worth a little more money. Also, I use a Sherwood inflator intergrated octo and have for years. I usually reserve it for warm water. It is easy to find, works well when I use it periodically just for practice. Have used it often at 100' with no problems.
For cold water dives I now use an H valve. It allows me 2 1st stags and 2 2nd stages both sealed. I also use a pony in cold water. Like i said it is MY life. One free low at 120' will make a believer of you. Buy GOOD gear. Your life depends on it. Dive buddies are great, but I try to be self sufficient as much as possible.

Octo's are like spare tires to me. I don't need a $250 Steel belted radial, the Glass-belted special for $45 bucks is good enough to get back to the tire store to get a replacement. I've got 3 various and 1 integrated. Never used any yet.
Diving since 71

That's great you haven't had to use one... but under water is not the time to find out that your spare tire doesn't have enough air to get you to the tire store.

I'd also like to point out that I didn't spend a lot on my GT3 octo... the shop was having a great sale so it was time to upgrade... I ended up giving my other octo away to somebody who didn't have one at all because I felt bad about charging them for it.

Ken

.... If this is the case then ask yourself whether or not you would want to breath through a $100 octo, or an octo that is equivalence to your main second stage.

I disagree with your comment about breathing off a $100 octo. I don't think the cost is the issue, nor the breathing effort. You do need reliabilty and standardization.

Some of the low cost, specialized octo's are made of very cheap materials that can be easily damaged. Also if they have an unusual design, the differences (such as a non-standard purge button) can be confusing to a diver in panic.

FYI I just us a standard Mares Rebel, cost less than $100, is bulletproof and plain vanilla.

My $.02 boils down 2 ways, if your going to use an "octo" then it might as well be the same reg as your primary or if you think you need an "octo" why not just get a fully redundant air source like double tanks or a pony?

I'm in no mood to type but IMHO a pony, of sufficient size, makes much more sense then a plain old octo or even an H-valve and of course dual tanks takes the cake.

But if your argument is simply that octo holders are worthless but the idea of an octo works for you I would suggest you check into some stainless steel bolt snaps and a bit of #24 "cave line" for a safe and secure way to clip off that octo or most anything else.

Oh....sorry 'bout that.
I have an oceanic alpha 8 sport, Paired with the SP-5 Sport Unbalanced Piston First Stage.
Mares Rebel Octopus and an Aeris Analog Gauge tri-pack.
and a Tusa Reef Tourer Conquest BCD...

what I am looking to upgrade to is.
1. Zeagle Ranger BC or the Zeagle Ranger LTD.
2. the SR-1 or EOS but I have herd the zeagles are fantastic.
3. Wisdom 2 computer..

going with the thought of giving my primary to the oog diver then it would make sense to me to have 2 of the same..

I dive long-hose, open water. I have the Mares Rebel as my bungied-backup. I have 4 more on my wife and kids rigs. I have tested it at depth, without issues. It is 100% dependable, a bomb-proof classic downstream regulator. Maybe it's just the way I've "tuned" mine, but it breathes well enough to be used as a primary at recreational depths. (In fact, the Rebel is used as a primary on Mares' "economy" regs).

So....There is no reason you can't continue to use it with your new regulator. For a backup 2nd I prefer "simple & reliable" over "bells and whistles"... and I'd be comfortable using the Rebel as a primary in a pinch.

However, having said all that, it is sometimes easier in regards to getting the reg serviced if you stick to the same brand with primary and octo. See if you can get a "deal" when you buy your new reg.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

EDIT: As a final note, I do strongly recommend testing your octo before and during every single dive. I've seen so many divers not do this, and think it is a serious safety issue.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom